Gates of Gehenna - A little OSR-inspired Sword & Sorcery game

Mr.Misfit

First Post
Hello everyone,

my name is Mr.Misfit and I am currently writing an OSR-inspired little Sword and Sorcery game.
In the process of writing this up I found, that one person alone cannot really rest nor critique
such a design only by his own experiences and am therefore turning to all you out there,
the collected experience of the interwebs.

GOG features:

- Brutal and dangerous, yet simple combat system
- Class-less talent/feat system that allows for individualization of character abilities
- Easy mechanics by using simple modifiers and Ad-/Disadvantage system
- Easy but possibly deep opponent system allowing for customization of enemies for the GM
- A dark and dangerous, yet clearly not written up setting that is only hinted at in talents and descriptions (sorry)
- Advanced rules allowing to personalize play experience with different elements like character points or horror elements (again, not yet)

You can find the rules and the character sheet prototype in the attachments to this post =)
I would prefer a link to the google drive-share so that one might comment on the pdf
but ENworld won´t let me :/

Last edited:

Mr.Misfit

First Post
Phew...it´s been quite some time since my last post. I´ve tried to add a base setting at the end of the document as well as trim a lot of fat among the rules text itself.
It´s not a masterpiece, but I do hope it to be a better game than what it previously was. I´ve not yet added new talents, but those will come, just as I will add some more pictures, I promise.
In the meantime, you can find the updated document added to this post.

I any of you wanted to leave a comment, I would be delighted =)

Changes in v0.3:
- Setting added
- Trimmed mechanics text, tried to remove writers style to create concise and readable text
- Weapons were changed to fit era of setting, only general list for now

Attachments

• Gates of Gehenna - Rules.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • Gates of Gehenna - Character Sheet.pdf
    23.1 KB · Views: 130

Mr.Misfit

First Post
Yep, its still alive, rearing its ugly head to come back from whatever state you thought it was in.
The updates from v.03 to v.045 are pretty hefty, from a new dice mechanic, to a completely reworked background setting the game is set in.

View attachment Gates of Gehenna - Character Sheet.pdf
View attachment Gates of Gehenna - Rules A5.pdf

Changelog since 0.3 > 0.45
- Complete Redesign of dice roll mechanics
- Entire Advancement system has been reworked and -designed in tandem with dice roll mechanics, now more Burning-Wheel-Style
- Skills have been expanded
- Combat Styles, combat specific styles have been added
- Aptitude integrated (Dice Size to roll 2d6>2d8>2d10)
- Combat System & Ratings have been fit to new game mechanics
- Currently testing -> Static Initiative
- Completely Reworked Character Sheet
- New Document Size > Now A5
- Expanded Content Overview
- Expanded Game Setting (Pages 69 to 141)
- Clarified several smaller Rules Examples used in Chapter 1
- At Deaths Door table has been weakened, Death Range was extended from 4 to 5, Cruel Bargan is now only on a 6 instead of 5-6
- Talents have been slightly clarified, some talents have been through some "smaller changes"
- 2 new Heritage, 1 new General, 1 new Combat, 2 new Skill, 5 new Occult talents
- 4 new Combat Styles, some old ones have been slightly reworked or reworded
- 2 new special Combat Styles, Possessor and Dominator, for those with occult melee ability/the ability to get others to attack for you
- Several new languages, as per Background expansion (Yorazi, Yzylyn, Monaikol)
- Small Coinage overview, general Income overview has been added
- Unknown Armies optional Horror meters rules added
- Equipment has been slightly expanded (New weapon Axenmusket, Dominated, Possessor)
- Ecstatica, aka. Drugs have been added
- Bestiary has been expanded for overview of common foes
- Setting has been strongly reworked, as follows:
- Hex-Map of Gehenna added
- "The Power Players" chapter has been completely reworked, now "The Powers That Be" with additional images and coat of arms for each power
- New Chapter "Cities of Gehenna", expands upon each greater city of the continent and those of the neighbours
- Human cultures of Gehenna have been expanded (Yorazi, Monachikens, Pythikans)
- Beliefs chapter has been reworked, now "Religion" with complete entry including pictures for each religion, as well as heresies existing and of lesser or non-gehennan beliefs
- New Religions (Zar´Vas, Wildemen Shamanism, Lianism, Cymrig Druidism, Old Faith now Cordiism + Heresies, Atarism, Anryism, Ejeiism)
- Glossary has been massively expanded with words and explanations for setting chapter
- Collected Tables are NOT up to date!
- Index is currently being reworked, has been expanded, will be further expanded

Mr.Misfit

First Post
A bit late, but still at the right time and right place. hey everyone.
I´ve recently finished my current draft of v0.50 of Gates of Gehenna.
I´d really appreciate any comments you guys might have ^^

Rules v0.50
Character Sheet v0.50

Changes:
- Reworked Attributes (From 9 to 6)
- Reworked Talents (Mostly modified to work with new mechanics and changes)
- Reworked the Ambitions mechanic to "Corruption", complete with Track, Flaw, Anchors to embed character background etc.
- Reworked some small background details, extended background in small places
- Reworked Character Advancement
- Added "Anchors" to embed characters in game world, also to drive home point of sliding scale of corruption, finally as hero-points
- Reworked combat and armour and hp. Players now collect "Exhaustion" and armour serves as bonus exhaustion points.
- Reworked Opponent mechanics, further simplified to three-state mechanic and easier construction
- Added "Tension System" as well as some smaller changes
- Took out Example of Play, it needs reworking, very much so. Also WAR-system. That was bad.
- And a lot of small stuff.

Mr.Misfit

First Post
Hey guys, just a heads´up, I´ve brought with me the new v0.53, hot off the presses.
The links below will lead you to everything needed.

Rules v053
Character Sheet
Group Sheet

Changes:
- Refined roll mechanism
- Attributes now Characteristics, more like approach to a task than simple physical descriptor
- Characteristica offer invests for rolls instead of being constantly applied => player ressource
- Reworked game structure and flow of play, inspired by blades in the dark
- All equipment is now assets or traits to throw all that simply wasn´t important
- Added Group rules, gorup sheet, group assets
- Talents are out, traits are in. Traits can be exhausted and refreshed, allow for more dynamic use ;)
- Combat sub-system taken out, everything in players path is now "obstacle" they have to "overcome"
- Corruption now has mechanical underbelly and consequences in mechanical terms next to narrative
- Negative traits added to allow for mechanical consequences to narrative
- Introduction module reworked for new rules and mission play style
- Awesome skeletons courtes of Micah Ulrich, used with artist permission

Remove ads