D&D 5E Ice Paraelemental [Custom Monster Help] (RCNovak)

Clockwerk66

First Post
Originally posted by RCNovak:

Looking for some help looking at this stat block I developed for an Ice Paraelemental for use in a future game. I thought it would be an easy transposition as there were a lot of Elementals already ready to reference in the Monster Manual, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't more powerful than the other CR 5 Elementals. I based it's Attributes entirely upon the Earth Elemental (due to a similar consistency in form, weight, etc.) but am also open to tweaking the numbers... I'll ask you Math Whizzes for help on that.

UPDATE: Altered the stat block to reflect changes propsed by fellow users. Can anyone weigh in on if this too powerful for a CR 5 Creature?

Frost_Atronach_1_0.jpg

Born of clashing, residual elemental energies from the Planes of Air and Water; the Ice Paraelemental is a craggy, glacial spire given life. Its body is composed of segmented plates of sharpened ice that fold and shift over themselves as the elemental lumbers forward, with motes of snow drifting off it's frigid mass.
Ice Paraelementals effortlessly maneuver through the harshest wintry conditions and tundra hazards, and can even freeze water beneath their feet to make smooth passage over rivers, lakes, and ponds. Simply making contact with one exposes victims to an intense frost that can benumb muscles and chill bones.

Ice Paraelemental
Large Elemental, Neutral

AC: 17 (Natural Armor)
HP: 126 (12d10+60)
Speed: 30 ft.

STR: 20
DEX: 8
CON: 20
INT: 5
WIS: 10
CHA: 5

Damage Vulnerabilities: Fire
Damage Resistances: Bludgeon, Piercing, Slashing from Nonmagical Weapons
Damage Immunities: Cold, Poison
Condition Immunities: Exhaustion, Paralyzed, Petrified, Poisoned, Unconscious
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 10
Languages: Aquan, Auran
Challenge Rating: 5

Frost Form: The elemental can freely pass through nonmagical, unworked ice or snow. While doing so, it doesn't disturb the material it moves through and it is unaffected by difficult terrain or movement-impairing effects that would be caused by arctic conditions. If the Elemental makes contact with a body of water or liquid that is principally water (not counting Water-Based creatures), it freezes the liquid to a depth of 6 inches over a 10-foot area around it. This ice lasts for 1 minute. In addition, a creature who touches the elemental, hits it with a melee attack, or is swimming in water frozen by it suffers 3 (1d6) cold damage. If caught swimming, that creature is also pushed to the nearest unoccupied space of swimmable water.

Freezing Aura: Any creature who begins their turn within 10ft of the Ice Paraelemental takes 3 (1d6) cold damage.

Numbing Cold: Whenever a creature would suffer Cold Damage originating from the Ice Paraelemental, they must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution Saving Throw or have their speed reduced by 5 ft. This effect is cumulative to a reduction equal to 0 ft. for total movement speed. The target can only remove this effect by spending a short or long rest somewhere warm.

Multiattack: The elemental makes two Puncture attacks.

Puncture: Melee Weapon Attack, +8 to Hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 Piercing + 1d8 Cold + 5 Damage (14).

Originally posted by DMIncognito:

I realize you were primarily looking for advice on stats, but this looks absolutely badass, and something I'd love to find a reason to put into my campaign! Great work.

If you're tweaking the Earth elemental and haven't gone crazy with new powers (I haven't done a side-by-side compare, but my gut says you haven't), I think you'll be right in line with the others.

DMIncognito wrote:I realize you were primarily looking for advice on stats, but this looks absolutely badass, and something I'd love to find a reason to put into my campaign! Great work.

If you're tweaking the Earth elemental and haven't gone crazy with new powers (I haven't done a side-by-side compare, but my gut says you haven't), I think you'll be right in line with the others.

Thank you for the positive feedback so far! Cold has always been my favorite D&D Element Type, and knowing I want to have a primarily ice-based campaign coming up made me realize I needed an elemental to go along with it.

I like it's powers so far, I didn't think Restraint was too harsh to apply to melee attacks, especially with tun-by-turn saves. The one thing I was wondering about was it's ability to walk on water; I based it off of the secondary effect of Otiluke's Freezing Sphere. That spell actualy forces people caught swimming in the blast zone to make a save or otherwise be stuck in the ice, but I felt like that might give this monster too much stuff to worry about in terms of book-keeping. Then again, the situation where it catches up to someone swimming might be rare enough that it wouldn't be a bad idea to implement, if just for the dramatic flair of it all.

Originally posted by Varden_Khol:

RCNovak wrote:Numbing Cold: Whenever a creature would suffer Cold Damage originating from the Ice Paraelemental, they must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution Saving Throw or become Restrained. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of it's turns, ending this Restraint on itself on a success.

If you're worried about this being too powerful try replacing it with these:

Numbing Cold: Whenever a creature would suffer Cold Damage originating from the Ice Paraelemental, they must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution Saving Throw or have their speed reduced by 5 ft. The effects stack and the target can only remove them by spending a short or long rest somewhere warm.
Freezing Aura: Any creature who begins their turn within 10ft of the Ice Paraelemental takes 3(1d6) cold damage.

I figure this will get you the same narrative effect, of people getting frozen, without it being an on-or-off status.

Varden_Khol wrote:
If you're worried about this being too powerful try replacing it with these:

Numbing Cold: Whenever a creature would suffer Cold Damage originating from the Ice Paraelemental, they must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution Saving Throw or have their speed reduced by 5 ft. The effects stack and the target can only remove them by spending a short or long rest somewhere warm.

Freezing Aura: Any creature who begins their turn within 10ft of the Ice Paraelemental takes 3(1d6) cold damage.

I figure this will get you the same narrative effect, of people getting frozen, without it being an on-or-off status.

Ooh, yeah I love that it is a slow and steady process with the freezing, and I dig the very fluffy "rest somewhere warm" aspect of it. I don't know if Numbing Cold has too many triggers (Hit by, being hit, and Freezing Aura)... but I decided to reduce the reactionary cold damage to 3 (1d6) to keep it in-line with the Aura. I also widened the frozen area of water it generates to 10 ft. to keep it sized with the Aura, as well. Decided to add it to the Stat Block.

All-in-all I'm very pleased with how it sounds and looks on paper, but without seeing it in-play I can't tell if it's within the same CR.

This also makes me very interested in creating the other missing Paraelementals... new project for me, perhaps? Haha.

Originally posted by fullm3talOptimus:

Woah, super cool, I love it. Like, absoluetly awesome! I would totally love to see the other missing ones as well. And I ddi a side by side comparison to the others and in my opinion you are good where you are to keep it even

Originally posted by Varden_Khol:

RCNovak wrote:
Ooh, yeah I love that it is a slow and steady process with the freezing, and I dig the very fluffy "rest somewhere warm" aspect of it. I don't know if Numbing Cold has too many triggers (Hit by, being hit, and Freezing Aura)... but I decided to reduce the reactionary cold damage to 3 (1d6) to keep it in-line with the Aura. I also widened the frozen area of water it generates to 10 ft. to keep it sized with the Aura, as well. Decided to add it to the Stat Block.

All-in-all I'm very pleased with how it sounds and looks on paper, but without seeing it in-play I can't tell if it's within the same CR.

This also makes me very interested in creating the other missing Paraelementals... new project for me, perhaps? Haha.
Happy to help. This beast looks like a lot of fun and would make for a great cinematic boss battle.
I'm definitely going to steal it for when my party finally reaches some colder climes.

Varden_Khol wrote:I'm definitely going to steal it for when my party finally reaches some colder climes.

Thanks for the support! And I'd love to hear how the fight goes when they finally get there.
grin.gif

Remove ads