D&D 4E 4e ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Zathris

First Post
How do Polearm Gamble and a fey beast companion's Alert Companion aura interact?
You wouldn't grant the CA. Doesn't really justify the use of PG or the Panther companion though, both are still generally bad options for what I hope would be obvious reasons.

thanson02

Explorer
Question: Our party recently went up against a swarm of scarabs. In response, our Druid turned into a swarm of spiders and attacked the swarm of scarabs. In this case, do both parties receive half damage or do they cancel out the swarm property and receive full damage?

wasteomana

First Post
There is no mechanical justification for what you are talking about. There is no power called Swarm of Spiders (Although there is a Swarm of Scarabs power oddly enough) so I have to assume you are talking about normal shapeshifting via Wild Shape. Wild Shape does not change your game statistics, so it would have no effect as the druid does not count as a swarm. If they were both swarms it also would not make neither or either not gain the benefit if being a swarm. The power Swarm of Scarabs would be pretty good against a swarm, but also not have the effects described.

All that being said if the DM lets rule of cool supersede the rules of the game, have fun and go wild. There is, however, no way we can give you a response you will like from a rules perspective.

juli watson

First Post
hi...,

i am basically not aware about the optimization my firends are talking here ..i only have a knowledge about optimization that take place for searching purpose..

--thanx and regards--

Zathris

First Post
There is no mechanical justification for what you are talking about. There is no power called Swarm of Spiders (Although there is a Swarm of Scarabs power oddly enough) so I have to assume you are talking about normal shapeshifting via Wild Shape. Wild Shape does not change your game statistics, so it would have no effect as the druid does not count as a swarm. If they were both swarms it also would not make neither or either not gain the benefit if being a swarm. The power Swarm of Scarabs would be pretty good against a swarm, but also not have the effects described.

All that being said if the DM lets rule of cool supersede the rules of the game, have fun and go wild. There is, however, no way we can give you a response you will like from a rules perspective.
Probably simply a Druid with the "Primal Swarm" class feature, the related powers (including how they Wild Shape) all describe changing into a swarm of insects and often involve taking half damage. However, as you mention they never gain the "swarm" trait. Either way it's simply going to come down to what powers are being used, swarms typically take full damage (or more damage) from burst/blast powers.

Zathris

First Post
hi...,

i am basically not aware about the optimization my firends are talking here ..i only have a knowledge about optimization that take place for searching purpose..

--thanx and regards--
Is this in reference to the druid question asked by thanson02, or did you have a question of your own?

thanson02

Explorer
There is no mechanical justification for what you are talking about. There is no power called Swarm of Spiders (Although there is a Swarm of Scarabs power oddly enough) so I have to assume you are talking about normal shapeshifting via Wild Shape.

Yes, I am talking about Wild Shape. And come to think about it, he probably should have turned into a medium sized spider, not a medium size swarm of spiders.......

Wild Shape does not change your game statistics, so it would have no effect as the druid does not count as a swarm. If they were both swarms it also would not make neither or either not gain the benefit if being a swarm.

So in general, two swarms attacking each other would cause half damage to each other. Got it.

I was just looking for clarification because I have never run into two swarms fighting each other in gameplay. My personal "likes" are irrelevant in this case.

Thanks for the clarification!

thanson02

Explorer
Probably simply a Druid with the "Primal Swarm" class feature, the related powers (including how they Wild Shape) all describe changing into a swarm of insects and often involve taking half damage. However, as you mention they never gain the "swarm" trait. Either way it's simply going to come down to what powers are being used, swarms typically take full damage (or more damage) from burst/blast powers.

I have to double check to see, but I think he has the Primal Swarm class feature. My main question was whether two swarms attacking each other would cause only half damage to each other or would the two abilities cancel out because they are engrossed into each other, which got answered.

darkbard

Legend
Query: I am a hybrid Cleric|Shaman just hitting 11th level and about to assume my PP, Luckbringer of Tymora. Currently I use a totemic longspear (personal reach plus increased targeting range through spirit powers) and a symbol of victory as implements. (We also use inherent bonuses, so I don't need to worry about advancing items beyond entry level.) When I receive the Luckbringer's F11, proficiency with one heavy blade that can be used as an implement, is there any utility in this for me, an improvement on my current implements gleaned through some heavy blade item I'm overlooking? Or am I better off sticking with what I have?

Remove ads