D&D 5E [IC] Egon's Lost Mine of Phandelver

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Endurance grunts approval at Gnash's prudence.

"Agreed. We know we want to bring the cart along here eventually, but we should be safe first." He pauses, then huffs a laugh at himself. "I do tend to charge in."

Endurance looks for two rocks that he can place in the middle of the road either side of the tripwire, just to ensure that they don't accidentally miss things if they should be running by or travelling at night, but leaves the trap rigged.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Keira shrugs at Gnash's request.

"Very well. Anastriana, if you will take the right, I will go left."

She slips into the woods, hoping that sneaking through the woods isn't too different from avoiding notice on the streets of Neverwinter.

OOC: Stealth - [roll0]
Perception - [roll1]

Egon

First Post
You are able to set markers so that should you come back this way, you will be able to easily identify where the snare is and not step blindly into it. You continue to move along the trail in you current formation, and every 10 minutes or so you are able to spot yet another trap of some kind - the most notorious being a couple of covered pits with sharpened spikes at the bottom of them. It is obvious that the Goblins are prepared for any normal people who happen along the trail, but you are not normal people; the Goblins might just be stupid enough to discount adventurers or hardened explorers.

After an hour of traveling along the trail - or about 3 miles from where you parked the cart, give or take a bit - you come across a large cave set into a craggy part of a small hillside. A shallow stream flows out from the cave mouth, which is screened by dense, prickly briar thickets. A narrow, worn dry path leads into the cave on the right side of the stream (opposite side from where you are).

[sblock=Map]
cragmaw_player_map_by_ghostbusteregon-d9a0r3k.jpg
[/sblock]

OOC: All characters receive +75 XP.

I apologize for the terrible map; for some reasons, there aren't many (if any at all) player maps for LMoP, and I'm no artist.

Forged Fury

First Post
Anastriana examined the cave mouth suspiciously. If the goblins were planning on the traps alerting them, they would need someone capable of hearing it. She held up a hand to the rest of the party signaling them to wait. Moving quietly deeper into the thicket to the north, she tried to get a better angle on the area around the cave mouth, attempting to look both inside and outside.

[sblock=Game Mechanics]
OOC: Stealth = [roll0]
Perception w/Advantage = [roll1], [roll2]

HP: 11
AC: 15

She'll move to try to see better, but won't leave the concealment provided by the woods/thickets[/sblock]

hafrogman

Adventurer
Keira stays put while Anastriana scouts the entrance. Staring at the dark cave entrance, she thought of how Neverwinter thugs would lure the unsuspecting into a dead-end alleyway, and then step in to block any retreat. She keeps an eye out over her shoulder for goblins ready to do the same.

OOC: Perception - [roll0]

Schmoe

Adventurer
Gnash stands quietly at the ready, his axe low at his side and his shield raised slightly before him. He waits patiently for Ana to give the all clear, preparing to lead the attack into the warren of goblin cutthroats.

[sblock]Assuming Ana doesn't find anything, Gnash will proceed into the cavern, moving cautiously.
[roll0]
As Gnash has Darkvision, he doesn't think to ask anyone to bring a light source.
[/sblock]

Egon

First Post
Anastriana creeps quietly to the entrance of the cave, hoping to inspect it - and whatever may lie just inside it - a bit closer. Unfortunately, her attention is drawn away from the cave to a pair of Goblins sitting on the blind side of the thickets. They are sitting lazily around the remains of a fire, each with a bow in arm's reach of them, short swords strapped to their sides. They appear to be engaged in conversation of some sort, but it is painfully obvious that they are wholly unaware that you are there. And it is also obvious that they are not there by accident; the campfire all but loudly states that these Goblins are supposed to be lookouts.

OOC: Anastriana has the opportunity for 1 round of surprise, if she so chooses to take it. You are partially hidden, giving you half-cover at the moment. If you choose to fire upon them, you may do so per the rules of surprise. And then, at that point, we'd evolve into full-blown combat. And yes, if you get multiple attacks you may split them between the Goblins to attack both of them. I'm used to people asking that, so I'm answering it before you can think it.

Should you choose to go back to the others and alert them first, provide a Stealth roll against a DC of 9 to do so without making too much noise.
[sblock=Map]
cragmaw_player_map_by_ghostbusteregon-d9a0r3k.jpg
[/sblock]

Forged Fury

First Post
Anastriana narrowed her eyes. What to do? she thought. She figured she could probably take one of them out without a problem, but worried the other would flee into the cave and alert its companions. Better to alert her companions and setup an ambush to flush them out than trying to do this by herself. She silently padded her way to the rest of the group and reported.

"There are two goblins around a campfire, south of the cave mouth on the other side of the thicket. I didn't get to see much of the cave. I think we should set up an ambush," the elf whispered.

[sblock=Game Mechanics]
OOC: Stealth [roll0]

[/sblock]

hafrogman

Adventurer
Keira shrugs and considers the layout, whispering back.

"You and I take the entrance; the others give us a count and then charge in?"

She quietly draws one of her blades and then extracts a dart from somewhere behind her back, and twirls it in her other hand.

Last edited:

Remove ads