UPDATE: Politics/Religion no longer permitted again!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think that it would be mostly invisible if you weren't of the right, but it's there.

You vastly underestimate the perceptiveness of others.

Also, since mods that are participating in the threads and seem generally left leaning, I think a lot of the low grade insults and sweeping generalizations are just not even registering with them. I suppose that answer to that is to report them

Yes it is. If you don't report it, we don't get to know what you find bothersome, and what you don't. That being said, I have already had some conversations about things that I have seen going askew, so it isn't like we are proceeding blithely along ignoring things.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
You vastly underestimate the perceptiveness of others.
You seem to be taking my statement personally. If so, sorry, no offense was intended. I had thought it a fairly innocuous statement, but I'm prepared to be wrong.

Yes it is. If you don't report it, we don't get to know what you find bothersome, and what you don't. That being said, I have already had some conversations about things that I have seen going askew, so it isn't like we are proceeding blithely along ignoring things.
You snipped the last half of that where I explained why reporting was tough. I understand that's how it's supposed to work, but I also said that it's more of a pattern than any specific post violating the rules. I'd hate to drop a bunch of reports that say "this slightly bothers me if you pair it up with the post four behind it and six behind that" reports as that's seems likely to get me into trouble for over reporting. It seems damned if you do, damned if you don't. Guidance there, instead of 'report problems, citizen!' would be most appreciated.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You seem to be taking my statement personally.

Not in the least.

There are areas (racism and sexism being major examples) where a person can have unconscious biases, or in which folks can say things they don't realize will be taken negatively. That's not going on here - the folks who are hostile (and, it is clear that there are folks on both sides who are hostile) know they are hostile. Their expressions of that hostility are fairly obvious.

The experiment is based on the idea that, while people can be hostile, they can still remain civil, that EN Worlders can say they don't like a policy, or a group that enacts a policy, without being jerks. We don't imagine that we can eradicate hostility, or make it invisible. The question is whether we can keep it down at a level where constructive conversation can still be had.

You snipped the last half of that where I explained why reporting was tough. I understand that's how it's supposed to work, but I also said that it's more of a pattern than any specific post violating the rules.

This is not a new concept to us. We've banned people for it before.

The overall measure is whether or not a person ever flagrantly violates the rules, does their style collectively make them more harmful to discussion than helpful? Are they a net major negative?

If people don't report things you find problematic, then you depend on the moderators' collective judgement on the matter.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Hey [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION], empty your private message folder. trying to send you something.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The word you may have been looking for is jingoism

gNoGo3H.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So as an update. I'm thinking about ending this experiment. I don't feel it has added anything pleasant to the board.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not surprised. I've heard grumbling about people comparing the added political element to the atmosphere at Circvs Maximvs.

Remove ads