Spells Stacking/Overlapping vs Dispel Magic

anon

First Post
In brief: My character was hit with 4 Dimensional Anchors from 4 different casters. How many successful targeted Dispel Magic's will it take to let me teleport/be free from the spell(s)?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
In brief: My character was hit with 4 Dimensional Anchors from 4 different casters. How many successful targeted Dispel Magic's will it take to let me teleport/be free from the spell(s)?

One targetted Dispel Magic on you will make a dispel check against every currently active spell. That is, a separate check against each Dim. Anchor, and against your Haste, your Endurance, your Protection from Evil, etc.

So in theory, if you roll well, you could dispel all four Dim Anchors with one Dispel, but it's not guaranteed.

-Hyp.

anon

First Post
Four spells or One?

I was assuming I would want to target just the specific spell(s): Dimensional Anchor.

Do I need to do that 4 times, or only once?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Four spells or One?

I was assuming I would want to target just the specific spell(s): Dimensional Anchor.

Do I need to do that 4 times, or only once?

If you target the spell, you target each spell separately. One per Dimensional Anchor. 4 times. On the bright side, you won't hit any of your personal buffs.

If you really need to teleport out quick, target yourself, damn the buffs, and hope for good dispel checks.

-Hyp.

anon

First Post
Followup question.

Is this rule consistant?

If I cast Cat's Grace on myself 4 times will an opponent have to Dispel it 4 times as well?

My general line of thinking was that only one specific spell effect can be active at a time. Additional castings will simply extend the duration, or in the case of variable effects (d4+1 for CG) take better of the two, but that both spells weren't actually still there. Wrong?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Followup question.

Is this rule consistant?

Yes.

If I cast Cat's Grace on myself 4 times will an opponent have to Dispel it 4 times as well?

Yes. It's of particular advantage with Area Dispels, which only get one spell on each person.

My general line of thinking was that only one specific spell effect can be active at a time. Additional castings will simply extend the duration, or in the case of variable effects (d4+1 for CG) take better of the two, but that both spells weren't actually still there. Wrong?

They're both active. They just don't stack.

If you cast a 4 hour Cat's Grace and roll a 5, and then two hours later you cast another one and roll a 3, then for the next two hours you'll have +5 to Dex, and then the first spell will wear off. But the second spell is still active for another two hours, and you still have +3 to Dex until it wears off.

-Hyp.

Remove ads