D&D 5E First experience using the speed factor initiative variant

I recently got the group I DM to try speed factor initiative*. I've been in love with the idea of this variant for a while now, but I had thought it would be too impractical for actual play. I opted to give it a try following after reading a couple positive reviews, including from @Fralex as well as in this blog post by Angry DM.

*For those who don't know, speed factor initiative is a variant initiative system from pages 270-271 of the DMG. I think it aims to replicate 2E AD&D-style initiative; players roll initiative each round, after having announced their actions, and their initiative is modified by the actions they selected.

Overall, the first session went well. Players were iffy about it at first, but quickly wrapped their heads around the idea. In this session, we had two battles: a small fight against a group of five wolves, and a larger fight against six cultists and a priest, with some bystanders running around.

The first battle went as smoothly as an oil slick on a skating rink on an elf baby's bottom. We went around the table and had the players announce all their actions and bonus actions (but not their movement), and I announced the wolves' actions. Next we rolled initiative for all the PCs, modifying their totals based on their actions, as per the rules of the variant. I rolled initiative once for all the wolves; they all moved on the same turn, but their single roll was modified by the slowest action any of them chose (in this case casting a 9th-level spell while making an attack with a two-handed, heavy, reloading weapon...just kidding, they're wolves). The PCs rolled well and ended up dropping three of the five wolves in the first round before the wolves had a chance to attack. After the last turn of the round, we restarted the initiative process and conducted round two, in which the PCs defeated the remaining wolves.

The second battle was trickier, but worked fundamentally the same way: everyone announced actions, then we rolled initiative. There were two groups of enemies and one group of bystanders, so each group had its own initiative count in each round. The most complicated part of it was remembering exactly what I had announced that each cultist would do on its turn--since I had more creatures in combat, I had more declared actions to remember.

This initiative system adds some neat tactical complexity to the game, because you never know if your target will still be available and in range by the time you get to enact your declared action. There's not really a danger of damaging your allies, but there is a chance your turn will be wasted. On the other hand, this system does change the pace of combat; instead of being an orderly series of turns, every round has two distinct phases, declaration and action, which feel markedly different. This isn't a negative per se, but it is a significant change.

Overall, my experience with this variant was positive, and we're going to continue test-driving it and looking for refinements.

Advice requested: As mentioned above, as DM it becomes exponentially more difficult to remember all of the monsters' declared actions by the end of the round. Our "complicated battle" would have been eminently manageable under the regular system; it wasn't a particularly big battle. The problem variable seems to be the number of DM-controlled creatures in the fight. I could write their actions down, but that doesn't seem like a time-saver (although it may be worth a shot regardless). Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Uller

Adventurer
We've started using this initiative system. We don't bother with the speed factors at all...I describe the scene, giving hints of what the monsters will do and the players describe what they will do, then we roll init normally (modify for dex). It works great, combats are quick and exciting and the players remain engaged because I no longer track their initiative. I just announce my highest score. Anyone that ties or beats it can go, then that monster goes, then repeat until the end of the round.

Uller

Adventurer
As for the advice you are looking for, I don't think the DM needs to declare the monsters' actions out loud. I just declare what, in general the monsters appear to be doing. A little unfair? maybe. But the players do get a general idea of what the monsters are doing before they decide their actions and I let the PCs "win" ties.

If you have to pick a spell or the like, probably jot it down. I use a small dry erase board for tracking init.

So far it's been: The cultists are charging with swords while some hang back with crossbows. The BBEG looks like he's getting ready to cast a spell.

The players don't get to know the specifics. And I have kept it honest. I had a BBEG (the half dragon in HotDQ) stuck behind his body guard in a 5' corridor. The bodyguard died. I didn't have the BBEG change his action to a melee attack. He stuck with throwing a javelin.

Oh...the other thing I started doing is I keep a bunch of d10s handy and place them next to monsters to represent damage done so far. We kept the "bloodied" condition from 4e...so black dice for unbloodied and red for bloodied. That way the players can just see at a glance what monsters are wounded and how much damage they've taken so far. Once the hp dice exceeds the monster's max HP, it's dead.

Tony Vargas

Legend
*For those who don't know, speed factor initiative is a variant initiative system from pages 270-271 of the DMG. I think it aims to replicate 2E AD&D-style initiative; players roll initiative each round, after having announced their actions, and their initiative is modified by the actions they selected.

for a moment there I thought you meant 1e AD&D weapon speed factor.

We've started using this initiative system. We don't bother with the speed factors at all...I describe the scene, giving hints of what the monsters will do and the players describe what they will do, then we roll init normally (modify for dex). It works great, combats are quick and exciting and the players remain engaged because I no longer track their initiative. I just announce my highest score. Anyone that ties or beats it can go, then that monster goes, then repeat until the end of the round.
I like this. It's quicker and dirtier than starting at the top and counting down. I'll probably still use the speed factor modifiers (because that's part of the attraction), but I'm gonna incorporate your suggestion.

As for the advice you are looking for, I don't think the DM needs to declare the monsters' actions out loud. I just declare what, in general the monsters appear to be doing. A little unfair? maybe. But the players do get a general idea of what the monsters are doing before they decide their actions and I let the PCs "win" ties.

If you have to pick a spell or the like, probably jot it down. I use a small dry erase board for tracking init.

So far it's been: The cultists are charging with swords while some hang back with crossbows. The BBEG looks like he's getting ready to cast a spell.

The players don't get to know the specifics. And I have kept it honest. I had a BBEG (the half dragon in HotDQ) stuck behind his body guard in a 5' corridor. The bodyguard died. I didn't have the BBEG change his action to a melee attack. He stuck with throwing a javelin.
Definitely gonna try using this approach. I might try to balance the perceived "unfairness" by declaring the monster's general actions prior to asking my players for theirs.

Oh...the other thing I started doing is I keep a bunch of d10s handy and place them next to monsters to represent damage done so far. We kept the "bloodied" condition from 4e...so black dice for unbloodied and red for bloodied. That way the players can just see at a glance what monsters are wounded and how much damage they've taken so far. Once the hp dice exceeds the monster's max HP, it's dead.
That's not bad. We don't use minis, but normally we do write damage dealt on a white board.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
We roll initiative every round but dont worry about speed factors or declaring actions. We are all having more fun even with this simple variant - just not knowing the order round to round makes things more challenging/exciting.

If I could convince my group, I would actually go all out, and use the card deck initiative system (there was an earlier thread on this idea). With the deck system you dont know who goes next until the next card is revealed.... :)

Advice requested: As mentioned above, as DM it becomes exponentially more difficult to remember all of the monsters' declared actions by the end of the round. Our "complicated battle" would have been eminently manageable under the regular system; it wasn't a particularly big battle. The problem variable seems to be the number of DM-controlled creatures in the fight. I could write their actions down, but that doesn't seem like a time-saver (although it may be worth a shot regardless). Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Write them down. For any battle larger than one PC vs. two or three monsters, I just grab a piece of paper and make a column for each PC and for each group of monsters, then I write down their action declarations and also a note when the action is resolved (e.g. "16 damage" or "miss", or just a checkmark vs. dash). Not only is that useful to make sure we don't skip anybody's turn accidentally, it also is good to have a combat log so you know whether e.g. Bless has already worn off by round 13.

At my table, the rule is that action declarations happen in order of intelligence, lowest first. In practice this means that everyone takes a minute to decide their action for next round, and anyone who's interested asks the guys with lower intelligence what they're doing. E.g. the guy with Int 14 says, "Max [that's me], what are the skeletons doing this round?" "They're shooting at you." "Oh, I guess I dodge then and duck out of sight."

The way I run Dodging is that it starts at the beginning of the round and lasts for the whole round. Spell durations treat the whole round as one big turn, so a spell which lasts "until the end of your next turn" is guaranteed to last for all of next round, and it may also work for part of this round if you rolled well on your initiative and got it off quickly.

Last edited:

Remove ads