Constitution? 14th Amendment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
It's like a 13th Amendment, but with a four instead of a three.

No. I mean, yeah it's possible the judge is also a racist, but I'm more interested in discussing the motivations of the Texas officials for making these changes and targeting Mexicans. The legality doesn't interest me. The judge did what he did. It's procedural. I'm betting in the end the state of Texas will end up losing the case. The Texas officials just happened to have found a way to legally take take away a natural born citizen's 14th Amendment rights. Their reasons remind me of the reasons republicans across the country give for voter ID laws. They're claiming to address a problem that isn't there.

Is it for racist reasons that they're doing this? Yeah, most likely.

No problem with this, at all. I'm not ready to issue a blanket condemnation of it as racist, but I am certainly aware there's a decent probability it is. My issues are arguments that it's obviously racist based on definitions that don't agree, or that it shouldn't need to go to trial.

As an aside, there are other paths for the citizen children to receive all of their due rights in this case. It just happens that such routes expose their illegal parents to immigration officers. I'm not saying this makes it all better (it clearly doesn't), I'm just pointing out that such things exist.

Last edited:

No problem with this, at all. I'm not ready to issue a blanket condemnation of it as racist, but I am certainly aware there's a decent probability it is. My issues are arguments that it's obviously racist based on definitions that don't agree, or that it shouldn't need to go to trial.
Who or what doesn't agree with the definitions?

As an aside, there are other paths for the citizen children to receive all of their due rights in this case. It just happens that such routes expose their illegal parents to immigration officers. I'm not saying this makes it all better (it clearly doesn't), I'm just pointing out that such things exist.
Sure, it's like saying you can get medical care, but we're going to have to cut off your sack when you get it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Scroll back through the last few posts?

You should probably take it as a given that a person asking such a question either has already chosen not to, or the previous posts in question are not nearly so clear as you may think.

Either way, just telling folks to go back and read is 1) not constructive and 2) A bit of a passive-aggressive passing the buck of clarification, which can be a bit insulting, really.

Which comes out to - if you're not going to actually answer the question, don't answer the question. Pointed non-answers do not improve anything.,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads