D&D 5E [GUIDE] Into the Woods We Go: The Ranger Guide

renevq

Explorer
I still don't like zephyr strike much. I'd take it as it's good to have when u need it but shouldn't be needed much.

Don't get me wrong I really like the flavor of horizon walker. They make a better melee ranger IMO. I guess their benefit should probably be viewed early as having spells left over to heal with so they can actually susain their hp for melee combat. That's not a bad early benefit I guess.

Well, you know, "He that fights and runs away..." and all that; Zephyr strike makes you really mobile. The archetype, in my mind, is very gish-y and the spell furthers that image. Maybe later I'll take Magic Initiate for the SCAG cantrips and possibly Find Familar.

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
I still don't like zephyr strike much. I'd take it as it's good to have when u need it but shouldn't be needed much.

The biggest issue I have with Zephyr Strike is that it competes w/ Hunter's Mark for your Concentration. The degree of friendliness with Hunter's Mark is a strong factor in how I personally rate Ranger spells.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The biggest issue I have with Zephyr Strike is that it competes w/ Hunter's Mark for your Concentration. The degree of friendliness with Hunter's Mark is a strong factor in how I personally rate Ranger spells.

As I think it was mellerod pointed out, there's now to ranger subclasses that don't need to rely on hunter's mark and it's concentration for damage. In fact Hunter's Mark get's pretty fiddly in conjunction with those subclasses. Zephyr Strike gives them an interesting combat option that doesn't really hurt their bonus action economy.

mellored

Legend
As I think it was mellerod pointed out, there's now to ranger subclasses that don't need to rely on hunter's mark and it's concentration for damage. In fact Hunter's Mark get's pretty fiddly in conjunction with those subclasses. Zephyr Strike gives them an interesting combat option that doesn't really hurt their bonus action economy.
At least until level 9. Then horizon walker get's haste. Which they can use and still get their bonus action damage.

But for other sub-classes, it's a bit meh. Seems better as an escape option then an attack one.

FrogReaver

High elf gloom stalker, with control flames as their cantrip.

S only won't spoil your surprise, and 60' out ranges torches.

I would think casting control flames would break your hiding. Hidden != Invisibility. Unless it's being played differently a lot of places.

mellored

Legend
I would think casting control flames would break your hiding. Hidden != Invisibility. Unless it's being played differently a lot of places.
most spells make noise (with a verbal component), which would break stealth. But control flames does not require any noise. Just quietly wiggle your invisible fingers shouldn't alert anyone.
You'd still need to spend the hide action first, of course.

FrogReaver

most spells make noise (with a verbal component), which would break stealth. But control flames does not require any noise. Just quietly wiggle your invisible fingers shouldn't alert anyone.
You'd still need to spend the hide action first, of course.

Blah I really hate 5e stealth rules. Another thread I know but GAH!

If I'm invisible and hidden and wringle my little fingers at an enemy then my location is revealed. Invisible and Hidden and wringle my fingers at the campfire, I'm still good!

mellored

Legend
Blah I really hate 5e stealth rules. Another thread I know but GAH!

If I'm invisible and hidden and wringle my little fingers at an enemy then my location is revealed. Invisible and Hidden and wringle my fingers at the campfire, I'm still good!
You can remain hidden casting spells on enemies. Just have to find the ones that have no noise or flashy streak of light. (Though the vast majority have a verbal component, so there are not many. Honesty, they should have made it the default, and called out the quite spells as exceptions).

Sorcerer can, for instance, can cast a subtle firewall and remain hidden.

Attacks also break stealth. So you can't quietly shoot someone with an arrow.

FrogReaver

You can remain hidden casting spells on enemies. Just have to find the ones that have no noise or flashy streak of light. (Though the vast majority have a verbal component, so there are not many. Honesty, they should have made it the default, and called out the quite spells as exceptions).

Sorcerer can, for instance, can cast a subtle firewall and remain hidden.

Attacks also break stealth. So you can't quietly shoot someone with an arrow.

Well now I'm highly entertained. Has anyone compiled a list of spells that you can use and still remain hidden? What about ones you can use with subtle spell and still remain hidden?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases