Favourite Adventure Modules

delericho

Legend
I have never understood why this is still considered obscure (I mentioned it too in my post above).

It was a late-2nd Ed adventure. Many people had given up on TSR by then, and even more had given up on their adventures. And unlike, say, "Gates of Firestorm Peak" it wasn't released to any great fanfare.

This was/is a genuinely good adventure that has so much potential for adaptation.

And that web city of the chitine is simply an amazing visual.

Yep.

N'raac

First Post
4. The Hidden Shrine of Tamoanchan. My favourite D&D module. Aztec ruin filled with poisonous gas. It's neat, because it punishes greed. If the players stop and explore every room, they die of poison gas inhalation. So, they have to figure the correct way out, all the while bypassing great treasures. Fun!

This started life as a tournament scenario, with the poison gas imposing an in game time limit to match the real life time limit, I believe. IIRC, there was a point where they got out of the bad air, so a section of the dungeon lacking this constraint. In a campaign game, it could be expanded to allow the players to find a way to neutralize the poison gas (whether for themselves or clean the air up in the complex) and explore the complex more thoroughly, and try to get those treasures out.

Prince Atom

Explorer
Five great modules you should play: (snip)

Oooh, mashups! I saw someone on RPGnet suggesting you take Isle of Dread and plop Dwellers of the Forbidden City on the plateau. With a little work, you can incorporate the existing Taboo Island into Dwellers. Then they suggested positioning Hidden Shrine like, right before the big rope bridge to the plateau (because you're obligated to have a big rope bridge somewhere, of course) so they try to get to the bridge but the ground collapses and now they're in Hidden Shrine. That seems a little bait-and-switch to me, but a conversation about big twists like that or the trap door in Horror on the Hill and whether they're fair is probably best suited for another thread.

I've been itching to try that, complete with a city of the yuan-ti in the sewers of the Forbidden City, including a humungous snake worshiped as a god and a diamond as big as a cow, or whatever.

Another mashup I've been itching, which is lower level, is to take L2 Secret of Bone Hill, put the Caves of Chaos in the hills on its map, put Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh just off the map to the right, and use Restenford as Saltmarsh (and Pelltar in place of the town council). Then maybe - possibly - run Under Illefarn out of Restenford, too, and have S2 and S3 ready to go if the party follows that up. Other adventures might be Journey to the Rock (with Palace of the Silver Princess inside the rock, frozen in stone rather than a rosy glow), and travel from Restenford to Against the Cult of the Reptile God or even Hommlet.

tvknight415

Explorer
My person favorites are:

I6: Ravenloft
S1: Tomb of Horrors
S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

If someone kept them and would quietly send you a copy, Id recommend Battlefield: Procampur from Living City and Forbidden Choice from Living Greyhawk. Forbidden Choice was so awesome, I volunteered to judge it at GenCon after playing it.

Remove ads