So ... Supergirl

Saw the previews for Supergirl on TV.

Why Supergirl? Why not Superwoman? I mean, it's not like we had Superboy, or Batboy. Even the Wonder Female got the Wonder Woman title. They don't call her Wondergirl.

I'm not trying to be PC here; it would be silly to call the show and the character Superperson. Nor am I on some feminist rant, insisting on Superwomyn. I might be grammatically motivated, but then Stupendous Woman or Excellence Woman might really be more accurate terms.

I mean, really, why Supergirl?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I mean, it's not like we had Superboy,

Oh, we totally had Superboy.

34568-5261-38611-1-superboy.jpg
superboy.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also there's Hellboy, Kid Flash, Colossal Boy, Beast Boy, Astro Boy, and Lightning Lad, off the top of my head.

Ryujin

Legend
Seems to me that damned-near half of the "Legion of Superheroes" from the 30th century were something-boy or something-girl.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Super girl emphasizes her youth in comparison to her cousin Superman - I'm also expecting to see some commentary on modern sexism and the perception of girls in tights (thats hinted in the costume try-outs)

also if you've seen the trailer the point is specifically called out by Cat Grant as a Girl Power thang

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
It seems there is a trend on shows that bring up someone's origins a lot lately, Gotham, arrow, flash, why not super girl?

Why Supergirl? Why not Superwoman? I mean, it's not like we had Superboy, or Batboy.
Probably because the character is a product of the 1950s. She was designed to be subserviant to the male character, Superman, and thus she couldn't be an adult like Superman was. She had to be a younger and less authoritative figure.

Even the Wonder Female got the Wonder Woman title. They don't call her Wondergirl.
Wonder Woman was kind of a feminist icon from the start.

Remove ads