Favorite Name For People With Super Powers?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
So recently I've been watching TV and have heard the following names for those with super powers:

Inhumans
Evos
Mutants
Tomorrow People
Alphas

I'm sure there are lots more from lots of different sources, but this is just what I've seen recently.

Personally, I'm fond of Mutants, but that's because I grew up watching X-men The Animated Series, even though it's probably among the more degrading of names.

Just wondering what other people thought and what other names I've missed.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Metahumans and Metas

Mutants never really worked for me, except in the very specific case of Xaviers Mutants,
I prefer more real world phrases like "Human anomalies" as adopted in Misfits of science

and as an aside I associate The Tomorrow People with the British Kids show from the 70's where they were known as both Homo Superior and Homo Novis, the US series was too different for my liking

talking about British TV did the Misfits have a special designation beyond Misfits?

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've never liked the word Metahumans. It just has no character for me. Plus it's a bit specific - not all superpower characters are human. Superman's a a Kryptonian, Wonder Woman is a demigod, etc.

Mutant doesn't work for the same reason.

I guess I just like "superhero".

Scorpio616

First Post
I guess I just like "superhero".
Well, not all such characters are going to be protectors with great potency. Plus there's some Trademark issues related to that term. Issues that involve going toe to toe with TimeWarner's and Disney's hordes of lawyers.

Trademark status[edit]
Most dictionary definitions[2][11] and common usages of the term are generic and not limited to the characters of any particular company or companies.
Nevertheless, variations on the term "Super Hero" are jointly claimed by DC Comics and Marvel Comics as trademarks in the United States. Registrations of "Super Hero" marks have been maintained by DC and Marvel since the 1960s,[12] including U.S. Trademark Serial Nos. 72243225 and 73222079. In 2009, the term "Super Heroes" was registered as a typography-independent "descriptive" US trademark co-owned by DC and Marvel.[13]
Critics in the legal community dispute whether the "Super Hero" marks meet the legal standard for trademark protection in the United States-distinctive designation of a single source of a product or service. Controversy exists over each element of that standard: whether "Super Hero" is distinctive rather than generic, whether "Super Hero" designates a source of products or services, and whether DC and Marvel jointly represent a single source.[14] Some critics further characterize the marks as a misuse of trademark law to chill competition.[15]

"Humanoid anomalies" works for me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, not all such characters are going to be protectors with great potency. Plus there's some Trademark issues related to that term. Issues that involve going toe to toe with TimeWarner's and Disney's hordes

I'm not clear how the trademark status is supposed to impact my choice of my favourite term for these characters?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I've never liked the word Metahumans. It just has no character for me. Plus it's a bit specific - not all superpower characters are human. Superman's a a Kryptonian, Wonder Woman is a demigod, etc.

I actually like the idea of different orgins being identified as different so Superman isn't a Metahuman,he is an Alien as are both the Asgardians and the Olympians (and depending on origin story that makes Wonder Women either half-alien or an alien construct - and of course magic complicates things).

It makes sense to me that Wolverine is a Mutant, Hulk is an Enhanced Human and Batman a peak human.

and heres the list from Mutants and Masterminds
aberrants, aces, alphas, angels, avatars, awakened, capes, chosen, deltas, deviants, elites, exarchs, extraordinaries, freaks, gammas, geeks, gene-freaks, gifted, godlings, Homo Superior, hyper-humans, incredibles, inhumans, inspired, marvels, masks, metas, metahumans, mutants, nephilim, novas, omegas, paragons, paranormals, post-humans, powers, psis, psions, psychics, psykes, seraphim, specials, stalwarts, superlatives, supernaturals, superiors, talents, übermenschen, ultras, unnaturals, unusuals.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, not all such characters are going to be protectors with great potency.

Well, the OP stipulated that we are talking about people with "super powers". The "super" kind of implies potency.

But, you are right about them not all being heroic. So, I usually use "supers" as the generic.

My favorite terms probably come from the Wild Cards series - "Aces" for people with cool powers. "Jokers" for people who are disfigured by their powers. "Dueces" for people with powers that are, well, lame.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases