DEATH OF RONIN.jpg

Enter Diana Springfire and Gear

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
“03 FIND JAXEN WILLOWTRENDER”
SEGMENT 21
“TWO BECOMES FOUR”
11/28/15

RHAAN 19, 1000 WINETREE, ELDEEN REACHES

Diana Springfire and Gears traveled to the Winetree area searching for an artifact rumored to be located in a cave or ruin within a few days travel past Winetree. ( see Heroes of Eldeen ) Gears, her canine homunculus with a shocking bite, sits quietly at her feet . Sir John has been speaking of the legend of the immortality necklace for nearly twenty minutes now. She just nods and hums once in a while. This man has more stories than she figures the average Sharn bard has.

Then she hears ‘Emerald Claw’ spoken.

“Wait! What was that again?” The Halfling artificer with a metallic arm blurts out. “the Emerald Claw has been looking for it also!?!”

“Well yes, as I saying….” He begins again to be cut off once more.

“When was that?”

“A few years ago. The Heroes of Eldeen stopped them. “Gussa I believe Gilfer said. A gnome follower of the Claw. Very rare. Not many gnomes follow the Blood of Vol- much less become members of the Order.”

Nervously she asks for a refill. “Blood of Vol….?”

“Yes. The vast majority of Claw members are recruited from Vol.” huffs Sir John with a smirk. “Does this surprise you?”

“Yes. Er… no. I… well I thought the Vol was about eternal life. That is not an evil thing.”

“I suspose so.” Says the old man with mischief in his eyes. “Blood of Vol followers are not all evil…. But many do not understand that difference. Much as some followers do not know of the connection.” He looks down at the Halfling as he pulls out his pipe. “Know a few members?”

“Yes.”

“I follow the faith myself.” She says with strength and purpose.

“Well now, that is interesting.” He lights up his pipe. After a few starter puffs, he looks to her again. “I hope I did not offend you Miss Springfire , was it?”

“Yes. I mean NO!. I was not offended. I just never really talk about it.”

“Indeed.” He comments while looking at her warforged looking slender right arm.

Before he can go any further there is a noise outside. Gears lifts its head up with interest and thumps its metallic tail a few times on the floor.

“The boys are returning already. That is not such a good thing.” He suggests.

In a hissing lisp, they hear- “For the last time- No. We are not going in there again without a better doorman.”

Though very deep, a child-like response answers him. “Then can we to the mountains? I want to climb up there and see the forest from there.”

“And risk the harpies again. No.”

Enter a dark skinned lizardfolk wielding a bow and a giant of a man with strange lumpy growths on his skin.

“Sir John. Miss.” Greets the archer.

“Puppy!” bursts Hardfist as he drops to a knee to pat Gears. Gear snarls and crackles with electricity. “oh.” Is all the goliath has to say. He sits on the floor and the two of them have a stare off. One with a goofy smile of wonder and awe, the other with a crackling metallic toothed set teeth.

“Where is your dwarven friend? Ronin I believe.” Asks Sir John as he reaches for drinks for the two.

“Dead.”

“A tree ate him.”

The lizardfolk swirls in his seat and growls at the giant of a man. “Sometimes I wonder why I stay with you Hardfist.”

The goliath beams a smile of innocence and joy at him then returns to wanting to pet the machine.

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
SEGMENT 22
“THE RETURN”
11/28/15

RHAAN 21, 1000 POND BY THE CLIFFS, ELDEEN REACHES

“So, you are searching for an artifact that gives eternal life?” asks Kar-Draith

“Yes. All of my research suggests it is near here. No artifact of this description has been brought to Morgrave or the other institutions of history and magical research. I don’t see someone just wearing it and hiding either.” (DM NOTE: Like Sir John?)

“So by helping us you also hope to find it?”

“Yes.” She answers as she continues to ride atop her homunculus, an Iron Defender named Gears. “But what makes you think this Willowtrender guy is here or even still alive?”

“Followed him from Passage. Seems the Emerald Claw is after him also.”

She remains quiet at that.

The goliath continues to follow Gears like a lost puppy. All he wants to do is pat the creature but it clearly wants nothing of him. Patience.

They reach the low hilltop overlooking the pond. The ranger points out the pond and the tree that killed Ronin Wardrum. The tree remains split in two from the goliaths brutal kicks. The low mound of earth and a stone still marks his grave. Hardfist becomes sad while looking at it. He liked the dwarf.

Then he smiles. But now I have a dog.

“Is there another way in?” she asks.

“Why?”

“there is another trail that goes around the water… over there.” And she points to it.

“Oh.” And the archer looks closer and sees movement in the thick brush near where the trail logically intercepts the cliff side.

“Guard.”

“Why have a guard?” she wonders with a smile.

Hardfist shrugs his shoulders and watches his new strange puppy some more.

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
SEGMENT 23
“THE RETURN”
11/28/15

RHAAN 21, 1000 POND BY THE CLIFFS, ELDEEN REACHES

Kar-Draith swims quietly through the water while Diana and Hardfist walk down the trail leading to the guard. The ranger’s grand plan fails as he encounters a swarm of tiny water snakes in the tall water grass.

The guard sees him at this point as he hears him thrash about. Instead of alerting anyone inside, the man dressed in a dark green poncho with black trim steps up to the water and watches in gruesome joy as the snakes attack. This distraction allows the others to get very close before being spotted.

They make short work of him and find the keys to the well concealed door on him. They go in quietly and hear more activity. They can smell a familiar smell that none can place. The worked stone passageway is ten x ten feet wide and high.

The first room is a storage room. They search it and find mundane basics from trail rations and water to cloth and sunrods. They take a few rods.

The next room has people within it. The door is unlocked so they decide to ambush whomever is inside. Readying the door, Hardfist charges through it and strikes the source of speech- a stableman. He drives the surprised man back nearly into a wall while the lizardfolk is quick to engage the other man. The Halfling and her creation back him up. Neither stableman remains awake for long. The horses are spooked but trained to settle quickly when spooked and do so.

Looking around more they find a hallway going deeper. They find another storage room then go beyond that room into a dark room. Here they are attacked by toughened zombies (Dread Warriors). The next room has two bodies within it. Emerald Claw members.

They begin by searching the bodies when suddenly Hardfist calls out and disappears. Kar-Draith scrambles back away from the body he was searching trying to spot the attacker. Diana and Gears also try to spot the assailant. A bodiless cry from the goliath comes from nowhere. “What is wrong?”

A second slap and the goliath calls out again. The ranger spots a hazy cloud that appears then disappears once more. Suddenly Gears disappears. Then the Halfling feels a cool pressure wash over her also. Everyone is missing except for the archer. Gears reappears then disappears again.

The Halfling knows this is not an invisible stalker but a creature that involves invisibility in its attacks. She begins to attack with a wand thinking about the creature…. Focusing on it. She, Gears and Hardfist are pummeled once more. The archer takes a flail from a downed Emerald Claw warrior and swings it as close to the others as he can without hitting them. It is a wild swing. As is the next attack. But the third swing has resistance. A shimmer appears that appears to be a large blob-like creature that is encasing the other three.

More attacks from the wand, Gears’ electrical bite and the mad swings with a flail weaken it a lot. Taking a hint finally, Hardfist begins to strike into the air.

The Invisibility Living Spell is defeated.

Healing potions and wand charges for everyone.

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
SEGMENT 24
“TRAPS, CREATURES AND DEADLY ENCOUNTERS”
11/29/15

RHAAN 21, 1000 CLIFF RUINS, ELDEEN REACHES

“That last trap hurt!” swears the Halfling as she pats out the flames on her sleeve of the robe. This reveals the warforged arm more but neither Hardfist nor Kar-Draith say anything.

Many of the doors are trapped. Most are fired based. Many of the doors are locked also. Whichever ones the artificer could not open Hardfist did.

There are several grotesque statues of fiendish amphibian creatures. Hardfist finds one coated with blood. Recent blood.

Diana sees a door that is unlocked. After looking for more traps she carefully opens the door. It is a small room and what is inside is grisly. A female elf dressed in a mix of black leather and robes is dead. She has been ensnared with barbed and razor bladed chains. She has also been impaled onto a wall of spikes. It appears the chains grabbed her and pulled her into the spikes. Her tools are at her feet. She died recently. Within the last two days.

Another room hidden in deep shadows and thick cobwebs high up has a puddle of Green Slime on the floor. Kar-Draith nearly steps into it. The Halfling explains what it is and how fast it acts. The lizardfolk decides he will not rush into any rooms in the near future.

That said, when entering a new corridor he trips a magical trap. A large fiendish and monstrous scorpion appears. It has separated him from the others. Hardfist is bumming. Due to the small corridors he cannot reach the scorpion to help take it down. Only the other three can. It goes down in time.

They encounter a powerful sonic blast trap. Diana is determined to explore the room. She believes that to have such a powerful magical trap on the door, there must be important goods on the other side. Inside are several crates. In the crates are non-dragonshard crystals. She senses magic within them so she insists they take them all, sixteen in total.

Another room has a green flame covered floating skull. Between the blur spell, mirror images of itself and the fireball it castes it does a lot of damage to the group.

They notice that many of these rooms have been explored already. There are bodies of Emerald Claw here and signs of looting. In one ransacked room, Kar-Draith discovers a glass jar filled with green thick fluid. Remembering his lesson about the green slime he decides to keep it as a weapon. The Halfling reminds him that if that jar breaks there will be no saving him. He uses it on a trap door on the floor. The corrosive ooze melts through and onto the hidden dead bodies of Emerald Claw agents and an orc.

They decide to look for somewhere to camp.

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
SEGMENT 25
“DREADFUL RATS”
11/29/15

RHAAN 21, 1000 CLIFF RUINS, ELDEEN REACHES

Hardfist lingers behind the others as they search for traps at various doorways in the hallway. He peers into a dark room and can just make out a huge sculpture of a fiendish and twisted looking creature. As he looks over the statue a small creature appears from on the top. It resembles a rat crossed with a porcupine. The archer peers in to see what the goliath is up to and shoots the creature dead with one shot.

After warning the Goliath about leaving the party, they search for hidden items with no luck. Leaving the room they remind him once more. He looks at the dead creature and sighs and follows the group.

Entering a room next to this one they encounter a Dire Rat nest. Nearly a dozen of the vile creatures attack. Gears steps up to begin the attacks as the archer fires over the shoulders of the creation and its creator. The creatures press them hard due to their numbers but they are no match for the combined powers of the group from Morgrave.

They explore several empty rooms. Most of these rooms are unlocked or even lack a door.

They enter a hallway with a glowing and floating stone orb slightly carved to resemble an eye. The archer tests the orb. He touches it with his bow with no results. Next he touches it with his hand. Nothing. He attempts to push it but cannot. Hardfist is asked to try and he too cannot move the eye but the attempt does have a result. It glows slightly brighter.

Curious, the artificer reaches up to it and attempts to “read” it and its magical aura. She cannot but senses it is a guardian of some sort. Her attention to it has further awakened it. It begins to move slightly as if watching up and down the hallway.

Still there is no harm or action that could cause harm.

Going down a hallway to the left they spot a very strong door. They try magically and physically to knock it down but cannot. Deciding to move on they encounter a darkness spell. It makes their torch lose its light, then their sunrod. Next they try a light spell but negates itself in the unnatural darkness . They stumble back relighting the torch and move to the next branch of the hallway.

It is a large room with a blue barrier acting as a door. There is a round six-inch blue circle with an one inch hole in the center. The artificer sees no way to open the barrier but suspects it has something to do with the circular blue area. Perhaps a special key goes here.

Finding no other exits or free hallways, they turn around and repeat their steps. But first they rest in a small room with a solid door.

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
SEGMENT 26
“THE EMERALD CLAW”
11/30/15

RHAAN 22, 1000 CLIFF RUINS, ELDEEN REACHES

After resting they retrace their steps being careful not to reactivate any of the traps. They return all the way to the far western edge of the dungeon and find a reinforced door. It is locked and Halfling artificer cannot open it.

Once more it is up to the goliath to break it down. On the third thunderous attack it breaks in…. time enough to warn the others on the opposite side.

Many Emerald Claw agents and two Dread Warriors prepare for whatever is coming. Their experiences from the creatures on that side of the door is bad and they are taking no chances.

Hardfist rushes forward literally running over an undead warrior and launches himself into the human soldiers.

There is a spell caster within the forces also.

The spellcaster can see the warriors cannot hold up to the invading adventurers so he commands them to cover his retreat. He and another man turn and flee the dungeon.

The three of them and the construct clear the Claw but spend valuable time healing and repairing themselves.

They move ahead and find a few guards in the shadows. The Halfling wants someone to question. Hardfist has a hard time holding back but keeps one alive. They find the horses are all gone. Taken by the leader and a few of his or her men.

They begin to “question” the man. They learn something of a shock to them. Jaxen Willowtrender wasn’t being chased by the Emerald Claw. He is a scout for them! This was to become a possible base of operations in Eldeen for them.

Knowing they cannot keep up with the men on horseback they turn back and finish exploring the ruins. Little is found except for a journal- Willowtrender’s journal. Looking through it quickly they see names and places. They hope this will help Professor Zilshire.

The halfling’s search for a mysterious magical item has come up sort but possibly Zilshire could help with his Morgrave connections. She travels with them back to Sharn.

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
“04 THE STOLEN”
SEGMENT 28
“REPORTING IN”
01/03/16

SYPHEROS 18, 1000 TRAVIS LANDING, ELECTRIC RAIL STATION

The four of them arrive in Sharn late that night after a long trip. They left the Emerald Claw member in Passage where the authorities would find him. They hope they give him a quick trial and punishment.

Without questioning them, Diana follows the two men to their apartment and stays there. Gears keeps a close watch on them. She may trust the men but the construct doesn’t. Especially the big one. He wants to constantly pat it like a pet.

SYPHEROS 19, 1000 MORGRAVE UNIVERSITY

The halls are already thick with students dressed in the black robes of the Morgrave University. They walk with purpose through the crowds and reach the lecture hall where Zilshire’s office is. As they narrow the path to it they spot a strange little gnome ahead of them.

He is dressed in tattered and heavily stained red robes. He has thick glasses that make the gnome’s eyes look incredibly large. A possibly diseased cat sits at his feet. Patches of hair are missing and the tail looks broken on the poor cat. He is knocking on the next office door down from Zilshire’s.

“Ezmarilda! Ezmarilda open up! I’m back from the Marches! You have to see what I found there!” The gnome begins to pound on the door. Students step wide of the gnome and the racket he is making. “Comon Ezmarilda! I saw you go in!” He begins to kick on the door now. After the third kick he stops and hops around holding a bruised foot. “Ezi! I’m beginning to think you are trying to avoid me.” The door suddenly opens and a tall elven beautiful woman dressed in fine Aundarian clothes steps out. “What is it Assimo?”

The group hesitate knocking as they watch the events occurring a mere ten feet away. “I just returned from the Shadow Marches and boy! Do I have things to tell you!”

“Some other time Assimo.”

“And the things I saw! Look what I collected-“ The gnome begins to fish around his robe in a disturbing manner. The female students give a sickened look as they hurry past him. “Look at this!” The gnome pulls out a glass jar filled with about a dozen colored beads…. No beetles. He heaves it up with pride to the face of the elven professor of Draconic Lore. She shrieks in mortal terror and twists and turns away from the confused and disappointed gnome.

She runs past the group. Kar-Draith swears she is growing bigger as she passes them. “But I thought you would want to see them.” Says the gnome with a deflated voice. They group watches as the fleeing professor begins to sprout wings and her limbs begin to bulk up in bursts (think Dr, Hyde from League of Ex. Gentlemen) and before reaching the exit a large Silver Dragon is plowing through students and taking to the sky.

“I guess she didn’t like them.” Pouts the gnome.

As Kar-Draith is about to knock on the door, the door opens. The ditzy secretary is there again. “Like- hi guys! We wondered if you were ever going to return.” The guys begin to enter the room as she continues. “Where were you? Karrnath? The Principalities?”

“Eldeen. Is the professor in?” asks the lizardman.

From the office one can hear the professor calling for them. “What were you finding out there? Magical artifacts? Wow- I never get to go anywhere.”

“Send them in !” demands the professor from the closed door. Smiling sheeplessly, she motions for them to go on. She notes Ronin isn’t there.

“Where is the grump?”

“He didn’t make it.”

“Oh. And who are you?” She asks as the Halfling and her construct step in next.

“Diana and this is Gears.”

After learning Ronin Wardrum is dead but someone helped them the professor asks for her to come in also. She leaves the door open and the secretary hovers near the open door- listening intently.

He is stunned that Jaxen Willowtrender has anything to do with the Emerald Claw. He is given a shortened version of what happened. He is then given the bag and journal they found that belonged to Jaxen.

He hands out the agreed funds and reward and offers Diana Ronin’s share. She declines so it is split between Kar-Draith and Hardfist.

He then offers her the position opened up by Ronin. Free housing but to be on call for paid missions and errands. She agrees and they leave the professor with the journal which he is already reading…. In disbelief.

After returning to the apartment, Kar-Draith collects a few items he wishes to sell.

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
“04 THE STOLEN”
SEGMENT 29
“REPORTING IN”
01/03/16

SYPHEROS 19, 1000 TRAVIK’S LANDING, SHARN

After asking around for a place to sell equipment and items found on the Emerald Claw and the late Ronin, they find themselves in Travik’s Landing. On a higher level, they find the store they were looking for- Kilt’s Necessities.

“Do you buy goods?” asks Kar-Draith as he enters the shop.

“I do I do.” Answers a human male salesman dressed in leather with Brelish Blue color trim.

Kar-Draith pulls out a bundle and unwraps a nicely made crossbow. “It belonged to a friend of mine. He fell in action.”

“Really? So Sorry. So sorry. So sad.” Kilt looks down at the weapon. “Nicely made. Very nicely made.”

“How much will you give me for it?”

Kilt sights the weapon and hefts it. “magic. I sense magic on it.”

Daina spots movement under his leather chest piece. A homunculus peers out and looks at the piece then the lizardfolk ranger. Having satisfied it’s curiosity, it retreats under Kilt’s chest piece.

“One thousand. One thousand gold.”

“Thousand two.” Counter offers the ranger.

A moment or so passes….. “Yes. Yes I will do that.”

They offer up some more mundane equipment they took from the Emerald Claw. Unless marked, he takes these also but at less that 33% value. Bolts are cheap and very commonplace after all.

“Do you any interest in this?” They present the one foot tall jade statue of a beholder.

Kilt is not impressed. “No. No art stuff.”

Kilt directs them to a shop two doors down.

As an afterthought, Kar-Draith asks about Kilt selling weapons. He wants a Compound bow made for his strength. He has nothing but will ask around.

They leave and find a sign saying “Reldi’s Artifacts”. They go in. The shop is amazingly crowded with statues, totem poles, pots, instruments and things they are not sure what to call. They look around for a minute before what they thought was a mannequin moves- “hell-ooooh. I am Reldi. What do you seek?”

It is a tiefling.

The tiefling collects and sells goods from Xen’drik and other planes and places. A deal is made and the group move on.

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
“04 THE STOLEN”
SEGMENT 30
“STOLEN GOODS”
01/03/16

SYPHEROS 25, 1000 MORGRAVE UNIVERSITY

A student intern knocks on the door of the group’s apartment. The startled teenager holds the message up for Hardfist whom thanks him before closing the door on him.

He hands the message to Kar-Draith then sits near Gears again to watch his “puppy”. The lizardfolk archer opens the message and reads it quickly to himself. “Zilshire wants us to visit. Something about Morgrave and additional funds and benefits.”

Once more the group are in Morgrave working their way through the crowds of giddy young ladies and scurrying young men in the lecture hall where Professor Zilshire has his office. Anita is trying her best to look busy in the office. She is cleaning some shelves in the reception room.

“Oh Awesome- you guys made it.” She bubbles in her usual quirky manner. “When I ,like, sent out that message I was afraid you wouldn’t get it. The boy was so distracted.” Today, the young secretary is wearing a mini skirt made of flamesnake skin with a white blouse and black jacket. She looks like a woman from the Firelight district rather than a secretary of a Morgrave professor.

Once inside the cluttered office, the professor peers out from a small pile of books referencing Eldeen and Droaam. “We have a means to raise some monies for our future trips,” begins the professor, “and better- possible non-monetary benefits.” The group says nothing as they listen.

“Two days ago, an ancient tome was removed from the Morgrave Library. Stolen actually. The University has offered a reward for its return.”

“Is this worth our time? How much is the reward?” asks the Halfling artificer.

“Not a great deal. It is more about making a statement for further attempts to steal University property. But our coffers are low and the more important part is the possible backing we can get from the University in the future.”

The group is not happy with this. The job seems below them and the rewards are more for him than themselves. But it is work.

What the professor knows at this point and passes on-

The book was used two weeks straight by a library customer.
He wanted to then “buy” the book but could not.
He made a scene about this.
Two days later, this same book is stolen.
Darren, the reader, is made the primary suspect.
The library has his listed address.

The University would rather keep it quiet. They are aware the news of this will travel through certain circles which is fine, it recovered and the thief punished, it will send out a warning to people within this “circle”. However, the general public doesn’t need to learn of this as it would be an embarrassment to the University and a suggestion of weakness for future theft attempts.

With little enthusiasm, the group agree and leave to location the address of ‘Darren’.

He lives in Lower Tavick’s landing in the Foundation district. It is the homes and small workshops of poor people. Many work in the Cogs or with caravans. Taking a bridge that leads to the section they spot City watch officers.

Sure enough, the Watch is at Darren’s given address. When they begin to linger the officers ask them to move along.

“What happened?” asks Diana.

“Murder.”

Remove ads