Anyone seen ANT-MAN?

Meliath1742

First Post
Saw it...and really liked it. Its certainly more light-hearted than previous Marvel films. I was surprised how large a part Michael Douglas (Henry Pym) had in the film. Paul Rudd (Ant-Man) does a good job but Evangeline Lilly as (spoiler alert for Marvel geeks) "Hope" is excellent. Worth seeing!

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I have seen it, I enjoyed it, fun and more personal than the other Marvel films. Supporting cast should be noted as it is excellent. People in my audience seem to enjoy the movie too.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Saw it and liked it. Its definitely a lighter movie than the others. It has a few absurdities, but these are mostly ignorable in the interest of having fun. Seemed to be much more suitable for a younger crowd.

Can anyone say how it plays to different ethnic groups? I thought that it was targeted for a somewhat broader ethnic audience, at least in the supporting cast, if not in the lead cast. Worked fine for me, but I don't have a perspective to tell how others will see it.

Thx!

TomB

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Saw it and liked it. Its definitely a lighter movie than the others. It has a few absurdities, but these are mostly ignorable in the interest of having fun. Seemed to be much more suitable for a younger crowd.

Can anyone say how it plays to different ethnic groups? I thought that it was targeted for a somewhat broader ethnic audience, at least in the supporting cast, if not in the lead cast. Worked fine for me, but I don't have a perspective to tell how others will see it.

Thx!

TomB
All I can find is:
The audience breakdown for the film skewed towards male moviegoers (58 percent) and towards moviegoers over the age of 25 (55 percent). Family audience made up an estimated 28 percent of the film's overall audience.

I guess the foreign markets, may show how it does, so far it has only been released in:
Australia - 7/16/15 - - $90,667
Russia - CIS 7/17/15 $4,709,025 100% $4,709,025

Staffan

Legend
I saw it today, and really enjoyed it. I liked how they effortlessly went from serious and dramatic to slapstick, often multiple times in the same scene.

I've seen some criticism online against the movie's treatment of Janet van Dyne, and I'll put my comments on that behind spoiler tags:
[sblock]The criticism is based on how Janet is killed off before the movie even starts, and done so just to give background to Hank Pym's character - essentially, the classic "woman in refrigerator" theme. Also, how Hope is sidelined for most of the movie when she's really the most qualified person for the job.

I would disagree with these assessments. First, I'm like 95% certain that Janet's going to make an appearance in the sequel. Her "death" was as comic-booky as it gets, leaving no body behind, and we do get to see Scott return from the same fate. Also, we never got to see her face in pictures or flashbacks. That means that they intend to cast someone in that role, but haven't done so yet (and it's likely they'll look for a fairly big-name actor).

As for Hope, I'm somewhat more sympathetic to those sentiments. She is really more qualified than Scott - she's a better fighter, she's smarter, and she knows more about the suit and principles involved. But Hank's reasons for keeping her out also ring true - he still sees his little daughter, and doesn't want her to get hurt. What's more, he eventually realizes that he's wrong, and enlists her aid in finishing Janet's new suit for her - one with Wasp-style wings, I might add.[/sblock]

HobbitFan

Explorer
I really liked it. Fun movie.

The big what-if that looms over the film is what would Edgar Wright have done with it had he not parted ways with Marvel?

Although I had a few scripts issues, overall I was very impressed with Ant-man as I thought it was going to be VERY bad.
I was pleasantly surprised to find I really liked it.

Derren

Hero
I liked it, but I don't think that it is more light hearted than the last few Marvel films (GotG, A2). It just uses a different kind of comedy. For example while Avengers 2 used mainly one liners and puns the comedy in Ant Man it comes from the size changes. And those scenes are imo very well integrated into the film so that they nearly always look like logical conclusions of the actions of the characters. Of course there is also some slapstick in it (that Latino guy) which they could have left out.

Another bonus is that for the most part of it it is more of a Heist than a Superheroe movie. That also makes integrating the size changes and ant control more easy, as those are just tools for the Heist.

Remove ads