Weather in Campaigns

Once long ago, I was DMing a party that went through the Yatil Mountains of Greyhawk, with some of the members of the party not having tents and winter blankets. Another time they were trapped in a village that was running out of food. They survived both events, but they always have camping gear and a lot of rations along, and Leomund's Hut and Create Food and Water are considered "important" spells to gain.

I'm pretty sure there was a story here on the boards where a DM had a near TPK because the party's big bad fighter got caught in a sandstorm and the rest of the party tried to rescue him rather than stay inside the shelter....

MarkB

Legend
Personally, I only use weather effects if they'll make a decent encounter, such as a sandstorm in a recent desert-pirates campaign.

I do recall playing a 3.0 game in which the DM had us roll for weather effects, which ended up being quite memorable. We were trekking through a somewhat swampy grassland, and managed to roll in the upper 90s on the weather table three times in a row, with the result that a massive multi-day rainstorm flooded the entire region and left us stranded on an ever-shrinking island of slightly higher ground.

The party druid was the only one still mobile, being able to wildshape into avian or aquatic forms, and he turned into an eagle and set off to get help. He ended up rolling so badly for the weather during his journey that he was eventually killed flying into a cyclone.

Arcshot

First Post
Generally sky will be mainly sunny or cloudy for simplicity seek. Rain is when scenarios call for it.

Seasons will be roughly tracked. Arctic creatures can move further into lowlands during winter.

Recently I am tracking the moon phases closely. This is after one of the PCs got bitten by a werewolf.

pemerton

Legend
I recently found myself looking at the weather tables in the Greyhawk boxed set. I am running a Burning Wheel game set in Greyhawk (the Wild Coast/Hardby/Bright Desert area), and when the party spent over 18 months resting, recuperating and studying I thought I better have a look at the changes of the seasons and establish a campaign calendar.

The Greyhawk rules are very intricate. I couldn't imagine using them in the systematic way advocated by the book. But they did give me a general feel for seasons and temperatures.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I used the weather tables in Dodeca Weather a few campaigns back, and I found it quite enjoyable. That said, I did have a bit of a learning curve in that it took a few false starts before I realized that the product works best to when you use it to generate one or two weeks' worth of weather ahead of time, rather than trying to roll up the weather during game-play.

Celebrim

Legend
My PC's are currently traipsing around in the jungle (on the Isle of Dread, or at least my version of it, specifically), and weather plays a limited but important role in the game. The most common weather effect is the one that is probably least mentioned - unusual cold and heat.

The way I've been mostly handling it is with some custom heat rules meant to be simple to use. Most heat rules usually call for hourly checks, which becomes hugely burdensome in long distance travel, and tend to produce unrealistic PC oriented results. (9-12 damage per day from ordinary summer heat, means that commoners should never survive an August.) So I've got my own daily heat effects table. Mostly the effects amount to your max hit points being a few points lower during daylight hours, and so the less hardy characters are relying on the cleric's Endure Elements spells. A few hit points gone, and a few spell slots used up is the extent of the weather for the most part.

Sooner or later its going to rain one night, and since the party lacks tents some characters probably won't get much sleep that night and will be fatigued and distracted the next day. Otherwise, rain is mostly a nuisance that means terrain is slippery when you run and charge and not a real danger - unless it is combined with extreme cold, in which case without proper gear it can be lethal.

Depending on the terrain the party might have problems with flash floods and the like if it rains hard. For 8th level characters, this is likely to a fairly trivial problem, unless for some reason no one in the party can make the survival roll for suitable camp site.

But really dramatic weather effects are pretty rare. Serious lightning storms are usually brief and don't happen every day. Serious wind storms are even rarer, and you might not see a natural wind storm over the course of a campaign. Serious hail is likewise rare. Seeing a tornado in person is for most people (without a car to chase them) a once in a life time sort of experience. Even in hurricane prone regions, a tropical storm is a once every 2-4 years experience and a full blown hurricane once a decade or so. Except for wetlands, major flooding is for most areas a once in a decade sort thing. Deep snows normally only happen every few weeks even in cold regions. In this sense, because weather of the sort that we think of as weather is rare, there is really not much reason to keep track of it or to use it as anything but a story element.

In such campaigns, weather need only occur in special weather generating places - Mount Awful, The Desert of Desolation, The Frozen Wastes, etc.

For me the principle reason to track weather is to remind myself it is there, and that it is a dial that I have access to in my story telling. At the very least, I like to have a background of normal weather so that when unusual weather happens, the PC's aren't immediately going, "Ok, so we'd better buff up, clearly something is about to attack us."

Li Shenron

Legend
I use weather and seasons all the time, and I like to often push descriptions to the extreme to help set the scene. Lots of snow in the winter, lots of flowers in the spring and so on...

For weather, I do roll randomly sometimes, but in general I prefer not too abrupt changes. For instance, I prefer a week (or even month) of rain rather than just a day here and another there. I like things rolling out slowly, and I like when players remember features of look & feel like "that was the adventure where it rained all the damn spring..." :D

It's clearly of secondary importance, but it's one of those things that help set the look & feel slightly different for each adventure. Others are terrain, recurring monsters, dire circumstances... sometimes I think I'd even like jotting down a few tables to generate random adventures. Then roll and get something like "winter + swamp + undead + heavy clouds + wild magic area" or "autumn + forest + giants + strong wind + plague crisis"... or "summer + desert + krakens + snowy + reversed gravity" (gotta see how I pull that one off...).

Recently I am tracking the moon phases closely. This is after one of the PCs got bitten by a werewolf.

I try to do that, but usually I mess it up, so I tend to just ignore it when someone gets written by a lycanthrope, rather than trying to track it properly.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Before I was ever a D&D geek I was - and still am - a weather geek; so of course weather is relevant in my game! Ages ago when I started DMing I did up a bigass convoluted series of weather tables, used them for a while, then abandoned them and just started going by memory. Each game-day morning I roll some dice - d% for general conditions, d% for windspeed (j-curved), and d% for temperature. If needed because someone's levitating outdoors or something I'll roll a d8 for wind direction.

For general conditions low = sunny, clouds increase as the roll gets higher until by about 60% it's solid overcast. The high 60's to low 90's are increasing amounts of rain (or snow), the mid-90's get stormy or hail or whatever, and if I get into the high 90's or 00 fasten your seat belts. All of this, of course, varies by location - for example even a 75% roll in the middle of the desert still means almost entirely sunny.

For windspeed - it's flat calm if I roll very low, mild or intermittent breeze on a low to mid roll, steadily increaing through the 70's and 80's. Get into the 90's and there's a gale blowing.

For temperature, I have a vague idea of what the seasonal average should be for where the party is and if I roll near 50% that's what you get. Lower means colder than average, higher means warmer.

I try to do that, but usually I mess it up, so I tend to just ignore it when someone gets written by a lycanthrope, rather than trying to track it properly.
Written by a lycanthrope? Dare I ask how that works? ;)

Lan-"mentioning the in-game weather now and then can really help set a mood"-efan

Remove ads