Need Magic Item

Deathstrike

First Post
Hi all. I'm about to start a campaign using BFRPG rules, with only two players, family members that don't play RPG's. I really want them to survive and level up. They're both at level 1, one fighter and one magic user.
I've explained the idea of hirelings, and I might have an NPC or two accompany them. What I'm basically looking for is a magic item that I give the magic user to kind of level the playing field a little bit, so that the magic user can still be somewhat involved in combat after casting his one magic missile spell.
I don't want to give him something TOO powerful, just something to get him over the hump until he reaches third level.
I've considered a ring that might increase his AC, or a staff that casts fireball or something. I'm trying to emphasize that they should avoid unnecessary encounters, but I don't want to throw them to the wolves either, as they have such a small party, and I'm worried about balance.
So, any ideas would be much appreciated!
Cheers.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Rod of the Graduate

This rod, given to those who excelled at <college the magic user attended> as a sign of excellence, provides its fresh graduates with a little bit of extra protection while they make the journey from "graduate" to "established wizard." Each rod is given twenty charges; when depleted, they cannot be restored, but the rod itself will remain, acting as a sort of symbolic diploma. Each rod is unique, and made specifically for one graduate; no other wizard even among the faculty can use it, making it effectively worthless to anyone else.

By expending one charge, the Wizard may generate one of the following effects:
- Generate force field: A thin, invisible field of protection covers the mage, which may cause blows to be deflected away (+1 AC). This effect lasts one hour.
- Produce Darts: A handful (10-12) of thin, almost-invisible darts (made of pure force) appears in the Wizard's hands. The darts last five minutes, or until all darts are used. Although they are no more effective than typical darts as weapons, they are capable of damaging ghostly or ethereal creatures that might otherwise be immune to mundane weaponry.
- Read Magic: The rod can safely translate one piece of magic writing, or reveal something of the nature of a single magical item, such as whether the enchantment is positive, negative, or mixed for the one who wears it. An item of great power, whether enchanted or cursed, may overload its abilities (effectively returning "UNKNOWN").

If that seems a little bland, you might consider adding one or both of the following:

By expending five charges, the rod can produce a fireball--a spell which may be beyond the abilities of the graduate when it is first given, but which can be highly effective at dealing with the graduate's enemies. Unfortunately, this stronger spell pushes the limits of the rod's abilities, so this effect cannot be used more than once per day, even if there are still five or more charges remaining. If fewer than five charges remain, this ability cannot be used.

The rod also has one, rarely-used emergency feature. By consuming ten charges (if less than ten charges remain, this effect cannot be used), the rod can generate a small decanter or phial of water and a handful of dry wafers. The water is especially pure and refreshing, and while the wafers are flavorless, they are very nutritious; this emergency supply will provide all the water and food the rod's owner needs for a single day. Given the relative cost of this ability compared to the relatively inexpensive cost of a day's meals, few but the desperate make use of this function.

---

This gives the Wizard a small amount of protection (not as good as a ring or amulet of protection, which would also affect saves), some extra offense abilities even when all spells have been exhausted, and some useful and flavorful utility for a graduate Wizard. It's also limited to a certain number of charges, so that it gives a time-limited benefit--essentially, made to last the player until just about the point where its benefits are no longer especially needed.

The only thing I would caution you about, with this, is that giving such an item to the player runs the non-trivial risk of increasing their frustration, should worst come to worst and the character dies. Now not only are they losing their first character, but also their cool magic item! So be careful about what you decide--whether this or another item. I can tell you're already on the lookout to avoid giving a power trip, but be wary of the issues from the opposite direction.

N'raac

First Post
The "one spell wonder" aspect of a 1st level wizard has been mitigated a lot in later editions with bonus spells, cantrips/0 level spells, etc. One possibility is to adapt one of those elements.

That said, at 1st level the fighter has the superior AC and hit points, but typically is only +1 to hit compared to the MU. Throwing daggers while working to stay out of the melee can keep the enemy focused on the more durable warrior while the MU continues to contribute.

The historical issue with this has often been that the Wizard doesn't feel very magical when most of his actions are mundane. A simple answer? Give the Wizard a wand which hurls flaming bolts, or globs of acid, or a spark of electricity or a ray of frost (pick any of the four and that's what the wand does). The Wizard must roll to hit, the same as any ranged attack, and the magical effect inflicts 1-4 damage. It's no more than an unlimited supply of throwing daggers, and taking the wand away is just as effective as taking away the daggers, but the wizard is contributing in combat and still feels magical.

was

Adventurer
Give the fighter a masterwork weapon. Give the wizard:
Staff of the Wandering Apprentice: cast mage armor and magic missile (1d4+1 only) at-will.

Celebrim

Legend
Whatever you do you should by no means make accessible the big problem solving spells like fireball, fly, and invisibility. The other thing which you should by no means do is give them at will abilities. The problem with at will abilities is that the 1e M-U is always balanced by resource management, and essentially you are saying with an at-will ability, "You don't have to manage resources." That may sound interesting, but its actually going to be boring.

The biggest problem a 1e low level M-U has is their lack of spell slots. If you don't want to make spell progression look more like 3e, I would give them some simple sort of staff of spell storing, which they could charge with say 6 1st level spells before the adventure begins, and refill during days that they have down time. The staff can only store 1st level spells, and otherwise acts as a +1 staff. If that is not enough because of the high pace of your game, give the staff some simple 1/day or 3/day powers like:

3/day: Emit light from its tip, as the spell light cast at 6th level of ability.
1/day: Produce flame, as the spell cast at 6th level of ability.
1/day: Cast Melf's Minute Meteors at 6th level of ability.

Have the staff be inherited from their former master, and make sure to convey to them just how powerful and valuable this item is.

The second biggest problem a wizard has is their lack of AC/hit points. To keep a wizard alive at this level, they need a reliable meat shield. I'd suggest giving the wizard a normal, non-magical, guard dog that fights as a 2HD monster but is well trained, obedient and generally loyal. Use the loyalty of henchmen rules in the DMG. If this doesn't strike you as good enough, because of all the missiles you expect to be flying around, consider providing a minor defensive item such as bracers of armor (AC 8).

During the adventure, make sure you place among the treasure various minor wands - detect secret doors is a good one - with a handful of remaining charges.

Deathstrike

First Post
Whatever you do you should by no means make accessible the big problem solving spells like fireball, fly, and invisibility. The other thing which you should by no means do is give them at will abilities. The problem with at will abilities is that the 1e M-U is always balanced by resource management, and essentially you are saying with an at-will ability, "You don't have to manage resources." That may sound interesting, but its actually going to be boring.

The biggest problem a 1e low level M-U has is their lack of spell slots. If you don't want to make spell progression look more like 3e, I would give them some simple sort of staff of spell storing, which they could charge with say 6 1st level spells before the adventure begins, and refill during days that they have down time. The staff can only store 1st level spells, and otherwise acts as a +1 staff. If that is not enough because of the high pace of your game, give the staff some simple 1/day or 3/day powers like:

3/day: Emit light from its tip, as the spell light cast at 6th level of ability.
1/day: Produce flame, as the spell cast at 6th level of ability.
1/day: Cast Melf's Minute Meteors at 6th level of ability.

Have the staff be inherited from their former master, and make sure to convey to them just how powerful and valuable this item is.

The second biggest problem a wizard has is their lack of AC/hit points. To keep a wizard alive at this level, they need a reliable meat shield. I'd suggest giving the wizard a normal, non-magical, guard dog that fights as a 2HD monster but is well trained, obedient and generally loyal. Use the loyalty of henchmen rules in the DMG. If this doesn't strike you as good enough, because of all the missiles you expect to be flying around, consider providing a minor defensive item such as bracers of armor (AC 8).

During the adventure, make sure you place among the treasure various minor wands - detect secret doors is a good one - with a handful of remaining charges.
Ha. Meat shield.
These are interesting points. We started the campaign today. They hired a couple of NPCs and the whole thing went very well....to a point. The magic user should technically be * ahem* dead, but I fudged one of the monster's attack rolls. I couldn't bring myself to kill their very first character! The guard dog is a brilliant idea.
Cheers. I'm writing all of these ideas down for future reference.

Celebrim

Legend
The guard dog is a brilliant idea.

I confess to having done this sort of thing many times before, so it's more of acquired wisdom than it is inherent brilliance.

For some reason it was in my head that you were using AD&D rules rather than BECMI, so some of what I suggested would require access to books you probably don't have.

If you are fudging rolls, either the M-U was being an idiot and deserved to die or else you are doing it wrong.

First level characters are very fragile indeed in BECMI rules and really should not be facing anything that does more than 1d3 damage with an attack. Unless you want to consider the PC's disposable, you should also avoid anything with multiple attacks (unless they do but 1 point of damage) or ranged attacks.

Beyond that, even some things that are weak foes are simply too potent to risk. Orcs or bandits for example should be held off until second level in most cases. Even a single one with its longsword, battle axe, or broadsword can kill pretty much any character they face on a lucky hit.

What you have to do is focus on really mundane challenges until you can level them up. Unfortunately, this is probably the origin of the old rats in the cellar trope. There are ways to re-skin that sort of thing into a more epic and atmospheric adventure though, and ways to tone down foes so that they are more easily handled (a drunk orc, for example, might be a more surmountable obstacle).

Deathstrike

First Post
I confess to having done this sort of thing many times before, so it's more of acquired wisdom than it is inherent brilliance.

For some reason it was in my head that you were using AD&D rules rather than BECMI, so some of what I suggested would require access to books you probably don't have.

If you are fudging rolls, either the M-U was being an idiot and deserved to die or else you are doing it wrong.

First level characters are very fragile indeed in BECMI rules and really should not be facing anything that does more than 1d3 damage with an attack. Unless you want to consider the PC's disposable, you should also avoid anything with multiple attacks (unless they do but 1 point of damage) or ranged attacks.

Beyond that, even some things that are weak foes are simply too potent to risk. Orcs or bandits for example should be held off until second level in most cases. Even a single one with its longsword, battle axe, or broadsword can kill pretty much any character they face on a lucky hit.

What you have to do is focus on really mundane challenges until you can level them up. Unfortunately, this is probably the origin of the old rats in the cellar trope. There are ways to re-skin that sort of thing into a more epic and atmospheric adventure though, and ways to tone down foes so that they are more easily handled (a drunk orc, for example, might be a more surmountable obstacle).
I'm not using BECMI rules. I'm using the Basic Fantasy RPG rules, and some house rules. I love 1e, but for this game I wanted to use something that the players would pick up on easily, and BFRPG is...well,basic. As far as fudging rolls....yeah, I'm going to hell.

Remove ads