Children of the Mud

sunshadow21

Explorer
[sblock=those talking to the priests]As you approach the temple district the next morning, it's impossible to miss a kerfluffle near the district entrance. There is an agitated crowd gathered around one of the smaller shrines with a Whitecloak trying to calm down both the priests and the crowd at the same, with very little success with either group.[/sblock]

[sblock=The Whitecloaks]You enter the office in the morning to find what you suspect to be the typical line of those seeking the aid of the Whitecloaks for various matters, from petty to genuinely serious. After about a half hour wait of listening to the numerous grievances and crimes being reported, often quite emphatically, it's your turn. As you approach the front desk, the corporal on duty looks at you wearily, "State your name and business, and please be short. In case you haven't noticed, there's a bit of a line."[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem the Cook with the Whitecloaks

Lem whispers to his companions, "Don't worry. I've got this." He flashes them a wink before turning around.

Lem starts off with a big grin, a plate of warm cinnamon rolls in front of him, "Oh, we'll only by a couple of minutes. These rolls were steaming when we first got here, but your line is really, really long and they've cooled off a bit. Which really makes me sad, because there is nothing quite like hot pastries on a cool morning. I find that the sugars used are equally important as the flour chosen for the baking, especially when they sit outside the oven for awhile. Now, I am quite unsure of the quality of your provisions given to you, so I really thought this would be quite the treat. I am sure that people probably bother you all the time for your help, without ever taking the effort to show appreciation, and I know a little appreciation goes a long way. It's probably because your job involves the application of violence, and people aren't comfortable about the possibility of getting their faces pummeled when you guys are around.

Oh, and I almost forgot. We are investigating the Children of the Mud and their potentially dangerous hijinks, so I was wondering if you could name drop some known associates of theirs along with where we can find them in case my mates and I have to go above the law and take part in vigilante justice."
Lem raises his plate of rolls higher as his optimistic grin grows wider.

Diplomacy
[roll0]

mfloyd3

Explorer
As you approach the temple district the next morning, it's impossible to miss a kerfluffle near the district entrance. There is an agitated crowd gathered around one of the smaller shrines with a Whitecloak trying to calm down both the priests and the crowd at the same, with very little success with either group.

Larissa looks with dismay at the argument, thinking it likely a distraction from her task. But the tenets of her faith require her to offer aid and advice to those in need. She makes her way over to the cluster to find out the nature of the disturbance.

[sblock=ooc]
SS21, FYI, I have updated Larissa's spell list.

As far as who is doing what, perhaps kinem should be with Lem? Then we've got a caster with each group, for what that's worth.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +11 Reflex: +3 Will: +10 (currently wearing Cloak of Protection)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,

Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (5+1) Level 02 (4+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Shatter
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Resist Energy
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Obscuring Mist * Zone of Truth
* *unassigned * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith

Level 03 (4+1) Level 04 (2+1)

* Speak with Dead * Summon Monster IV
* Remove Curse * Divination
* D: Holy Smite
* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light
* D: Heroism

Channeling at current level: Channel 4d6,
DC 18 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save.

[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
the Whitecloaks

Lem whispers to his companions, "Don't worry. I've got this." He flashes them a wink before turning around.

Lem starts off with a big grin, a plate of warm cinnamon rolls in front of him, "Oh, we'll only by a couple of minutes. These rolls were steaming when we first got here, but your line is really, really long and they've cooled off a bit. Which really makes me sad, because there is nothing quite like hot pastries on a cool morning. I find that the sugars used are equally important as the flour chosen for the baking, especially when they sit outside the oven for awhile. Now, I am quite unsure of the quality of your provisions given to you, so I really thought this would be quite the treat. I am sure that people probably bother you all the time for your help, without ever taking the effort to show appreciation, and I know a little appreciation goes a long way. It's probably because your job involves the application of violence, and people aren't comfortable about the possibility of getting their faces pummeled when you guys are around.

Oh, and I almost forgot. We are investigating the Children of the Mud and their potentially dangerous hijinks, so I was wondering if you could name drop some known associates of theirs along with where we can find them in case my mates and I have to go above the law and take part in vigilante justice."
Lem raises his plate of rolls higher as his optimistic grin grows wider.

Menik follows Lem, not entirely surprised at the developments.

"Officers, forgive my friend if he seems overly enthusiastic about helping with this case. You see, the Children of the Mud have messed with his brain somehow, sending him telepathic messages and whatnot. I am Menik; we've been asked by Captain Rossi to help with this investigation. Any leads you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Has there been a surge in missing person reports?

What my friend was getting as is that as private citizens we may be able to speak candidly with certain people who may fear arrest if they speak to the guards, such as certain necromancers for example."

ooc: diplomacy [roll0]

Last edited:

sunshadow21

Explorer
[sblock=Temple]It quickly becomes clear that the crowd is wanting to give offerings to some smaller deity of the region on a holy day, but the priest is not letting them in. For the priest's part, he's trying to convince the bored guard that the temple has been vandalized and an investigation needs to be launched immediately, as the deity is would take unkindly to the guard disregarding such a heinous act, on the most important day of the year for that deity no less; the guard is unimpressed, and looks like he simply wants to find the nearest tavern.[/sblock]

[sblock=Whitecloaks]The corporal briefly looks like he wants to throw Lem out, but between the food and Menik's intervention, he simply takes the plate with a grunt, "I'll see what I can find out." He disappears through a door, with the plate, and a few minutes later reemerges, minus the plate, with a note. "Seems this cook fella has been asking similar questions. Maybe he found something useful." With that, he returns to his disk and the seemingly endless line. On the note is an address for an older neighborhood on the edge of town.[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

Weylyn follows along with Lem and Menik, standing in line with the other two and doing his dead level best to keep his hands off the pastries the little cook has so carefully prepared. They smell delicious! As the other two carry on their negotiations with the Whitecloaks, the stocky man stands casually and smiles amiably at those behind him in line.
[/section]

[sblock=Actions/Rolls]Nuthin' t' see here![/sblock]

mfloyd3

Explorer
It quickly becomes clear that the crowd is wanting to give offerings to some smaller deity of the region on a holy day, but the priest is not letting them in. For the priest's part, he's trying to convince the bored guard that the temple has been vandalized and an investigation needs to be launched immediately, as the deity is would take unkindly to the guard disregarding such a heinous act, on the most important day of the year for that deity no less; the guard is unimpressed, and looks like he simply wants to find the nearest tavern.

Seeing the priest's discomfiture, Larissa steps forward, a suspicion gnawing at her mind. "Excuse me," she offers. "Would I be correct in guessing that this act of vandalism is in some way...odd? Perhaps magical in nature?"

[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +0
AC: 22 (22 flat-footed, 11 Touch)
HP: 93 Current: 93
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Fort: +11 Reflex: +3 Will: +10 (currently wearing Cloak of Protection)
PER Roll: +3
Move: 30’ (w/boots of Striding & Springing)
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+2 Greatsword Attack: +14/+9 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2)]
Damage: 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+2 Greatsword Attack: +12/+7 = [BAB(6/1) + STR(4) + WF(1) + Magic(2) +PA(-2)]
Damage: 2d6+14, Crit: 19-20/x2,

Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (5+1) Level 02 (4+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Shatter
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Resist Energy
* Light * Detect Evil * Grace
* Guidance * Obscuring Mist * Zone of Truth
* *unassigned * D: Spiritual Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith

Level 03 (4+1) Level 04 (2+1)

* Speak with Dead * Summon Monster IV
* Remove Curse * Divination
* D: Holy Smite
* Dispel Magic
* Searing Light