D&D 5E Advice for a new character

starchild7309

First Post
Ok so I am starting new campaign in a week or so and I have come up with a concept, just need a little help fleshing it out. Stats after taking the human variant are as follows.

Str:12
Dex:18
Con:14
Int:11
Wis:11
Cha:14

I am planning on going Rogue first level. I spoke to my DM and he approved the use of the Spelless Ranger. So I was going to follow up the rogue level with 2 variant ranger (for the maneuvers and the fighting style) and then throw in a level of warlock (the Great Old One), for the telepathy. After that just go straight rogue with the swashbuckler archetype. So this is where I have a few questions.

1. When I get the maneuvers from variant ranger, what 2 would be best to take?
2. I am taking dual wielding feat from variant human, but is that the best option?
3. I see my feats as progressing like this:

1st: Dual Wielding
2nd:+2 Dex
3rd: Alert Feat
4th: Lucky
5th: +2 Cha
6th: Sentinel (though I am not sure at all about that)

Is this sound? Are there other feats that would be more useful to a swashbuckler rogue? What other feats would you suggest, or perhaps a different order as to when to take feats?

4. Is this character sound in general?

Any suggestions or constructive advice would me greatly appreciated.

*edit* DM approved the multiclass for ranger with lower Wis than 13 since it is a spelless ranger. I offered to move stats around and he said there was no need.

starchild7309

First Post
Well, it's not a character. It's stats. So no, your character isn't sound but it looks like a great set of stats.

If he were the main character of an 80s TV show, what would the theme song say about him? (Note, this requires only 8 lines.)

So you want his back story? His motivation? Still working on that. My questions were if its a sound character build. If there was synergy, if it seemed as though all parts would work together and if more warlock/less Ranger was better and or worse than the spelless ranger/warlock mix I had mentioned. Back story and theme song aside I am looking more at the mechanical mix of parts about this guy.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Sorry, I reread your post and found a bit of character. The odd thing is, with the way D&D5 mixes character story and rules, I can't really tell what is story and what's just more mechanics. I'm guessing that "swashbuckling rogue" is a bit of both. Buuut...if your character is starting as a ranger...and a warlock... I can offer you this help:

Tell us who you want your character to be. This will force you to tell yourself who you want your character to be. Once that's solidified, you'll have an easier time designing your build. Your mechanical mix of parts will be more synergistic if they have a stated goal (dealing damage, drawing aggro, charming princesses, etc.) that comes from your character concept.

starchild7309

First Post
OK to answer your question: This guy's back story is that he is the youngest of 7 kids, when he was 15 a gang of thieves broke into his family home, killing and abusing his mother and sisters. Cowardice over took him and he hid, seeing it all. When the thieves left he crawled out, went and found his father, a captain of Candlekeep's Guard and instead of his father reassuring him everything would be ok, he called out his son for cowardice and shamed him publicly. My character has vowed to track down these criminals that did this, he left his father and moved to Baldur's Gate, working as an informant/bounty hunter for low level criminals. He is willing to do almost anything legal to gain more power and to be able to extract his revenge. (this is why I thought ranger for wanting to be the hunter of criminals, but ranger doesn't really do that very well in my opinion. I also thought his almost blind desire to gain power would have lead him to warlock)

My question thematically is this I guess...Is Rogue X/Ranger 2/Warlock 1 with maneuvers, and 5 stat increases better than Rogue X/Warlock 5/Fighter 1 with 2 attacks, and 4 stat increases?

Also, if you go with Ranger, what two maneuvers would people recommend?
With those 4 or 5 stat increases I know 1 of them is going to +2 dex, but is it better to pick up a specific feat with one or two of those or just dump them all into dex to 20, Cha and/or Con?
Also, would any one recommend Rogue first level, then ranger, ranger, warlock and finish with all rogue or get 4 levels of rogue first? If I go with warlock to 5th, should I get to rogue 4 first or split up the levels to not be so specialized but more diverse in my abilities? I know many of these are opinion questions, but I like opinions.

Remove ads