What aspect of geek culture does not resonate with you?

This is a thread for confessions. Not for flame war. It's okay to be dead inside. We all are.

What aspect of geek culture does not resonate with you? What is it that just doesn't do it for you? Apart from life itself.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
The aspect of geek culture that I just don't get: The idea that one has to be all in, or you're not a "real" fan.

Bullgrit

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Computers & hardcore computer gaming. I'm a Mac guy because I want to plug my computer in and be up & running for the next 6 years. All my programmer buddies- most of my social group, as it happens- are constantly bitching about performance and tweaking their machines. I really don't care: my machines do what I want and rarely give me problems. OTOH, my Macs have been reliable, no muss, no fuss machines.

On the gaming side, I started off with Pong & a Atari 2600. And, while I like playing computer games, I just don't care for the time suck. So, while my programmer buds are raving about the latest & greatest, I still have a stack of unopened Mac games from when OS X was launched, and my iPad has only 2 games on it.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
The aspect of geek culture that I just don't get: The idea that one has to be all in, or you're not a "real" fan.

Bullgrit

I feel like this is sort of the biggest thing for me. I like geek stuff, I like anime, I like superheroes, I like video games, etc. but I'm not a hardcore fan of any of it. I don't own any comicbooks. I don't own a bunch of action heroes or collectibles or anything. I don't even have an xbox or playstation so I don't have the current games. Personally, I think spending like 60$ on a video game is a huge waste of money. I don't need the extra special edition of video games or tv series or anything. While I would like at some point to got to a Convention, sadly I have never had the money for it.

I guess maybe I'm just half-assed geek, I don't know.

Ryujin

Legend
Computers & hardcore computer gaming. I'm a Mac guy because I want to plug my computer in and be up & running for the next 6 years. All my programmer buddies- most of my social group, as it happens- are constantly bitching about performance and tweaking their machines. I really don't care: my machines do what I want and rarely give me problems. OTOH, my Macs have been reliable, no muss, no fuss machines.

On the gaming side, I started off with Pong & a Atari 2600. And, while I like playing computer games, I just don't care for the time suck. So, while my programmer buds are raving about the latest & greatest, I still have a stack of unopened Mac games from when OS X was launched, and my iPad has only 2 games on it.

I'm the same with computer games. Did a little of the SSI D&D licensed games, way back when, but that's about it. To me it feels more like something that those who would have once been jocks are into, and they were never my crowd. Intellectually I know that's not strictly true but it's the gut instinct, and computer and console gaming seems far too widespread in todays culture for it to be a "geek" thing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm the same with computer games. Did a little of the SSI D&D licensed games, way back when, but that's about it. To me it feels more like something that those who would have once been jocks are into, and they were never my crowd. Intellectually I know that's not strictly true but it's the gut instinct, and computer and console gaming seems far too widespread in todays culture for it to be a "geek" thing.

That's such an odd thing for me to hear; I'm guessing you're way younger than me. But growing up, computer games were ultra-nerdy, and uber-geeky (long before the very concept of geek chic every existed - geek was *not* cool). Computer games were the *antithesis* of jock activities.

Ryujin

Legend
That's such an odd thing for me to hear; I'm guessing you're way younger than me. But growing up, computer games were ultra-nerdy, and uber-geeky (long before the very concept of geek chic every existed - geek was *not* cool). Computer games were the *antithesis* of jock activities.

Actually I'm 51 years old. Yes, back in the day they were very geeky. I just never really got into them. Might have something to do with being dirt poor and not having the money to blow on that sort of stuff. Might just not have been my thing. As to my comments about them feeling like a jock thing, well you could substitute "the popular crowd" for that if you like. When I talk about that I'm talking about how I see them now, not how I saw them in my youth. I think of computer gaming as having been co-opted by pop culture.

Remove ads