What aspect of geek culture does not resonate with you?

MechaPilot

Explorer
The part of geek culture that doesn't resonate with me: the hate. I don't mean people not liking something (that I get). I mean people who 1) apparently feel they must hate something because they like something else, 2) go out of their way to crap on things others like that they don't like, 3) harass people online and/or in real life for expressing rational opinions on the things they like/dislike.

Here's an example: I love both Star Trek and Star Wars (each does different things well, and is entertaining for different reasons). I don't get why some fans of one have so much hate for the other. I recently saw one Star Wars fan say (edited for language) "screw Star Trek." However, I would think that Star Wars fans would still recognize the massive impact that Star Trek has had. Practically an entire generation of NASA scientists was inspired by Star Trek, and their discoveries and inventions have had a huge impact on our daily lives.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The part of geek culture that doesn't resonate with me: the hate. I don't mean people not liking something (that I get). I mean people who 1) apparently feel they must hate something because they like something else, 2) go out of their way to crap on things others like that they don't like, 3) harass people online and/or in real life for expressing rational opinions on the things they like/dislike.

Here's an example: I love both Star Trek and Star Wars (each does different things well, and is entertaining for different reasons). I don't get why some fans of one have so much hate for the other. I recently saw one Star Wars fan say (edited for language) "screw Star Trek." However, I would think that Star Wars fans would still recognize the massive impact that Star Trek has had. Practically an entire generation of NASA scientists was inspired by Star Trek, and their discoveries and inventions have had a huge impact on our daily lives.

That's not geek culture. That's the Internet. You'll find knitting patten aficionados threatening each other with death if you look on the right place. I think we're probably less hateful than political, religious, or sports communities.

Remove ads