D&D 5E Age of Worms Adventure Path

Tormyr

Adventurer
We split them up in our campaign. Word to the wise, make sure you change the wording on the swords to when you roll an natural 20, not when you score a critical hit. The assassin in my group is generating a wind storm at the start of every round and only the PC with the ring is happy about it.

Personally, I don't like items that grant static ability scores. I don't like the way Gauntlets of Ogre Power or Girdle's of Giant Strength are portrayed in 5e. I've changed them to +2 strength capped at 19, double carrying capacity, can push, trip etc, creatures up to Huge size, and +4 strength capped at whatever is appropriate to the type and frost giants should be a point higher than stone giants, triple carrying capacity, can push, trip etc, creatures up to Gigantic size, and advantage on strength checks.

You can do something similar with Icosiel's Circlet of Persuasion, +2 Wisdom and +2 Charisma (both capped at 18), Advantage on Diplomacy checks, and Suggestion spell 1/day. It should be attuned though. They shoved it the Bag of Holding in my campaign and forgot about it so nobody is aware of the power up.

Did you play this in 3.5, your own conversion, or with my conversion? The Sword of Aqaa generates a gale force wind at 1 creature, not a room (at least how I read it). The plural of "creatures" I think was just to refer to groups of creatures by size class rather than affecting an area. It is a longsword, so an assassin in 5e cannot get an automatic critical with it as it is not a finesse weapon. As it stands, it is most appropriate for a martial class.

In my conversion, the Circlet of Wisdom gives Wisdom +1 in chapter 1, +2 in chapter 6, and +3 in chapter 11. These bonuses can cause an ability score to go beyond 20. The 3.5 circlet of persuasion only granted a +3 bonus to Charisma checks (no mention of casting a spell). So the 5e version could have given advantage to Charisma checks, but I thought a circlet of Persuasion giving advantage to a Charisma (Intimidation) check seemed odd. So I limited it to just Charisma (Persuasion) checks.

EDIT: Sorry, I realize I mixed up the Assassinate class feature with the restrictions in the Sneak Attack class feature. My reading of this along with the intent of the weapon is that the assassin would score a critical hit with the longsword, but it only affects the struck creature, not the room. Additionally, the assassin would not get sneak attack damage.

Last edited:

Pauln6

Hero
Thanks, I had to go back and check the rules lol. He's a fighter/rogue/pact blade warlock, so the rules get fiddly.

We started playing in 3e, converted to 4e with the Champions' Belt, and have now converted to 5e. We're about to play the Prince of Redhand in 5e so I will start using your conversions at that stage and I have no idea how that will play out!

I converted the items myself, so it's my own fault for not spotting the loophole! He's used the wind trick twice and once nearly blew his colleagues into a pool of green slime. I'm going to see how it plays out ;-p

Advantage on Persuasion checks seems sensible.

Tormyr

Adventurer
I converted the items myself, so it's my own fault for not spotting the loophole! He's used the wind trick twice and once nearly blew his colleagues into a pool of green slime. I'm going to see how it plays out ;-p

Hey guys, watch this! Ooops.

Vienneau

Explorer
New questions:

1) They're in the lizardfolk lair, the allied with the shaman, and they destroyed the leaders. Everyone is friendly now...but how do I get them into the Egg Chamber?

I've got some ideas, I'm just curious what other people did.

2) I'm looking at the Hall of Harsh Reflections. On first read, 2 years ago, I remember not being impressed - they're in a big city but the adventure is all about getting them into a dungeon again.

Which brings me to...there's a single hook to find the warehouse? There's an attack at the tavern (hopefully they're staying there!) and the assassin often gets away (or so it would seem). So without the assassin getting captured, and the symbol being seen, how do they know to go to the warehouse?

How did other people handle it?

Tormyr

Adventurer
New questions:

1) They're in the lizardfolk lair, the allied with the shaman, and they destroyed the leaders. Everyone is friendly now...but how do I get them into the Egg Chamber?

I've got some ideas, I'm just curious what other people did.

2) I'm looking at the Hall of Harsh Reflections. On first read, 2 years ago, I remember not being impressed - they're in a big city but the adventure is all about getting them into a dungeon again.

Which brings me to...there's a single hook to find the warehouse? There's an attack at the tavern (hopefully they're staying there!) and the assassin often gets away (or so it would seem). So without the assassin getting captured, and the symbol being seen, how do they know to go to the warehouse?

How did other people handle it?

1. My group captured a fleeing lizardfolk at the keep, befriended him, and used him to slip past the patrols. They talked to the shaman and got him on their side and managed to take down the chief in a many on one fight where the Shaman went fire elemental to keep the other lizardfolk away. The shaman then cast water breathing on them so they could get to the egg chamber. The sorcerer fireballed the kobolds, and they took the black dragon egg. They lashed that to the Paladin to carry on their way back home. When the egg hatched, the sorcerer fireballed the paladin, and they had several doses of brown paste to make the potions.

2. My group foiled the murder but did not follow up on the symbol. They had caused some other problems so I had them thrown in jail. In the middle of the night, the guards had a shift change. The new guards tossed in canisters of knock-out gas. They and their stuff were taken to the holding cells where they figured out how to break out. The crazy guy can also give a vision about the warehouse. The replaced party member can also give some suggestions to follow up on.

Last edited:

Vienneau

Explorer
Why did the Shaman ask them to go to the egg chamber? Or were they just personally curious?

My players keep re-directing the green worms plot to other agents, and they're not catching on to all the green worm clues. I need to engage them more! But in the meantime, I want to get them into the egg chamber because I think it's an interesting scene.

Putting them in jail might be the way to go. They *do* tend to get themselves into trouble. I kind of want some other small city adventures/encounters to keep them occupied, and to get them into trouble...

Tormyr

Adventurer
Why did the Shaman ask them to go to the egg chamber? Or were they just personally curious?

My players keep re-directing the green worms plot to other agents, and they're not catching on to all the green worm clues. I need to engage them more! But in the meantime, I want to get them into the egg chamber because I think it's an interesting scene.

Putting them in jail might be the way to go. They *do* tend to get themselves into trouble. I kind of want some other small city adventures/encounters to keep them occupied, and to get them into trouble...

I do not remember fully (it was 3 years ago). Because of the approach they took (talking their way in rather than slaughtering), killing Ilthane's agent, and healing a sick Lizardfolk, the shaman thought there might be more going on and asked them to take a look at the egg chamber in case something else was wrong.

Vienneau

Explorer
Very minor correction - Shukak is listed as CR8 but only 1100 XP in Encounter at Blackwall Keep. Should be 3900 I believe.

And in Hall of Harsh Reflections under Event 3, it says it's a DC 11 Charisma (Investigation) check, but should be Intelligence.

Also, I like the reference to "each minute before the PCs show up" and "after the PCs show up", but was momentarily confused as the attack happens when "at least one PC" goes to bed and I imagined some would be left behind (my group tends to split up at night).

Last edited:

Tormyr

Adventurer
Very minor correction - Shukak is listed as CR8 but only 1100 XP in Encounter at Blackwall Keep. Should be 3900 I believe.

And in Hall of Harsh Reflections under Event 3, it says it's a DC 11 Charisma (Investigation) check, but should be Intelligence.

Also, I like the reference to "each minute before the PCs show up" and "after the PCs show up", but was momentarily confused as the attack happens when "at least one PC" goes to bed and I imagined some would be left behind (my group tends to split up at night).

I did a slightly oddball thing to model the 3.5 Gather Information check and combined Charisma with Investigation. It is one of the few cross ability skill checks I use, but it seems to help a larger group be able to contribute something without usually having anyone really good at it. In my experience, there are few PCs that are good at Investigation and Charisma, but lots are good at one or the other.

Thanks for finding the typos. I am building a list of stuff to hit on a second pass through all of these documents.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Playing Blackwall now, the Shaman tells them. The PC saw the worm coming out of the lizardman they did kill, the others relayed it to the Shaman. The Shaman knows something is up with the obvious physical changes in some, and as a paragon of the lizardfolk race would not react well.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Remove ads