Critical Hits - why, and why not?

(Inspired by this BoingBoing article)

Gygax hated critical hits and wanted them nowhere near his D&D. Nevertheless a lot of fans (although not all) did, and in the end those who did won. So who was right in what they wanted?

Both groups. Of course. Some things are a matter of taste and what you consider fun. And some things work well to some ends and not others.

The case for critical hits is obvious. They are flashy, they are exciting, they add a spike of adrenaline to any game, and they make that natural 20 feel worthwhile. At an immediate emotional level they are clearly a good thing.

The case against them depends on what you are trying to do. Gygax was writing a tight, gritty dungeon crawler. When you are writing a tense game the added swinginess caused by critical hits is a bad thing because it forces PCs to use much wider safety margins, and they have the dice rather than their foolhardiness to blame. For the game Gygax was writing, adding critical hits would have been like going for the cheap laugh that undermines the tension in the scene.

But not everyone played or plays D&D the way Gygax intended. oD&D and 1e rightfully do not have critical hits. But the Dragonlance Saga is all about the story and the big moments over the tension. It even has the obscure death rule. It should have used critical hits because although the rules were the same the intended game wasn't. You weren't playing with the risk/reward axis for a delve.

Like Dragonlance, 2e should have had crits. It actively advocates fudging dice, and is a game where the instructions are about story and about encounters. There's also precious little in the way of tactics.

3.0 made some ... interesting ... decisions on crits. The tagline of 3.0 was "Back to the dungeon". And in a dungeoncrawler the same applies to crits as did in oD&D. They take away tension. They also mean that a normal orc who rolls a natural 20 to hit (and confirms) can threaten PCs well above the orc's level while being strawberry jam if the PCs hit first. Again, this throws planning into the lap of the dice and makes building specific tension harder. Not good for a dungeon crawler. Also sudden death out of nowhere works much better when you can roll up a character in only a couple of minutes than when you have a massive list of skills.

3.5 made the decision not to change crits. With the emergent eggshells-wielding-sledgehammers of 3.0 Save-or-Suck spellcasting this was almost the right decision. Fast kills and one shots fitted with the rest of the game. The part of critical hits they should have changed is simple - the confirmation roll is a step that only ever disappoints people and should have been eliminated.

4e had wimpy crits. Which mean you can plan for them thus not undermining the tactical game so much. But not giving the emotional high to the people who wanted it. It also sufferered a second problem: rolling dice is fun - there were people who'd prefer not to roll crits in 4e and that is something that should never happen. The 4e critical rules therefore are ... useless. (Oddly enough 4e with Dark Sun had the best critical failure rules I've seen in any system).

5e crits are good. Not especially powerful (a good thing). But noticeable - especially to anyone with the kinaesthetic sensibilities to like an extra dice in their hand. They fit with the rest of the game, they feel good without unbalancing things - and they don't undermine the strategic risk management side. They could be seamlessly transferred to 4e and improve the game slightly. They make a dent in the risk management, but not an extreme one - but they provide the acknowledgement and emotional high the people who want crits are seeking. As good a compromise as I've seen for a game that's trying to do most things rather than any one thing spectacularly well.

D'karr

Adventurer
I don't think Gygax hated critical hits, as far as a method for additional HP depletion. I think his distaste was more for Critical Hit charts with added complications/wounds/etc. I saw many of those subsystems appear in alternate publications, house rules, etc. They always became a hassle.

To me the confirmation roll on 3.x was a bummer, and the swinginess at low level was a detractor on liking the system. The critical hit in 4e was great because the confirmation was gone, but unexciting because the damage is boring (too predictable). 5e statistically will give more "potent" critical hits but is a bummer because it is totally random. I have one player that has not done more than 5 points of damage on critical hits with 5e. So it has been equally unexciting. I'm currently working on more hacks to 4e and changing crits to max+1[w]. The playtest has shown this to be more exciting.

I'm currently working on more hacks to 4e and changing crits to max+1[w]. The playtest has shown this to be more exciting.

That works well. The other thing I've found works in 4e is offering "Double-or-quits" along the lines of the Dark Sun weapon breakage rules. Either they can take the hit as normal or they can reroll - double damage on a hit, miss on a miss. (Minions never gamble).

Staffan

Legend
I'm all for crits that do a bit of extra damage, á la 3e onwards (the exact amount of extra can of course be adjusted). I don't particularly like insta-kill/maim crits, primarily because they will lead to PCs looking like parody pirates after a while.

Remember that each monster will probably only be "on screen" for 1-5 rounds, and then that monster has done its part and will never be seen again. Who cares if that ogre died because you cut its leg off with a lucky hit, or if you had to hit it three times to go through its hit points? But each PC will likely be the target of hundreds of attacks over the course of its career, and if each attack has the chance to maim it will eventually happen.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I've been playing this game since it was three (okay, four) small, saddle-stitched books, and I've seen a lot of Critical Hit systems.

The more colorful they were, the worse they were.

In early editions, where character strength didn't add to combat damage unless you were a Fighter with Extraordinary Strength (Start with a rolled 18, then add a percentage roll to see how superhuman you were), high level melees tended to turn into dice marathons, waiting to see who would roll that Crit first. Everything else was just marking time.

Realistically, that was a flaw with high level characters more than Critical Hits.

Still, extra damage on a good hit works. At least in 3.*, which was made taking that into account.

Earlier editions, where it was an aftermarket add-on, and not included in game balance considerations? Less is definitely better.

Dave R

First Post
The meta-game critique of crits is they'll be rolled against player characters far more often than against any individual npc or monster. If you want to include crits you either suck that up and low level characters drop more often, or you can give a hit point kicker of some kind. Hackmaster does a hit point kicker explicitly, and it's not an uncommon house rule in other games. (Or you can start at a higher level, but that's just an indirect form of kicker.)

One thing I've kicked around is tying critical hits to the fighter class rather than being a general feature of the universe. Inspired by things like Lamentations of the Flame Princess where only fighters improve their to-hit, or DCC where fighters get a special Mighty Deed die added to their attacks. That gives you an in-game rationale for why most goblins aren't rolling crits against players - they're not Fighter-classed (except perhaps a rare few who are). And the fighter gets something particular to their class, making it harder for a wizard or cleric casting self-buffs to duplicate everything they do.

How do you know Gygax was writing a tight, gritty dungeon crawler? After reading your post I am very interested in knowing how did he run his games.

Somewhere I read that his dungeon was 20 levels deep or something like that, so I wonder if his games were dungeon crawls or much more elaborate plots like PotA.

pemerton

Legend
4e had wimpy crits. Which mean you can plan for them thus not undermining the tactical game so much. But not giving the emotional high to the people who wanted it. It also sufferered a second problem: rolling dice is fun - there were people who'd prefer not to roll crits in 4e and that is something that should never happen.
4e crits give bonus dice to roll equal to the "plus" of the weapon.

Remove ads