Starship Construction Manual: Release Very Soon!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
While the Starter Kit was technically the first official WOIN product, the Starship Construction Manual will be the first book designed for use with the full ruleset (as opposed to the stripped down set in the Starter Kit). It'll actually come out before any core rulebooks. It is almost complete - layout is done, and we're just tweaking a couple of appendices. Right now I'm just ensuring the the navigation computers which provide the AL9 to AL10 jump from Trek-style to Wars-style FTL speeds are in place, and debating how many sample ships to include, and how many to save for the Starship Recognition Manual.

starship_construction_manual.png

The starships built with this system are fully useable in the starship combat rules found in the N.E.W. core rulebook (that book, incidentally, is well into layout; I can't wait to share it with you!)

That's not all, though. The Starship Builder web application is nearly done, too. It's in testing right now. It looks like this:

11709874_10153496929388707_74393644079291791_o.jpg

Testing will take a while - like all software, the alpha version has its bugs, and they all need ironing out. But it basically works, and lets you design a ship quickly an easily. You'll need the book to really understand what you're doing, probably, though it's fully functional and free. It will be available on woinrpg.com when it's ready for release into the wild.

One of the cool things about the Starship Builder is that you can download your ship and share it. We'll have a space here at EN World for people to share their ships. I plan to have all the "official" ships available. And I'm sure some people will very quickly start recreating the Enterprise or a Star Destroyer. The fun part? You totally can! It's a very flexible system; if something can't be modeled by it, it's easy to add a component to handle it.

The Starship Construction Manual comes with a range of components. You can see most of them in the free online Rules Reference Document on woinrpg.com. But they will prove to be only a tiny scratch in the surface of the sheer number of engines, weapons, computers, sensors, shields, armor types, tractor beams, shuttle bays, and more that can exist. As time passes, many more items will be added to the Starship Builder.

Remove ads