D&D 5E [IC] Creamsteak's Princes of Elemental Evil

Forged Fury

First Post
"Agreed. I think the dwarf was from Mirabar as well, probably a smith based on what he was wearing when he died." Damien replied. "The tower may very well hold the answer to our question, but it seems like a long shot at this point. Perhaps once we are finished here, we should continue on to Summit Hall to see if the caravan ever arrived. If not, they likely were lost between the Hall and Beliard, somewhere in the hills. I'm not entirely certain these bodies were related to our missing caravan."

Damien started to prepare to leave before realizing the bodies still lay unearthed. Frowning, he said, "Should we cover them with the stones? It may be a better deterrent to the vultures than earth."

OOC: Is Mirabar on the map? I can't find it.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Tolan nods.

"Yes, I will assist you. Perhaps by giving them their rightful burial, we can make up for disturbing their rest."

He gathers stones and covers the bodies once more. Once they are done, he stands at the foot of four cairns and mumbles quietly over them.

"I know not your names, nor the gods you revered. But I commend you to their care, and wish you peace eternal."

The he looks up, and to the east.

"Summit hall it is, then."

Creamsteak

Explorer
The first site on the untraveled path you choose to take brings you close to an old stone temple built in a
rocky vale at the southern edge of the Sumber Hills. None of you recognize the location from your maps. The most anyone can seem to recall is that this may be one of the "Old Keeps" that the people out of Red Larch stay away from.

You pass some distance away... but you can note the location for later. It's marked as "Sacred Stone Monastery" on the map.

OOC: Notably, if you continue going straight towards Summit Hall, your next objective would be to cross the river. Does the group intend to cross it on foot? It's certainly possible, but also possibly difficult?

Attachments

• sacredstone.png
    sacredstone.png
    369.2 KB · Views: 379

Creamsteak

Explorer
Thaliss: You know that Rivergard Keep is just north of here along the river, and you could most likely procure a boat there to get across.

OOC: Everyone: I also realize that it's almost night at this point. Up to you where you want to be come nightfall. Along the river? Near the Sacred Stone? Closer to Rivergard Keep?

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
"We'll need a boat to cross the river past Summit Hall. We could get oneat Rivergard Keep. It's just north of here along the river. It't too late to get there tonight, but I say that we move to get as close as possible while there is still some light, and get farther away from the temple. People from Red Larch stay away from these temples, and there must be good reasons why."

Creamsteak

Explorer
OOC: I am amazed there has not been a random encounter yet.

The night passes uneventfully. At daybreak you make your way to Rivergard Keep. This stout castle stands on the banks of the Dessarin River. It consists of a stone keep and gatehouse linked by a curtain wall to a river tower and dock. You notice the place is quite busy, with workers on the roofs working on repairs. The keep looks very old, and had obviously fallen into disrepair for some time.

A small castle overlooks the mighty Dessarin River, which is a good half-mile wide at this point. A gatehouse and keep stand atop a low bluff, but the walls are built to the water's edge. On the river bank, another low tower guards a boat basin where keelboats are moored. The keep seems old and worn, but new timbers and shingles suggest that repairs are underway. A white banner with a blue gauntlet flies over the keep. The front gate is closed.

The keep's main entrance features a two-story gatehouse attached to a round tower. Arrow slits look out onto the ground outside the gate. The gate itself is a double door of thick timbers reinforced by iron bands.

A young scruffy looking man with a limber build hangs over the edge of the wall. "Thaliss. Did you bring new recruits?"

OOC: Thaliss, you recognize the man as Holgar. He is in command of the gatehouse.

"Just friends approaching. Open the gates..."

Clattering sounds and muffled voices come from inside the gatehouse. The gates open to a thirty-foot passage leading east. A portcullis blocks the far end of the passage, but you can see the castle yard on the other side. An arrow slit in the southern wall of the passage provides defenders a way to fire on intruders who get this far.

The area just inside the castle gatehouse consists of a small courtyard of bare dirt and tufts of wiry grass. A stable stands to the east, the gatehouse to the west, and the main yard of the castle lies to the north. The keep occupies the northern corner of the castle yard. Stone stairs near the keep lead up to the top of the wall.

"So what is it, boy. I see you got a little silver pendant. And so do your friends. What brings you lot out here?"

Attachments

• rivergard.png
    rivergard.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 397

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
\"So what is it, boy. I see you got a little silver pendant. And so do your friends. What brings you lot out here?"

"Quite a few moons have passed since I last saw you Holgar, I hope your family and you are well! We are looking for a missing merchant caravan from Mirabar. Have you heard anything about this?"

OOC: I'll assume that Thaliss spent some time about one year ago at Rivergard Keep, just after he became a warlock (and was just a level 1 sorcerer, with no standing within the adventuring guild). His noble background allowed him to be accepted within the keep, and he stayed there for about 1 month or so. OK?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases