D&D 5E [D&D 5E] Tattered Memories: An Adventure in Tethyr (COMPLETE)

[section]Brue shook hands with the smith, and nodded at him. "New blood. Those were almost exactly Greycastle's words. I'm the 'fresh set of eyes,' wot can maybe make sense of the trouble afoot in Mosstone. 'Least that's Greycastle's hope." She ambled after Dorin, into the shop. When the smith stopped in front of a rack of metal armor, Brue looked at the armor and felt a thrill shoot up her spine. Nice. She eyed the armor. "Could I try on all three, see which fits best? I wouldn't take long." When she left off checking out the armor on the rack and looked up at Dorin, her eyes sparked with excitement.[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
"Absolutely. Just remember that I can make a few alterations if needed. Be my guest."

The dwarf watched as Brue tried on the different armor sets, helping her to don and doff the gear as she went. After donning each set of armor, Brue brandished her truncheon and took a few test swings, shadowboxing with herself. The woman felt equally comfortable with all three armors, albeit she felt like the ring mail protected her better and made up for any weakness in her reaction time.

"Well?"

GM: Character Sheet Update: You are proficient in Medium & Heavy Armor

Last edited:

[section]Brue doffed the last set of armor and pointed at the chain shirt. "I like the chain shirt. It covers, but it's quieter and hampers my swing less." She looked over at Dorin. "Coinmaster Cooper gave me this boiled leather breastpiece. Wore it in a bar fight this morning, with Greycastle. Lived to tell the tale." She grinned at the dwarf, and watched as he worked while she hung up the leather armor and ring mail. Brue complimented, "Yours is better, though. How is it that a dwarf so skilled with the forge is left to spend his days making iron farm implements? She watched Dorin for his reaction, remembering how he muttered "Aye, that's my work" when she first entered his shop. She considered asking Dorin about his family, whether he was the only dwarf in Mosstone, but thought better of it. Dwarves can be titchy about that kind of thing.[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
Dorin looked Brue up and down, mentally calculating the adjustments he would have to make to the chain shirt. Pulling the suit of armor down, he took it to a table and started breaking apart several larger rings running vertically up the sides of the chain shirt to the armpit.

"Well, your fighting skills must be quite good if you were able to last in a fight in that thing." The dwarf gave the discarded leather breastplate a sour look. Between whacks of his hammer, Dorin said, "As for me, I'm clanless. Learned my craft in Calimshan making arms and armor for the Syl-Pasha's army. Eventually, I wandered north on the Trade Way when things down there got a little too heated. Plus, I didn't really like sand all that much. When I arrived at Mosstone about five years ago, the old smith had died from a forge accident, so I ended up taking up shop here. I worked regularly in arms and armor in Calimshan, but around here, it's mostly farm and forestry tools. It's quiet and I appreciate that. At least, it was until this plague kicked up."

GM: Character Sheet Update: Donning the various armor and trying them out, Brue has discovered that she isn't all that agile. Brue has a DEX of 08 with a modifier of -1. Her AC in the Chain Shirt is 12. If you're wondering, you rolled well, which accounted for the nimbleness of your movements as described in combat.

Last edited:

[section]Brue continued watching Dorin work. His fingers were gnarled, but deft. He handled his tools with the air of one long accustomed to detail work. "I got lucky, that's all. Here, I'll take the leather breastplate back to the Coinmaster." Brue picked up the discarded breast piece and tucked it under one arm. "Calimshan?" Brue asked with surprise. "I hadn't thought there were many dwarves in Calimshan." She eyed Dorin with appreciation. "I understand wanting quiet. Hopefully, Mosstone will find its way back to peace and health, and soon." Brue paused. "I don't want to disturb your work any more than I have. I'll come back in a couple of hours to collect the chain shirt. Maybe I'll see you in the tavern later? Janelle said she'd give me a free pint, and I'm hoping she stocks bitter." [/section]
OOC: Hoo, boy. Dexterity 8. I don't believe I have ever played a character with a Dex 8. Should be fun. Next up: trying to figure out whether Brue has the intelligence of a brick. :) Thanks for the armor.

Forged Fury

First Post
"No, there aren't many dwarves in Calimshan." Brue gets the distinct feeling there is more to Dorin's story, but also that he has no desire to delve into it any further.

After a pause, the dwarf said, "Thanks for returning the armor to the Coinmaster, saves me the trip. I should be done with everything this evening, so why don't we meet at the Nymph a little after sundown. Janelle did a pretty good job last night with the food staples the soldiers are leaving us. The drink... eh, it's not bad, but certainly not the best I've had. Not much of a bitter drinker myself, but I believe she has a keg or two."

Hammering away, Dorin asked, "So what's the next step in your investigation?"

OOC: FYI: Brue was built using the standard array, so something had to get the 8 :) She can go with heavy armor (which eliminates the Dex penalty to AC) and melee weapons with the thrown attribute (which allow STR vs. DEX) to offset some of the penalty, although she still gets stuck with a -1 to initiative and less than stellar DEX based checks.

[section]Brue considered. "I don't have a next step in the investigation. I thought I'd return the armor to the temple and see if Coinmaster Cooper is available. I also thought I'd go see Janelle and ask what she knows about when and how the plague started, who was infected first, that sort of thing." Brue stopped, and thought. "I suppose I should talk to the family members of the first few folk who came down with the disease. Ask where the infected people had been recently. But that could be tricky because of, uh, how I look. And because no one likes talking about dead loved ones." Brue looked intently at the dwarf. "Do you have a suggestion where to start? You've been here long enough to know the town and its people pretty well."[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
Pausing in his work, Dorin said, "Well, I'm not much of a detective, but those all sound like fairly good ideas. If you're looking for the person who likely knows the most about the plague, you should talk to Vials. It will probably be painful, he's a gnome after all, but he's the town apothecary and has been working on a cure since the plague started. His shop's up on the north end of the Trade Way, fairly close to the town gates. You can't miss it, there's a large put dug next to it right now." Frowning, Dorin concluded, "That's where the dead things go."

OOC: You would think finding an image of a dwarf with a normal close-cropped beard wouldn't be too difficult. If you happen to be looking around the net, let me know if you find anything.

[section]Brue nodded at the dwarf's disdain of the prospect of conversation with a gnome. Inwardly, she grinned. She was careful, however, not to offend Dorin by outwardly smiling. If the chain shirt she'd tried on was anything to go by, Dorin was a valuable ally and one she had no intention of alienating. Besides, she liked him. "Master Dorin, thank you. I'll look for Vials. And I'll see you this evening at the Mossy Nymph, eh?" Brue moved out of the smithy, and headed toward the Temple of Waukeen, the boiled leather breast piece under one arm.[/section]
OOC: On it re: image of dwarf w/ close-cropped beard. To borrow a phrase from a good friend of mine, I'll try my Google-fu this evening.

[section]Brue wound her way down the byway. When she reached the temple, she stood in front of the front door. Do I knock? Just go in? He said I have a room here for the week. Brue scraped the worst of the mud off her boots, and went inside without knocking. She looked around. Not seeing anyone, she called out, "Coinmaster Cooper?"[/section]

Remove ads