WarCraft Trailer

Played some Warcraft back in the day, but I've never been a fan of WoW. The trailer definitely has potential, but it's hard to tell whether this will be the movie that breaks the "movies based on videogames are terrible" curse. If so, we could see a bunch of great properties come to light.

That being said, I think the best description of the trailer I've read is "it looks good, but it doesn't look real." Seeing some of the impressive cosplay from Blizzcon, it seems a shame that they went the all-CGI route for the orcs.

Joker

First Post
Pardon the cynicism, but it just looks like you're average run-of-the-mill summer action flick. Probably enjoyable but easily forgettable. I was hoping for something a bit more epic.

That said, I should reserve judgement of course. It's just that movies that take so long to make usually end up messy, like the latest Fantastic Four.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
The original RTS game that started the franchise is entitled "Warcraft: Orcs Vs. Humans". The movie will undoubtedly reference this far more than World of Warcraft.

Because it's an established franchise AND a video game besides, the story can't have too complex or lore-ridden plot; the 'barrier of entry' has to be low, and the lowest barrier is your non-gamer type who's going to be dragged along with their kids.

Avatar wasn't terribly complex but had that shiny new 3-D technology to bolster its (arguably) lackluster story. The CGI of the Orc actors is phenomenal... but still won't be enough to get non-gamers to watch it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Because it's an established franchise AND a video game besides, the story can't have too complex or lore-ridden plot; the 'barrier of entry' has to be low, and the lowest barrier is your non-gamer type who's going to be dragged along with their kids.

Avatar wasn't terribly complex but had that shiny new 3-D technology to bolster its (arguably) lackluster story. The CGI of the Orc actors is phenomenal... but still won't be enough to get non-gamers to watch it.

They do have the benefit of LotR/Hobbit and Game of Thrones making Fantasy cool and acceptable. Warcraft is essentially Lord of the Rings and so you might be able to get that audience in to watch too.

Its based on an RTS video game so I don't expect Warcraft to be high art but I am looking towards great visuals and OTT action, a good story would be a bonus

I agree that LotR has a lot to do with the movie being made. Fantasy has often had bad / poor results in movies. LotR and Hobbit changed that. So with the Hobbit being done it is now time to release a WoW movie.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
That costume design does take me back. Looks like they did a good job on it. To capture the style anyhow.

I will remain leery. As previous Video game inspired movies have taught me to be.

Remove ads