The Confederate Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
taking down a flag has to do with ending a nation. The Confederacy was a briefly lived nation 150 years ago founded a a bunch of really bad statements that Danny linked. They didn't even have that flag for but a few years.

What history has been erased? More like what history was ignored and swept under the rug by the losers of that war?

It's not like we go rubbing Japan, Germany or Brittain's nose in it that they lost and were wrongity wrong. It's done. They made changes.

I'm not saying that history has been erased...I'm saying that I'm afraid it will be.

Question: Slavery was a legal American institution for almost 100 years, since the original 13 colonies, right on during the ACW. Does the South serve as a scapegoat for America on the issue of slavery, (and racism in general)? Essentially putting all the baggage on the South to lessen the weight of all of America's guilt?

Are there other examples, in America or any other country, where one region/peoples of the country is held more to account for an atrocity actually committed by the entire nation?

Bullgrit

I think that this is actually a really good question, and it may touch on why this whole affair troubles me so much.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm honestly having mixed feelings about this. While I understand and agree with what most of you have said regarding the removal of the flag, I have an intense and almost blinding aversion to destroying history, even if it's for the right reasons. I'm a very firm believer in the adage "Those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it."

What else will we have to remove? What else will we have to change because someone gets offended by it?

I realize that I may be playing Devil's Advocate here. Please don't take it that I *want* to keep the flag flying...I actually liked the earlier suggestion that it remain in museums as a historical reminder. But it's as I said...I have mixed feelings...

You make a very good point here, but it's important to remember that history is not being dismantled or destroyed. The South Carolina flag is being moved to a museum (or something like a museum, I'm not certain on the specifics), not shredded. Likewise, the recent spate of discussion about the flag's meaning is primarily concerned with recognizing that the actual history behind it is racism, along with how there's been a concerted effort to deflect and deceive the public in that regard.

History isn't being lost; rather, we seem to finally be figuring out the difference between remembering an ugly part of our past and lionizing it.

I'm honestly having mixed feelings about this. While I understand and agree with what most of you have said regarding the removal of the flag, I have an intense and almost blinding aversion to destroying history, even if it's for the right reasons. I'm a very firm believer in the adage "Those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it."

What else will we have to remove? What else will we have to change because someone gets offended by it?

I realize that I may be playing Devil's Advocate here. Please don't take it that I *want* to keep the flag flying...I actually liked the earlier suggestion that it remain in museums as a historical reminder. But it's as I said...I have mixed feelings...
I get your point about destroying history; however, what you need to realize is that the "history" being "destroyed" isn't the the actual history of he South. The idea that it is about Southern heritage and history, and not about slavery is perplexing considering how slavery was an integral part of Southern heritage and history. There have been several articles posted regarding the falsehoods of the flag not representing racism and the Civil War not being about slavery but state's rights. So don't think of it as destroying "history." Think about it as destroying lies.

delericho

Legend
Are there other examples, in America or any other country, where one region/peoples of the country is held more to account for an atrocity actually committed by the entire nation?

England, for the sins of the British Empire. The Scots were often right there beside them, yet somehow we escape censure (well, mostly).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But on the other hand, it's a criminal offense to not only belong to Nazi organizations in Germany, but to so much as show the Nazi flag or the Nazi salute (outside of certain contexts, such as historical footage used for teaching purposes, if I recall correctly)...all of which makes me wonder if they've quite gotten the lesson regarding why fascism is a bad thing.

It is tough to actually change hearts & minds; easy to take away symbols & shorthands.

But as Orwell taught, if you can control the dialog, you can eventually convince people of anything.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Question: Slavery was a legal American institution for almost 100 years, since the original 13 colonies, right on during the ACW. Does the South serve as a scapegoat for America on the issue of slavery, (and racism in general)?

No, it doesn't. That's because the rest of the country had, by the time of the American Civil War, not only figured out that slavery was morally reprehensible and stopped practicing it, but they didn't try to create a historical narrative that attempted to frame it as something noble or minimize its impact. The South did, and in many cases continues to do so, and in that regard is getting exactly the attitude it deserves in response.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Does the South serve as a scapegoat for America on the issue of slavery, (and racism in general)?

Most of the Founding Fathers were slaveholders. The whole county benefitted from it in the early days. The North is no more or less racist than the South, they're just less ken about it.

What the South gets knocked for is initiating and fighting a war to keep & expand the institution of slavery, romanticizing that period of time, and re-prosecuting those same values in the courts with every civil rights issue that pops up.

The thing to remember here (and one of the reasons that I agree with removing the flag) is that the ideas of racism and prejudice are passed on through culture and family.

To clarify:

I was born and raised in the southern US...I'm not a fan. My family still lives there (I've since moved), and they are still very much a part of that culture. Growing up, I discovered that many in my family were extremely prejudiced and bigoted, and it was the major source of the rift between me and my family. Even though I understood that I should judge people by who they are and not by their race or color, it was still difficult to remove those biases from my life.

As I said, I agree with the reasons behind removing the flag; it's the symbol of a terrible part of our history.

Janx

Hero
Question: Slavery was a legal American institution for almost 100 years, since the original 13 colonies, right on during the ACW. Does the South serve as a scapegoat for America on the issue of slavery, (and racism in general)? Essentially putting all the baggage on the South to lessen the weight of all of America's guilt?

Bullgrit

That's a good question, one I kind of addressed. I think the North at some point, took great strides to divorce itself from slavery. So when they decided slavery was bad, they went whole hog. There were economics involved of course, the North wasn't dependent on slave labor.

The South seems to have been trapped. Their economy was based largely on manual labor, by slaves. And all the great speeches of the time were about keeping slaves when the Confederacy started.

The South started a war over slavery basically and their right to keep it (the act of seceeding basically was an act of war, regardless of when the first shot was fired). It symbolized refusing to put down slavery. Not just "we used to have slaves, but now we don't" but "we're gonna kill people to prove our right to have slaves is right"

That's likely a very strong reason why "The South" is equated to "racist dudes who don't get that they are celebrating being a bunch of racists". Yes, that is hyperbole. Sorry. that's what a Yankee like me hears everytime a Southerner goes off about the "War of Northern Aggression"

I wouldn't ride Morrus that way for his dead King's heavy handed taxation without representation. Or a German for their Hitleriffic atrocities. But the South just don't get the message because they don't admit "the Confederacy was wrong and it was founded on an evil premise."

Personally, I don't think I need an apology on the subject (granted, I wasn't a descendant of slaves). But dropping the whole "States Rights", "War of Northern Aggression", "The South", and "Confederacy" references means we can stop being divided by it. Acknowledge some bad stuff went down, and have some cookies again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads