The Witcher setting conversion

MoutonRustique

Explorer
It's for a character in a campaign that's over 20 years old and has passed through every edition (but not all the 1e "variations" I see people talk about all the time - just the "regular" red(?) box and up) Many characters have come and gone over the years.

This one was an inquisitor - a sort of "roguish" paladin. He was a multi-class rogue paladin in 3.x, then an avenger in 4. Since the player is a huge witcher fan and created that character fairly in Gerard's image, I thought the idea of your class appropriate. Plus, the mechanics are really cool. :)

But yeah, I'll re-work/fluff the powers to fit with a mostly divine source :
- mutations as induction benefits
- alchemy as "psaums" or something, I've yet to settle on a definite word/concept
- etc.

I needed to understand the intended usage frequency to know where I was coming from when I make changes.

Quickleaf

Legend
It's for a character in a campaign that's over 20 years old and has passed through every edition (but not all the 1e "variations" I see people talk about all the time - just the "regular" red(?) box and up) Many characters have come and gone over the years.

This one was an inquisitor - a sort of "roguish" paladin. He was a multi-class rogue paladin in 3.x, then an avenger in 4. Since the player is a huge witcher fan and created that character fairly in Gerard's image, I thought the idea of your class appropriate. Plus, the mechanics are really cool. :)

But yeah, I'll re-work/fluff the powers to fit with a mostly divine source :
- mutations as induction benefits
- alchemy as "psaums" or something, I've yet to settle on a definite word/concept
- etc.

I needed to understand the intended usage frequency to know where I was coming from when I make changes.
Interesting. Good luck! IIRC Pathfinder actually has an Inquisitor class in the PFSRD which might provide further inspiration.

Alex Hughes

First Post
I think the class revisions and lore explanations are fantastic. The Witcher class itself it well balanced and fun to play. My only complaint/criticism is the addition of the School of the Owl and the relegation of the School of the Griffin to a shield using subclass. In both the graphic novels (albeit, very lightly) and moreso the games the School of the Griffin is the most magically inclined school. Their armour and weapons in Witcher 3 reinforces both that and the practice of sword-play similar to that of the School of the Wolf (that being w/o a shield to keep a hand open for signs). Griffin Witchers are also widely regarded as the most “refined” and even admired of their kind. I know you probably won’t but it’s be so cool if you were to revise or at least revisit the School of the Griffin.

Instead of the added proficiency with a shield at level 3 I think it would be appropriate to give a Griffon Witcher proficiency with a small choice of skills like history, insight, or persuasion (a bit like Xanathar’s Samurai fighter). This would reflect the Griffon’s notoriety as socially well mannered and their propensity to study historical manuscripts (basing this off of Witcher George from Witcher 3).

For level 7, I would give a bonus to their sign potency (again, based of their Witcher 3 armour, forgive the repition) by either allowing them to have advantage on their concentration checks. This is very similar to your execution of the school technique, but it removes the necessity of a shield.

At level 10 I think reflecting the Griffin School’s original purpose as dragon hunters would be a unique if not niche touch. Maybe giving them advantage on tracking or possibly having an ability like the Battlemaster’s Know Your Enemy on specifically Draconic enemies. It’s not over powered but it distinguishes the Griffin Witcher lore-wise and makes it more believable that they are legendary dragon slayers.

Lastly, for level 15, I think the addition of crafting rune stones (while not necessarily lore friendly) would be an appropriately powerful ability in contrast with that of the other school’s lvl 15 class features. I think the cost-of-creation being experience points, like that of potions, would balance it out. I also think needing weapons that were specially made to have runes attached or magically empowered ones (a +1 Sword for example). The rune bonuses themselves wouldn’t necessarily be huge bonuses, maybe like +2, +3, +4 elemental damage, varying chances to stagger, or a slight bonus against armour/natural AC. However if one were to acquire a more powerful enhanced weapon (a +3 Sword) you could stack rune effects. Idk, that one would take some heavy play testing, but I think giving the Griffin School a touch of magic that isn’t alchemy or sign based would make them a fun variation on the Witcher formula as a whole.

Again, I know it’s a lot of work to go back and change such a huge part but I think it would greatly make the Griffin School stand out along the likes of the Viper and Cat schools.

Last edited:

Ok, this is great however, the quote you give at the beginning of the Witcher class section is NOT a quote from any Witcher. That is the Jedi Code from Star Wars, you even give a famous Jedi Master's name as the supposed Witcher. I understand that it's a good quote and it does fit, but it is categorically NOT a Witcher quote. Sorry had to rant.

Remove ads