Making A Custom Gaming Table

A chap named Jan-Oliver Ohloff from Germany has shown off some photographs of his fantastic new gaming table. It contains a 40-inch plasma TV and (apart from the actual TV) was built by hand. It cost around 400 euros ($450) in total - 100 euros for the used plasma TV, and 300 for the materials.

A chap named Jan-Oliver Ohloff from Germany has shown off some photographs of his fantastic new gaming table. It contains a 40-inch plasma TV and (apart from the actual TV) was built by hand. It cost around 400 euros ($450) in total - 100 euros for the used plasma TV, and 300 for the materials.

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

There are also some photographs from the building process.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b4.jpg

hollowheel

First Post
I tote a cheap 43" LED flatscreen (base removed) to games. I slide it onto the table and run maps on Photoshop from my laptop via an HDMI cable. Easy peasy. Since its not a Plasma, heat is not a problem. I've considered getting a piece of thick clear plastic to protect the screen, but honestly, its pretty durable, and we use plastic miniatures.

Highly recommended if you have about $300 to spare.

Nebulous

Legend
I tote a cheap 43" LED flatscreen (base removed) to games. I slide it onto the table and run maps on Photoshop from my laptop via an HDMI cable. Easy peasy. Since its not a Plasma, heat is not a problem. I've considered getting a piece of thick clear plastic to protect the screen, but honestly, its pretty durable, and we use plastic miniatures.

Highly recommended if you have about $300 to spare.

That's a good idea. I'm tired of printing maps, it's too time intensive.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
LED's can get pretty warm, too, although, I don't have a comparison with plasmas. I use an LED monitor at home for my home computer setup, and it seems to have quite a bit of warm air rolling off it most of the time.

Thx!

TomB

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Hi,

Any details on the exact material for the surface, and on how the lets and monitor are mounted? Also, how are the wood pieces joined?

I can make the wood cuts pretty easy, and drill holes for mounting, say, the legs, but the hardware and mounting details would be very useful.

Edit: I can see the 2 by 4's, which seem to be used to make a frame for the top pieces and as mount points for the legs. Any chance of an underside photo for all of that?

Thx!

TomB

hollowheel

First Post
LED's can get pretty warm, too, although, I don't have a comparison with plasmas. I use an LED monitor at home for my home computer setup, and it seems to have quite a bit of warm air rolling off it most of the time.

Thx!

TomB

Just so people aren't put off of this solution-- I use the same size Plasma (actually it's 42") for TV viewing, and the heat it puts off is in an entire different league than my gaming LED. We play in a fairly small place (1 DM/6 players) and no one has noticed any heat issues. YMMV.

Maul

Explorer
I built mine about 4 years ago seen here: http://img00.deviantart.net/0e75/i/2012/359/d/a/game_table_2_0_finished_by_cyderak-d5p60vd.jpg

It looks like Jan-Oliver Ohloff built his table for affordability. Mine was built to last.

Setting the TV an Inch or two below the level of the table distorts the actual location of the minis depending on where you are positioned at the table, thats why I just placed a plexi-glass sheet right onto the TV screen. No distortion.

I also raised the screen 1 inch up off of the table surface to avoid stray dice from making their way onto the TV.

And lastly, those drinks being that close to the monitor would make me really nervous. Thats why I installed cup holders to keep drinks away from the screen.

I know alot of this seems like I am poo poo-ing Jan-Oliver Ohloff's table but I'm not, I'm just observing what he built and pointing out how I would have done it differently.

Remove ads

Remove ads