D&D 5E [5e] Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Axel

First Post
Lets talk blowing the roof off. That sounds like the kind of thing that could more plausibly lead to a friendly relationship than meeting randomly on the road somewhere. :)

A suitably dramatic way to meet. :)

Any preference for where/which noble house/government authority?

Is/was Talashia "on the run" at the time too?

Kynee was sniffing around a government figure, following her "spidey sense" without a contract.

Quickleaf

Legend
I have updated my RG post with background. Sorry it got a bit long. :eek:

Do any of the characters have connections with the elves at all? Darius is heavily involved with them (no specifics) and it would make for a good connection.
I liked your background strory, it sets up Darius' character nicely. The father of the elf he saved should make an appearance in the game as an NPC.

Also, it sound like the father of the human aristocrat he maimed might have it in for Darius? It might be interesting if the man is in a leadership position in the Aedirnian Special Forces which once hunted down the Scioa'tael?

Since Darius is from Aedirn, I wanted to point out a possible connection: Odvara Kringen is from Gulet (a town in NE Aedirn). Even if they don't come from the same town, since they are countrymen it might be a reason why Darius is sent to accompany her, since the elves hope having one of her countrymen as guide will make Odvara's transition easier. Or we could go with them both hailing from Gulet, so that Darius actually knew her from before, and that way they both have a common touchstone in despising the prejudiced human lord who rules the town and surrounding lands.

As for PCs with elven ties, so far [MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION]'s druid is a quadroon (human with small amount of elven blood) whose great-great grandmother is an elven sorceress in Dol Blathanna.

EDIT: Also, I added a map of Lower Posada village to the original post.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Given the nature of Talashia's powers and instability, she can have been on the run at any particular, narratively-convenient moment. :)

Perhaps she was taken in for questioning, and when things got rough she blew her stack... Blowing the roof off of a building implies a Surge. Her controlled spells aren't quite up to that par yet.

Skarsgard

Explorer
I liked your background strory, it sets up Darius' character nicely. The father of the elf he saved should make an appearance in the game as an NPC.

Also, it sound like the father of the human aristocrat he maimed might have it in for Darius? It might be interesting if the man is in a leadership position in the Aedirnian Special Forces which once hunted down the Scioa'tael?

Yes, I was thinking either the father or the Lordling would fulfil the Flaw component of the background traits.

Since Darius is from Aedirn, I wanted to point out a possible connection: Odvara Kringen is from Gulet (a town in NE Aedirn). Even if they don't come from the same town, since they are countrymen it might be a reason why Darius is sent to accompany her, since the elves hope having one of her countrymen as guide will make Odvara's transition easier. Or we could go with them both hailing from Gulet, so that Darius actually knew her from before, and that way they both have a common touchstone in despising the prejudiced human lord who rules the town and surrounding lands.

Sounds good to me, Gulet it is. :)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]!

I have questions regarding multi-classing and the magic without borders feat. Say I decided to go Druid 2/Wizard 1 (which fits with my concept), would the magic without borders feat allow my character to cast level 1 and level 2 spells, or would he be limited to only level 1 spells, since both his druid and wizard levels only give him 1st level spells?

Also, assuming that he is a single classed druid with the magic without borders feat, would he use his wisdom modifier for all spells he casts or Wis for cleric/druid, Int for wizard and Cha for bard/sorcerer/warlock? If he muticlasses druid/wizard, would the answer change?

And to clarify, as a single classed druid with the feat, he needs only to meditate to prepare the wizard spells, right? If he multiclasses druid/wizard, can druid spells (or any non-*wizard spells) be in his wizard spellbook?

Thanks and cheers,

SG

Shayuri

First Post
In 5th Edition, I thought you added up your spellcasting character levels to get your max spell level and so on (with 'half-casters' like paladins and rangers only counting half and Warlocks having some special rules for their spellcasting slots)? Or is that my brain showing me grand visions of a world that can never be? Again?

Axel

First Post
That's a fair summary of it. Casting stat rules I don't remember though... Think it alternates depending on slot source.

My understanding of the feat would mean you can put Wizard spells in your Druid slot, prepare it with medication and cast it using Wisdom. It means multi-classing for spell access is pointless. Though, depending on the wording, you could use the evoker's ability to modify the AoE for, say, shatter (if that's a Druid spell).

Quickleaf

Legend
Hey [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]!

I have questions regarding multi-classing and the magic without borders feat.
Ah yes, I expected so. I'll do my best to answer your specific questions. The general principle of the feat is to let you choose spells from any spell list, not to boost the number of spells you know or the level of spells you can cast. Magic in the witcher setting can be understood in many ways, and besides social restrictions there is nothing stopping a sorceress from learning Druid secrets, or Druid from mastering a fireball spell.

Say I decided to go Druid 2/Wizard 1 (which fits with my concept), would the magic without borders feat allow my character to cast level 1 and level 2 spells, or would he be limited to only level 1 spells, since both his druid and wizard levels only give him 1st level spells?
No, he would not be able to cast level 2 spells.

Also, assuming that he is a single classed druid with the magic without borders feat, would he use his wisdom modifier for all spells he casts or Wis for cleric/druid, Int for wizard and Cha for bard/sorcerer/warlock? If he muticlasses druid/wizard, would the answer change?
I think the spirit of the rule would indicate you use the Spellcasting ability of whichever class you posses a level in of your choice for ALL your spells, regardless of what spell list they come from. So a Druid would use Wisdom for all spells. A Druid/Wizard could choose whether to use Wisdom or Intelligence for all spells.

And to clarify, as a single classed druid with the feat, he needs only to meditate to prepare the wizard spells, right? If he multiclasses druid/wizard, can druid spells (or any non-*wizard spells) be in his wizard Spellbook?
This is a sticky situation, and I'm not sure how to resolve it yet. When I wrote the feat it was with wizards or sorcerers taking it in mind, and those classes have built-in limits on spells known.

Druids, however, prepare ANY spell on the druid spell list. If a druid takes Magic Withhout Borders, it seems excessive to allow them to prepare any spell in the game as that is that clearly is overpowered without a limit on spells known.

So I think we'd need to introduce some sort of limit on the number of non-Druid spells you can learn. What seems fair to me is to use the wizard guidelines, so a 3rd level Druid would know 6 1st-level wizard spells, and 4 more wizard spells of his choice. And he meditates as normal for a Druid to prepare those spells.

================

In the case of a wizard's Spellbook, yes he could add Druid spells (or any other class' spells) to his Spellbook. Since the Spellbook has built in limits (6 1st-level spells + 2 spells/level + discovered spells), this works just fine.

Also during the course of play you can transcribe Druid spells down into formulae that you could record in your Spellbook thru research during downtime if you wished.

raphapork

First Post
Are there any rooms still available for another player? I was thinking to play a warlock that made serious mistakes pacting with an ancient creature, now he regret this but is bound by its will. Like a coward wanting a selfish redemption.

Quickleaf

Legend
Are there any rooms still available for another player? I was thinking to play a warlock that made serious mistakes pacting with an ancient creature, now he regret this but is bound by its will. Like a coward wanting a selfish redemption.
Actually we have reached my 6 player limit, from the looks of things. I appreciate your interest though. If a spot does open though, I will give you a shout!
[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] Hope you had a good trip! When you get a chance, could you confirm that you're still interested and give me an idea of your characters? Gracias, mahalo, and thank you :)

The party so far looks like:

Skarsgard: "Darius Smithson" Scout (hunter)
Steve Gorak: Druid or Druid/Wizard
Axel: "Kynee" Witcher (cat)
Shayuri: "Talashia" Source (storm)

Remove ads