How far does your fandom go?

Ryujin

Legend
So today I was presented with the opportunity to have a walk on or tiny speaking part in an independent film, in exchange for financial support. It's a common thing you'll see as a reward in Kickstarters, with the amount of money involved being on par with what I've seen in them. It's going to be the first in a series that I really want to see produced and time to production means that ordinary crowdfunding isn't an option, so they're going to their core supporters for funding.

I haven't taken a real vacation in many years and this definitely sounds interesting, but with the funding, travel, and lodging this is not a trivial amount of money. I've said no, but have to admit I'm on the edge.

I don't really have a question here other than, perhaps, if given the same opportunity what would you do? Is there anything similar that you can think of, that would pry your wallet open to that extent?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wouldn't pay to be in a film, no. I would expect to be paid to be in a film. If I really liked the thing, I might do it for free, but I wouldn't pay for it.

Same as those Kickstarter rewards where you get to design content. I totally get that some people like that stuff, though (and I've sold it before), so I don't have a problem with it. It just isn't something that appeals to me.

Ryujin

Legend
Well where I'm concerned the expression "great face for radio" applies and I picked up a camera, years ago, to make sure which side of it I'd be on. There are plenty of people who have supported work by these folk before, in this fashion, so it made me curious how many people are interested in this sort of thing.

Ryujin

Legend
Hah! Yeah, most of us are! I don't have a cool radio voice either, sadly.

Well I do OK in the voice department but, as far as I'm concerned, the Ghost of Warhol can give my 15 minutes to someone else. I have absolutely no need nor desire for fame be it limited, fleeting, or otherwise ;)

Is the cost of the trip, including all travel costs and film support, inline with what you would normally consider paying for a vacation? Does anything at that location interest you outside of the film?

I would never pay to travel and be in a film per se. But if the place was interesting enough that I would consider traveling there anyway, the opportunity to overlap one pleasure with another could certainly make decide on that particular vacation instead of another one.

Ryujin

Legend
Is the cost of the trip, including all travel costs and film support, inline with what you would normally consider paying for a vacation? Does anything at that location interest you outside of the film?

I would never pay to travel and be in a film per se. But if the place was interesting enough that I would consider traveling there anyway, the opportunity to overlap one pleasure with another could certainly make decide on that particular vacation instead of another one.

Basically add a thousand dollars, or more, to the cost of the trip. There are a bunch of people out there I would like to meet with, but the idea of being in a production does nothing for me. I'll ultimately make the trip someday, but I doubt there will be any treading of the boards involved.

Remove ads