D&D 5E [IC] Uller's Out of the Abyss

DMAesh

Explorer
Ezraen grunts at the wound and looks up, as if looking through miles of rock at the sun that is entirely invisible to him.
OOC: I am going to use 4 hp of my lay on hands to heal myself back to full. That should leave me 1 hp in case somebody drops and needs to be brought back. :)

Then the half-drow ascends the watchtower to help get everyone's equipment and begins passing them down to his companions below.

SunGold

First Post
OOC: On my way to the tower, if Erevan didn't pick them up, I'd like to grab the bread/rations and waterskin off the dead drow. (I don't care who has them, I just care that someone has them.) I'm also going to bring the crossbow I'm already carrying. ETA: And if Erevan is still here working on the chainmail, I'll mention to him as I run that there's lots more in the tower and it's safer there.

Once I get to the tower, I'd like to:

1. Close and bar the southwest door (as I do so I'll ask an NPC to do the same to the other door, once everyone is safely inside)
2. Grab one of the drow's packs with the rations, bedroll, etc. as I pass through the first room and up the stairs. If I have time, I'll paw through it and only put the useful stuff in my own backpack when I get up to the armory. If not, I'll sort through it later.
3. Grab my pack of stuff/rapier, as well as one of the extra shortswords and a couple cases of bolts for the hand crossbow.
4. Get out of the shackles
5. Aim the upstairs heavy crossbow toward the arrow slit that lines up with the one in the southwest door below (so, facing Ilvana's/the bridge) and load it. If I need to move it to do this I'll ask for help from the nearest NPC.

Last edited:

Uller

Adventurer
OOC:
So here is my understanding of what everyone is up to at this point:

Surana: Close the southwest door and grab the drow's rations and kit. There are enough rations in there for 3 days for one person as well as enough water for 1 day. Nothing else of use really. Jimjar unlocks you and you go upstairs and start setting up the heavy crossbow.

Ezraen: Heals himself up (and is probably quite grateful that what could have been a fatal blow ended up a mere scratch). With Ezraen tossing gear down, everyone can gear up.

Evandur equips his weapons and gear and gets out of his shackles.

Orsik also gets out of his shackles, gears up and starts handing the other heavy crossbow from upstairs downstairs.

Derendil helps lift it down and starts setting it up. It can be aimed out an arrow slit in the door. Ront (after also getting freed), finds his weapons (a great axe and javelins) and armor and starts armoring up! (this will take 5 minutes...he looks at anyone that challenges him on this as if they are mad) Eldeth finds her shortsword and light cross bow and bolts.

Sarith reaches into a nook below the table in the lower room and produces another set of keys! He unlocks himself and tosses them to Shuushar. "Make yourself useful, fish boy and unlock the others." He then grabs one of the barrels of water and dumps it and begins tying one of the ropes to it. "We can use this to lower supplies to the bottom! No one will get far without food and armor." Eldeth starts helping him fill with various supplies.

Buppido grabs a handcrossbow and some bolts and then begins looking out an arrow slit and chuckling to himself.

JimJar busies himself unlocking everyone he can.

Topsy and Turvy also gather some weapons and some food and look like they are getting ready to try to climb down the cliff.

Drum just sort of cowers in the corner and you all begin to wonder how the stubby little myconid is going to get down when the time comes.

It is very hard to see what is going on among the other hanging towers. For several moments all you can see within the narrow range of vision you have to the southwest figures of drow milling back and forth. The demonic creatures at first are maneuvering about the cavern...the bird-like creatures trying to avoid the insect-like ones, but they are outnumbered and not as maneuverable. In a desperate attempt to shake their pursuers, they fly right through the main platform among several drow. One of them shrieks a scream that is so unnaturally horrible it feels as if the inside of your head shaking. You make out several drow stagger about the platform. The other, as it passes shakes its feathers and you see a strange glowing dust. falling down on the drow...they all seem to retreat toward area 3 but you can't tell for sure. The four insect like creatures are on them then and battle begins between them. The drow do not seem to notice that you have the tower and you still see no movement in Ilvana's

OOC:
you probably still have several moments before anyone notices you. The drow are probably hunkering down at this point and none are able to get to where you are at least for the moment. Take some time to discuss what you want to accomplish and how.

DMAesh

Explorer
Ezraen smiles, Lathander watches over us even this deep below...

The half-drow attempts to sneak across the bridge to Ilvana's tower and check the door (after listening for activity on the other side.)

[roll0]
[roll1]

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Upon hearing his fellow prisoner, Erevan drops the dead drow, forsaking his attempt to get the armor off. Yes, there would be plenty more at the tower, where all their stuff must have been brought! The elf quickly looks around to see if all the other prisoners are freed, at least enough so to move, before carefully looking outside the pen to make sure no drow guards are looking his way. There is hardly any cover on the way to the tower, so he'll have to move swiftly and silently.

Taking a deep gulp, Erevan moves towards the tower.

OOC: Dexterity (stealth) check: [roll0]

Uller

Adventurer
After the drow guards drop there are a few moments that are a whirlwind of activity. You and most of your fellow prisoners run for the tower. Everyone starts doing something different. Some are grabbing weapons and other gear, others are piling up rations and water, others are grabbing ropes and talking about how far down the chasm floor is and whether or not it might be worth just tossing useful items down and then making a leap for it. Surana and Orsik take charge in the upper chamber. Orisk hands one of the heavy crossbows down to people below and starts breaking out bolts from the cases. He and Surana briefly discuss having his spider scurry across a rope attached to one of the heavy bolts and attempting to scout the other tower. They push the mount to one of the arrow slits, Surana and Eldeth start turning the crank to arm the bow while Orsik ties a rope to one of the bolts.

Below, Sarith recommends closing and barring the door "while we still can" and points out that his former comrades are unaware you've taken the tower but that will soon change. Erevan and Ezraen note the importance of acquiring spell foci from Ivara's quarters and begin across the bridge cautiously.

Sarith, probably out of habit from long years of ordering quaggoth's about, turns to Derendil "Grab that crossbow and charge it then set it to fire toward the main hall. I'm going to fire are anything that comes our way! You, orc, be ready to help reload!"

"Give me an order again and I'll load your twink ass in that contraption, drow!" Ront finds his axe and other gear and begins looking about for something, at first you're not sure what. Then he lays on Eldeth, seems convinced she's okay and positions himself by the door that leads toward the slave pens to watch for threats from there.

Once both crossbows are set, the rogue and paladin start crossing the bridge as cautiously as they can. The demonic flying creatures are still flying about the cave in a desperate chase. At first they didn't seem all the concerned with the drow.

But as one of the bird creatures comes around the tower with two of the bug creatures close behind a volley drives it straight toward you. It sees you, spreads it's wings to slow and gain altitude then dives straight the bridge in an effort to get the bugs to notice you. They do but they don't break the chase. Each twists around the bridge, one strikes one of the ropes, shaking the bridge and nearly toppling Erevan and Ezraen over and into the webs.

Just then, three drow soldier and one of the junior officers appears along the ledge coming from area 4 toward the same bridge to areas 6-8 that the elf and half elf were moving towards. They notice you, call out and begin moving toward you.

OOC:

We agreed that I'd roll init to keep things moving...so...here goes...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Uller

Adventurer
OOC:

Rolls didn't take (I think because I previewed the post...second try....

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Remove ads