D&D 5E [GUIDE] Arrive on Time - A General Guide to Wizardry

TheBigHouse

Explorer
So does using booming blade or green fire blade count as "When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you’re holding in one hand" for the purposes of two-weapon fighting?

mellored

Legend
So does using booming blade or green fire blade count as "When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you’re holding in one hand" for the purposes of two-weapon fighting?
No.

You attacked, but you didn't take an "attack action". You used a cantrip.

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Yeah. That's what I thought. So the question is how this will stack up vs favoured soul and bladelock.

Is this a good alternative to a warlock 2 sorc 18 for dpr?

I feel like there's almost no reason to go bladelock over bladesinger. The fiend features are nice but I don't think they can compete with bladsinging, wizard spell list (haste) and the defensive feature. The only benefit of lock is that lifedrinker is always on and comes 2 levels earlier.

Last edited:

Spartin

First Post
Yeah. That's what I thought. So the question is how this will stack up vs favoured soul and bladelock.

Is this a good alternative to a warlock 2 sorc 18 for dpr?

I feel like there's almost no reason to go bladelock over bladesinger. The fiend features are nice but I don't think they can compete with bladsinging, wizard spell list (haste) and the defensive feature. The only benefit of lock is that lifedrinker is always on and comes 2 levels earlier.

Bladesinger and bladelock are (relatively) close in effectiveness until the wizard gets their core defensive/utility spells then Bladesinger soars away (sometimes literally) leaving Bladelock in the dust by being an equal melee combatant outside of Bladesong and vastly superior in it alone, and then having access to things like shield, blur, Invis, expedious retreat, simulacrum etc etc.

mellored

Legend
Why rogue 2? Greater invisibility already prevents opportunity attacks, no Disengage needed.
BB->Hidden->BB as an OA.

Simply being invisible, and the enemy will know where you are, and can attack you, use an AoE, or at least not provoke from you.

Being hidden and the enemy will move unknowingly out of range provoking an OA. Or waste time being paranoid about the invisible stalker.

Also, sneak attack boost damage.

NADRIGOL

Explorer
TWF Bladesinger

So after an early post of Bladesinger Optimization suggested going...

Variant Human (DM must ok)
Dual Wielder
Fighter 1
Two-Weapon Fighting Style
Dual Rapiers, Extra Attack, +Dex + Int to all attacks
War Caster at level 4

...I've been running with the idea.

I ran my own Attack vs Cantrip table for the build because it changes things a lot, especially at higher levels.

This assumes the above build pieces plus Fighter 1 Wizard 19... Obviously some will rather Fighter 2 for Action Surge and give up the last Ability Score Boost (Could give up War Caster at 4 to get all the ability boosts, and be careful about S/M components)

TWF BS.png
edit: Fixed error in table

I'll be playing this character in a campaign starting this week. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Cast Animate Dead a few times and use your bonus action to shoot arrows via skeletons. :)

Not a bad idea.

Melf's Minute Meteors, Misty Step. . .

Would be nice if there was a way to get spiritual weapon that keys off int =)

If you are going two-weapon, is it worth grabbing hex or hunters mark?

Remove ads