D&D 4E Good adventure that shows 4E's strengths?

D'karr

Adventurer
I have stolen from many 4e adventures but never used one in its entirety. Except Keep on the Shadowfell, which I altered so much that in the end it was simply a framework with all my changes tacked on.

Thematically I thought all the adventures had a lot to spark good ideas, but within the published adventure these ideas were seldom fully realized. By volume, Dungeon Magazine had a lot better adventures than anything published in physical form by WotC.

IMO, the best put together "adventure" for 4e was the Neverwinter Campaign Setting. It was chock full of stuff to use and was extremely interesting. However, it is very tied to the Forgotten Realms so it will take a bit of work to decouple it from that setting. By the same token if you are not completely anal about removing it from FR a simple filing of names will do the trick quite simply.

Last Breath of Ashenport in Dungeon 156 was also very good.

D'karr

Adventurer
I forgot, but Reavers of Harkenwold is also very good. A small mini campaign to get the game started. If you feel ambitious you can convert Red Hand of Doom and do all the integration between the Iron Circle and the Red Hand and create a much more expansive "war has come to the vale" type of campaign.

Like most other adventures in 4e I used the locale and some NPCs but severely modified/evolved the adventure. It was the startup of the current campaign, which was a surprise setup to connect to the initial playtest my players did a long time ago. The campaign took the players from Harkenwold, to the feywild where they unfortunately became indebted to the Fomorian King. Then to Fallcrest (4e) by their connection and loyalty to a priest NPC. From there they traveled to the hive of scum and villainy known as Highport (1e) and their fated encounter with the Slave Lords (1e). Here it was revealed that one of the Slave Lords (Markessa) was the sister of one of the characters. This is a thread that they want to pursue (she escaped) but currently have no clues. So they returned to Fallcrest where they encountered the Beast of Averoigne (Clark Ashton Smith), and then back to Harkenwold where they are figuring out that the Iron Circle (Red Hand) is plotting an invasion. Their characters are making all kinds of friends and enemies along the way, with lots of plot threads left discarded or unexplored because their goals evolve over time. All in all the campaign is totally high adventure, high octane, no holds barred action.

That is how I think 4e plays best, and my players are loving it.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I'm coming to the end of my Neverwinter: Year of the Ageless One campaign -yes, it is a campaign set in Neverwinter in the Year of the Ageless One and based heavily upon the Neverwinter Campaign Setting and, arguably, even more on 2E's FR5 The Savage Frontier - and it looks like my next campaign is going to revolve very heavily around Reavers of Harkenwold... albeit with the Zhentarim as the boss of the Iron Ring slavers (as opposed to Iron Circle marauders). And the final BBEG will be a beholder in the Temple in the Sky, a hollow earthmote floating in the sky above the Flaming Tower and reached by climbing a giant chain.

But it's my expanded and adapted version of Reavers that I am most looking forward to running. If it plays half as well as it reads, it's going to be tremendous. Ahhh, Rich Baker, you were one of two WotC employees who actually grokked writing adventures for 4E....

MoutonRustique

Explorer
[...] may I also mention Shards of Selûne which was a DDi adventure published to complement the Neverwinter Campaign Setting. I managed to turn that into a major campaign arc that spanned levels 3-7 and then inspired another arc covering levels 7-9. It's about collecting three MacGuffins but that also allows a tremendous amount of variety as you explore the rebuilding city. Good stuff. And definitely a great way to start a Neverwinter campaign. It also ties in nicely with the Neverwinter character themes if you are using those.[...]
I will second a call for Shards of Selûne - the setting is (the book) is excellent, and it's a very good "tour of the horizon" adventure.

It's great at presenting the place and that alone may be enough to encourage your players into foraging into a region or situation on their own - which is usually a prelude to excellent, excellent games.

[...] Ahhh, Rich Baker, you were one of two WotC employees who actually grokked writing adventures for 4E....
Which would you say is the other ?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Next session, the players will be delving into the labyrinth of 5-foot corridors that is the adventure's classic-dungeon finale, and I suspect it'll be less than ideal.
Extensive mazes can get just deadly-dull. Reducing the crawl to a skill challenge to avoid getting lost can be a decent alternative. If they fail the skill challenge, they still blunder into the interesting areas (eventually), they're just lost...

Use the SC structure as an aid, not a straight-jacket. My preferred method is to have ~4 outcomes per situation presented (2 kinds of successes and 2 kinds of failures) and then I can more easily provide a satisfying narrative that applies to what my players did/attempted to do.
That's a good guide:

Complete success: Success, no failures.
Success: Success, 1 failure.
Marginal success: Success, 2 failures.
Failure: 3 failures, not enough successes. (But, hey, 'fail forward')

4 - have the players w/o built-in options for their minor action forget it exists - do a full exorcism if required.
Why : players that "look for something to do with their action" can slow things to a crrraaawwwwllll. Kill them - the others will learn the lesson :devil:
That sounds so silly, but it's true. It can also slow down players who /do/ have some minor actions available, but have no reason to actually do them.

The 'action economy' is most valid for standard actions, then immediate, then move... minor's at the bottom of the heap. Aside from leader's minor action heals and strikers with minor action encounter attacks, they're rarely critical.

I have one player badly afflicted with the must-use-minor-action compulsion. I'm open to suggestions. Maybe I could come up with a simple default minor that they can fall back on, instead of searching for possibilities? Maybe I should inflict a 'lame minor action penalty?'

This is a phenomenon that I've never encountered; but I thought about it when introducing a friend to 4e recently. He always plays gnomish rangers, so exorcising his minor actions wasn't an option. He did ask me to choose his powers, so I chose all standard-action attacks, and then gave him a run-down of 4e's action types and his character's actions:

"The first round of a fight, you're going to use your minor to quarry an enemy, attack it, and maybe move. Then you're just going to attack and maybe move on following rounds. When that enemy dies or you want to switch enemies, you'll use your minor to quarry a new one; but other than that, you're not going to use your minors."
Y'know, now that I think about it, it's just that one player that has the issue with always needing to find a use for that minor action.

Another action that slows things down is the immediate action. Not using it, but almost using it. When a player declares an immediate action, then decides not to do it, or realizes he can't, that's wasted time and interrupted initiative flow for nothing. Penalizing the player with loss of the action (or even the power) might be a good policy if it's happening a lot.

MoutonRustique

Explorer
[...]I have one player badly afflicted with the must-use-minor-action compulsion. I'm open to suggestions. Maybe I could come up with a simple default minor that they can fall back on, instead of searching for possibilities? Maybe I should inflict a 'lame minor action penalty?'

Y'know, now that I think about it, it's just that one player that has the issue with always needing to find a use for that minor action.
Well... I kind of already gave you the solution... (you guys know I meant the player, right? You kill the player - it's bad policy to punish in-game for out-of-game problems, and vice-versa.)

Another action that slows things down is the immediate action. Not using it, but almost using it. When a player declares an immediate action, then decides not to do it, or realizes he can't, that's wasted time and interrupted initiative flow for nothing. Penalizing the player with loss of the action (or even the power) might be a good policy if it's happening a lot.
All kidding aside - well, not ALL kidding, else this isn't fun anymore - when I'm really "on top of my game" when DMing, I usually let the action slide and then remove an option or impose a penalty on the next encounter.

Sometimes it's as simple and straightforward as loosing a surge after the battle, other times, it's removing the power's availability on the next battle.

I'll do it this way - options I've used :
- loose a surge
- can't use erroneously used power in next encounter
- "floating -4" I get to use once
- crit negation (next crit is regular hit - no time limit w/ one session)
- floating crit (I get to transform a hit on the character to a crit)
- other thematically appropriate penalty that can't really be used as reference because it was too contextualized (one example : the swordmage's aegis shield transfered the absorbed damage to it - he'd used his aegis with a non-aegis mark before.)

I've yet to completely solve my "must-use-all-actions-to-100%" problem, but what usually happens is I have a fair idea of what's possible and we often move along to other players and creatures while that player finishes his turn. It's much easier when foes are the next in line as I don't need a lot of time to run them or change their action - I keep the same die rolls, just change the targets/positions/results as required.

Unless it's one of the rare battles where I've really set myself up for a headache... (I usually have 2 to 4 different creatures and 2 or 3 important terrain/features - I tend to give each foe 1 "main" and 1-2 "circumstantial" powers. That's a max of 15 powers to keep in mind - which is very doable.) But then again, it happens, that I'll build a "world-breaker-type" solo with phases - but I include 3 of them! - and different synergies with other foes and, and, and... And then I hate myself - Why do this to yourself? You knew 4 of those 5 combos were never going to see light of day... WHY?!

But then again, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one guilty of this "crime". :p

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I will second a call for Shards of Selûne - the setting is (the book) is excellent, and it's a very good "tour of the horizon" adventure.

It's great at presenting the place and that alone may be enough to encourage your players into foraging into a region or situation on their own - which is usually a prelude to excellent, excellent games. (snip)

That's what happened during our version of it: a small sentence in the adventure became the prelude to the next, fairly extensive campaign arc that concluded with a battle with the lich Valindra and a SC/battle with the awakening claw of the tarrasque which was both a hazard and a monster. (This was under Morgur's Mound and the awakening claw caused tremors, rockfalls, and opened chasms across the battlemap. Lots of fun! :) ) And this was all because the player of an Uthgardt barbarian noted that the Bones of the Thunderbeast had been turned into totems of Thayan necromancy and determined that he should recover them and return them to Morgur's Mound.

Which would you say is the other ?

Chris Perkins. Logan Bonner was also very good but he wasn't on staff, IIRC. But Chris's DM Experience column really showed how well he got 4E; arguably his AI games did the same.

By contrast, I watched a YouTube video of Chris with Mike Mearls discussing adventure design at GenCon or similar convention. When Mike was asked about his current campaign he said he didn't have one. I suppose that was reflected in the fact that the only 4E adventures with his name on are absolute garbage (and turned into two of the great ads for Pathfinder!), and he was the only 4E designer whose latter work - at a time when 4E products were fairly well-liked - was largely panned (Heroes of Shadow).

But the biggest disappointment for me as an adventure writer for WotC during the 4E period was Bruce Cordell. Up until The Sunless Citadel, I was a big fan of his adventures but that marked the high point before a major decline over the course of 3.xE and then the near-nadir of Keep on the Shadowfell as co-author and then the absolute nadir of those horrible Epic monstrosities whose names I will not even look up. Fortunately, like Mike, he did some good non-adventure design work for 4E but his name on an adventure for 4E is the kiss of death, IMO.

----

As for the immediate and triggered action problem, yeah, that's huge. Because my players are fundamentally lazy, I have prepared cheat sheets for these actions written in stat block format with triggers and effects. Of course, good players would prepare them for themselves... but at least this gives me a chance to really get across what the PCs can do between turns. And as I have a reasonable memory for this sort of stuff, I can often help with a hint when I see a player paralysed with the great burden of responsibility that comes from turning up to enjoy himself for four hours and having to remember to bring dice.

Anyway, I find the cheat sheets to be vital.

Also, getting the players to have some basic tactics pre-prepared - as MoutonRustique has already mentioned - is also really important. Fortunately my most addled player has a barbarian with howling strike, a vanguard weapon, and badge of berserker (ignore OAs on a charge) so that boils down to "How about you just open with a charge attack that, if it hits, will deal d12+d8+d6+11 damage?" I find that, once that opening attack is out of the way, he then starts to focus.

Even though players and 4E detractors often complain about the difficulty of managing 4E's fairly complicated characters, in reality it's not that much different to earlier editions when 1. a lot of campaigns involved PCs with a lot of magic items and 2. you had to look up your spells (or feats) in the PHB or UA or an issue of Dragon or a splat book or a spreadsheet where you toggle your buffs on or off (as my players in 3.5E used to do). The only real differences in 4E are 1. that all the information is there on your character sheet and 2. that magic items don't typically make as much difference.

pemerton

Legend
I've yet to completely solve my "must-use-all-actions-to-100%" problem, but what usually happens is I have a fair idea of what's possible and we often move along to other players and creatures while that player finishes his turn.
I often do this for minor actions where I know that the minor action will be some sort of heal or buff that the players can sort out among themselves while I move on to the next turn in the sequence.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases