Terminator: Genisys (spoilerrific trailer, ye have been worn)

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Seriously, all the surprises this film could have are gone. Still gonna watch it though.

[video=youtube;rGSxss7gWak]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGSxss7gWak[/video]

Seem they are going with a full retcon/reboot. It makes sense to have the present day heroes the humanity's ast hope. No need to worry about the future anymore. Emilia Clarke is rather convincing.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
oh what a twist - although sad spoiler!!!!!

still I'm most interested in how they handle the Arnold vs Arnold fight

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Surprised there isn't a more active thread on this movie.
Saw it yesterday as part of an extended birthday celebration (too long to go into, and not interesting to anyone not involved).
Aside from not being able to spell, the movie was actually pretty enjoyable. (Yes, you read that correctly: two movies in one weekend that I'm not trashing!)
However, sitting behind me was a family with two small children. I'm guessing about 3 & 5 yo. What kind of idiot brings a child that young to a Rated R movie? Turning the trailers (Paranormal Activity 4:why is this idiotic franchise not dead yet) and some other movie (I married Loki and moved into his gothic victorian haunted mansion and life is going wrong), the kids were screaming in terror. Finally, the parents got the idea and left. So they paid about $70 for four tickets (Imax 3-D movie tickets are expensive in CA) to a movie they didn't end up seeing. I cannot imagine what was going through their heads. An amazingly egregious failure in judgement! That's almost as bad as showing a toddler the original Robocop movie (yes, I know someone who did that, and wondered why his kid was having nightmares and wetting the bed).

Meliath1742

First Post
Definitely not for young children...total brain loss on those parents. I enjoyed the movie and felt it moved back to the original story line very well. I was impressed how well an aging Arnold fit into this movie. Terminator movies are not fine art...but for me this was an entertaining movie and must see for fans of the series!

Surprised there isn't a more active thread on this movie.
Saw it yesterday as part of an extended birthday celebration (too long to go into, and not interesting to anyone not involved).
Aside from not being able to spell, the movie was actually pretty enjoyable. (Yes, you read that correctly: two movies in one weekend that I'm not trashing!)
However, sitting behind me was a family with two small children. I'm guessing about 3 & 5 yo. What kind of idiot brings a child that young to a Rated R movie? .
It's pg-13 but your point still stands and as for the name : genisys, which stands for 'General Identification System', the critical files that require an AI to function properly, it's more of a Genius bonus than anything else.

Janx

Hero
I feel its less of a reboot when the show features mechanics (time travel) to reference the previous work and create a new timeline or story.

In some ways, the Terminator series has handled it better than the new Star Trek. In Terminator, from movies to show, it's always been reflective that the time travel has impacted the timeline.

So I'd say they did alright.

I do think the post credits ending was a bit lame. After all that work to kill it, there's skynet in another room. At least with T2, they worked with a dropped arm, which actually was a detail from the prior movie. I would have felt better if the hook for the next movie was some overlooked detail from this film.

I liked it. It was the best of the sequels after Terminator 2, probably. (Though I personally liked Salvation more than most).
A little sad that the trailer spoiled pretty much any surprise the movie had.

The thing that is a bit missing from the sequels to me is that the threat of the Terminator is just not there anymore. Only in the beginning when Reese is fighting the T-1000 you get it a bit, but then afterwards it is mostly gone. Even the "Connorminator" doesn't seem to be that scary. Not if you're well armed and have a Terminator on your side at least.

But what it retained was the "Determinator" aspect - Arnie's Terminator fighting even when losing limbs and taking severe damage. He just won't give up.

The T-1000 seems to still manage to be the most scary of them, and it was interesting that the CGI still retained pretty much the original look from T2. T2 kinda nailed it - However Liquid Metal is supposed to work - this is how it is supposed to look. :)

I agree that the post-credit scene was lame. Come on, you blow up an entire building and don't check if anything is still working? Ts ts.

I guess they really needed to make it clear that there is sequel material. Though it would have existed before that, because we still don't who send the Terminators for (or against) 9 year old Sarah.

Remove ads