D&D 5E [IC] hafrogman's Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Forged Fury

First Post
"Sounds like we need to make for the keep..." Morgan looked toward the keep, a structure several hundred meters to the southwest. With a determined nod, she continued, "Here's the plan. As Carad said, we'll have scouts forward and back, Hunter to the front and Carad to the rear. The rest of us will travel in the middle. The owl up in the air, circumstances permitting."

Pausing, she looked at the bear. "Jeni, I'm not sure if you can hear me, but I'd like you to stick with Linan, Curth and the children while we're on the move. Big bears tend to scare people off. Can you nod if you can understand me?"

When the bear snuffled and nodded its massive head, she finished, "Same rules of engagement, only attack if life is at risk."

Looking to the family, she said, "If we get in a fight, Carad will tell you all where to hunker down while we take care of it."

Taking in the whole group, she finished, "Our main mission is getting these folk and ourselves to the keep. Once we get there, we can find out what's going on from this Governor Nighthill and try to do more. Let's cut through the town a bit, but generally make as direct approach to the keep as possible. If we can get near the walls, hopefully there are archers there who can cover our approach."

"Any questions or problems?" Morgan waited for input before giving the order to move out.

OOC: I'm imagining going through squares I3, I4, H5, and G5.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer

Pausing, she looked at the bear. "Jeni, I'm not sure if you can hear me, but I'd like you to stick with Linan, Curth and the children while we're on the move. Big bears tend to scare people off. Can you nod if you can understand me?"

Jeni_bear growled softly, as to not scare the family, and bobbed her head up and down, an awkward movement for the beast signifying approval. Looking at the children, the bear then made an exaggerated, almost comical bow, but the situation prevented any lightheartedness from transpiring. Her gesture was reassure them that she was not a threat, but a protector.

She then takes position five feet to the east of the family, the direction she feels an ambush or stray arrows are most likely to come from.

Spartain104

First Post
Venn simply nodded. With the city aflame around them, he simply leaned on his staff. All the while muttering incomprehensible phrases, every once in a while a few common words would surface.

"Dragons."
"Endless sky."
"Seething anger."

Even in reality it was probably nonsense but he seemed totally concerned with himself. As they began to move out he kept close to Morgan. Not that he was afraid, he just kept his distance from the bear who had recently raged against some kobolds.

OOC: Just in case,
[roll0]
[roll1]
And Venn will cast Light from his staff should they ignore stealth and need to signal the keep. It would either help move through the smoke or warn the defenders we were different.

hafrogman

Adventurer
The group sets off to the west, family in tow. Cuth is injured and Linan is still to afraid to let go of her spear and shield, so the children are walking beside them. They slow you down a little, but keep quiet for the most part. Hunter ranges ahead a little and quickly pulls up short. A group of five humans is loitering just under the eaves of a house to the west. They're armed, and don't seem terribly worried about the battle or any potential danger. In fact four of them are sitting down while the fifth stands over them, arguing about something.

OOC: They're at the western edge of I3. The original plan was to turn south here.

kuey1975

First Post
"Greetings Linan," Morgan replied to the woman, " My names's Lieu- uh, rather Morgan. Morgan Cavendish...

"Any questions or problems?" Morgan waited for input before giving the order to move out.

Carad, again, simply nodded silently in reply. As he moved towards the rear of the party though, he stopped briefly by Morgan's side and, under his breath so that only the she would hear, whispered, "I haven't been with Black Tide for long, and to be honest, I had not intended to stay this long. But although it is just down to four of us, I just want you to know that you are still our lieutenant." He then padded away and took up position at the back.

"Keep close together. By Mystra's grace, we will get through this," Carad said and smiled encouragingly at the family of five. He glanced at Cuth, who was clearly in pain but trying to keep up a brave front for his children, wishing not for the first time that Sarahlin, the Black Tide healer, had survived the dragon attack.

Nocking his bow, he kept close behind the family as the party set forth, keeping watch in all directions, especially the rear, whilst constantly keeping a lookout for defensible places he could shepherd the family should raiders strike again.

"Dragons."
"Endless sky."
"Seething anger."

Although Venn was some distance ahead, Carad's sharp ears still picked up some of his seemingly random mutterings. "Dragons? Again?" he thought. Frowning, he looked up into the sky and at the flashing lightning that rains down, once again recalling the slaughter of his comrades and also the Kuune'ithil's ominous drawings.

Last edited:

kuey1975

First Post
A group of five humans is loitering just under the eaves of a house to the west. They're armed, and don't seem terribly worried about the battle or any potential danger. In fact four of them are sitting down while the fifth stands over them, arguing about something.

Carad leans over to Linan and whispers, "Do you recognize any of them?"

Forged Fury

First Post
Morgan nodded in appreciation to the strange elf. He hadn't been with the Black Tide for long, but had fit in well during the time he was a member. Glancing at the bear, she also appreciated that the druid seemed to take to orders well. After the disastrous attack on the Black Tide, Morgan really had little desire to lead, but she was naturally suited for it and the order would hopefully keep them all alive, at least until they reached the keep.

Morgan didn't entirely understand Carad's relationship with his owl, but he knew he could somehow tap into the beast's senses. "Can your owl hear what they are saying?" she whispered, searching behind them and spotting a likely path south between two houses.

OOC: Morgan will suggest we cut through using that small path running south in J3. We'd keep off the paths as much as possible, using the houses to provide cover for our movement. Hopefully these other paths aren't as heavily patrolled.

kuey1975

First Post
"Can your owl hear what they are saying?" she whispered.

Carad nodded silently to acknowledge, and mentally directed Scree to land silently on the roof of the house the five men were under. Focusing inwards, Carad directed his mind to share his senses with his familiar, listening in to the conversation below.

[sblock=Scree's Stealth & Perception]
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Advantage from Keen Hearing
[/sblock]

hafrogman

Adventurer
Linan shakes her head. "No . . . I think they're with the raiders."

[sblock=Scree]Four of the men are wearing standard issue boiled leather and have wicked curved blades. The fourth is more heavily armored and appears to be of a more seasoned warrior. He and three of the others are sitting down, while the fourth stands over them.

"We're supposed to be gathering the offering, not taking a break! We never should have brought on mercenaries. They're a degenerate lot!"

The mercenary grins, revealing several missing teeth and takes a long swig from his hip flask.

"Don't be such a stick, Stannis! Let the scaly rats do the heavy lifting. When you've been in this business as long as I have, you learn to take your ease when you may. They'll be calling us back to make a push for the keep soon. There'll be plenty of work and death then. For now, sit your ass down and have a drink."

The mercenary hands one of the other men the flask who has the grace to look a little sheepishly at Stannis, but takes a swig anyways and shrugs.[/sblock]

kuey1975

First Post
Carad frowns deeply as he listened in, and dutifully shared what he saw and heard to his team under his breath. With his senses tied to Scree's, he was deaf and blind to his immediate surroundings, but he trusted his teammates to shake him out of his trance if needed.

"Lieutenant," he added, "if the path is too open, I can mask our movement with illusory smoke. A bit of a gamble though. If they see through it, it could draw their attention instead."

OOC: In other words, if deemed necessary, Carad will cast Silent Image of smoke 15ftx15ft from the nearby burning buildings being blown into the area to mask the party's movement.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases