Jurassic World

Ryujin

Legend
I'm not disputing your point, but I do want to point out that, in The Hobbit, the Battle of the Five Armies mostly takes place off-screen, as it were; the protagonist (whom the narrative is following) spends most of it knocked out. That was a deliberate choice on the part of the author.

I was thinking the same thing. The big battle starts. Bilbo gets whacked on the head. Fade to black and wake up to a decimated battlefield. The movie added a bunch of frequently violent intervals that didn't exist in the book, purely for the OMG factor.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I found them to be lacking in emotional depth, without much personality beyond the stereotype given the first time you see them.

And why the heck is a former Navy man a super-expert at animal behavior and training? Are boats somehow similar to velociraptors? That seems like a throwaway - "we need a credible reason for this guy to be able to shoot straight, let's make him ex-military!"

I have a guess that there was a whole "dealing with divorce" subplot that would have given them some of the depth that was missing, but that ended up on the cutting room floor, because "need more teeth".

The movie suffers in 2D for much the same reasons. In the original film, they used many more practical effects. In this film, far more scenes are computer generated... and we can tell the difference.

https://youtu.be/PRh1SC7SV2o

People have all kinds of skills. Sure, he was military for weapons training and physique (and to support our troops: yay). More background or explanation might have been good.
The divorce bit was an explanation for why the mother was so stressed out and over-emotional at the beginning, and why she was so upset that her sister wasn't taking care of the kids personally--the trip was supposed to cement the kids with the notion of family and reassure them that they would have one.
I was surprised that, with all the budget and amazing work making the dinos look real, they couldn't do the same for a mostly static object which doesn't require anywhere near the heavy texture mapping or render time. It's like, well, something I could have done in a week.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The divorce bit was an explanation for why the mother was so stressed out and over-emotional at the beginning, and why she was so upset that her sister wasn't taking care of the kids personally--the trip was supposed to cement the kids with the notion of family and reassure them that they would have one.

I know all that. I am saying that it looked like it was a rather more fully developed subplot that got cut down to that vestigial level.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
The divorce bit was an explanation for why the mother was so stressed out and over-emotional at the beginning, and why she was so upset that her sister wasn't taking care of the kids personally...
What I saw was: Sending young boys to an extreme zoological park for days on a far away island was why the mother was so stressed out and over-emotional at the beginning, and why she was so upset that her sister wasn't taking care of the kids personally. The mention of the divorce completely surprised me and felt very tacked on for no reason.

Bullgrit

Bullgrit

Adventurer
And why the heck is a former Navy man a super-expert at animal behavior and training? Are boats somehow similar to velociraptors? That seems like a throwaway - "we need a credible reason for this guy to be able to shoot straight, let's make him ex-military!"
They could have [should have] just made him a big game hunter, like Muldoon in the original.

This was another of the many things that made me feel like the movie makers were just adding things from a formula checklist.

Bullgrit

Rune

Once A Fool
I was thinking the same thing. The big battle starts. Bilbo gets whacked on the head. Fade to black and wake up to a decimated battlefield. The movie added a bunch of frequently violent intervals that didn't exist in the book, purely for the OMG factor.

And not only that, pretty much every tactical decision made in the movie version was just stupid. Like, just to provide a minor example, the elves leaping over a dwarven shield-and-spear-wall to run suicidally into an orcish charge. Just as an F-U to their new allies.

Or like when Thorin decides to lead a tiny contingent into an obvious trap for the sole purpose of taking down a banner that had already conveyed its message.

Or like...oh, forget it. No point in derailing this thread any further with irrelevant disappointments.

Crothian

First Post
I went and saw it tonight. The theater was packed too the point that ushers where getting people to move to the center to make space for everyone. Honestly, I only ever see that on opening night to big release movies not for movies that have been out almost a month. It was good and I enjoyed it. I liked Park better but it easily is better then two and three combined.

Where the movie did disappoint, for me, was that with all the 3-D tech, in most of the scenes the Helicopter and the panoramic overviews of the park looks like cheesy fake models or children's toys. In several scenes (like the canoes in the river), the scale of the vegetation was way off (either that grass is 10 feet tall, or...) Half the time the conical building looked like something from a train set, rather than a real building.
Indeed, that was something that I noticed, too, and surprised me. The monsters looked good (which isn't to say beyond current standards of recent VFX heavy blockbuseters), but these were off.

Remove ads