Breaking the Threefold Components and recombining them for a Total TRPG Corpus

Theoreticians among us developed the Threefold Model (and its offshoots), which proposed that every RPG is composed of, or leans toward, one of three “corners”:

• 1) Drama/Storytelling/Narrative: an RPG session as a novel-like or film-like experience
  • 2) The Game Itself: for example, the elegance/balance/coherence of the rules; what it takes to “win” the game (as seen more obviously in boardgames and CCGs); and metagaming as part of the experience.
  • 3) Simulation: modeling a virtual world (whether it be a “real world” genre or fictional setting)

This was followed by years of flamewars based on whether one of the three is “better” than the other.

My post is not about that. Rather, I am voicing a completely different “threefold” aspect of RPGs. Namely, I propose that every RPG product is made of three things:

• 1) A game system. Whether it be a generic, multi-genre system such as GURPS or Savage Worlds, or a one-product, custom system used in an Indie RPG.
  • 2) A setting. Whether it be a worldbook, a genre (a genre is just a bundle of “setting tropes” without a named world), or an adventure. "Setting" encompasses what is usually referred to in the legalistic sense as an “intellectual property" (IP) or “product identity.”
  • 3) An aesthetic. Both visually and textually/editoriallly/stylistically. Includes the trade dress, graphic design, illustrations, font, and logo; but also the style of writing, to the extent that's a distinct feature of the product line.

Which may not be earth-shattering news. But sometimes it’s good to state the obvious.

Here’s why it matters: if there really were such a thing as an “RPG scientist,” who really wanted to experience and understand what makes RPGs tick, there could hardly be any better exercise than to methodically go through every TRPG ever made, and strip it into its three components: system, setting, and aesthetic...and then recombine them in every possible combination. Doing so would reveal both the core essence and the nuanced details of all three components.

Since RPGs are not strictly physical things (unlike a billiard ball or water molecule), breaking an RPG into its three components would require not only a scientific mind in the narrow sense of the word, but also artistry, imagination, and even *empathy.* Empathy is needed because such a “artistic scientist” would need to practice putting themselves in the shoes of the original designers of each RPG product, so that the designer's way of thinking can be further elaborated; while at the same time, the scientist’s own biases and personal preferences are as transparent and unobtrusive as feasible.

Such a project and path are conceivable.

Since OD&D came out in 1974, there have only been so many TRPGs made. Maybe thousands. But still, only so many. Which means...

...there have only been so many TRPG rules systems published.

...there have only been so many TRPG worldbooks, genre books, and adventures published.

...and there have been only so many TRPG “trade dresses.” Namely, each RPG product line usually has a unified aesthetic.

For our purposes, the first two components (system and setting) are of primary concern. Since professional-quality visual art can be expensive and time-consuming to procure, the visual component could be set aside.

If there were enough “RPG scientists” among us, whose skill and artistic empathy had been honed by practicing this method, and if we had “all the time in the world,” and if we had a public or private platform wherein our scientific findings could be shared with each other (without receiving Cease and Desist Orders from IP lawyers)...then we could take every RPG system ever published, and use it to render every world and adventure ever published.

The goal of our RPG “science project” would be to produce an artistic-scientific product for each of these system-setting combinations, which as closely mimics the original, professional design parameters as humanly feasible. For this project, WE WOULD NOT SEEK TO IMPROVE THE ORIGINAL SYSTEMS...we would include all the quirks. For example, our OD&D project would keep THAC0; the AD&D1e project would keep time “segments”; and the AD&D2e project would keep its demented wrestling rules. Warts and all.

Here’s what I mean. Imagine taking OD&D, as it exists. By thoroughly studying the OD&D game and the historical circumstances surrounding it (e.g. Gygax’s comments on how he designed the game, etc.), we work ourselves as best as possible into Gygax’s way of thinking. And then, we ask the question: if destiny had somehow “impelled” TSR and WotC to stick with the OD&D system all the way to the present day, and to use it to render all the subsequent D&D worlds using only the OD&D system as written...with the strict caveat that each product must be 100% compatible system-wise with OD&D...what would be the result?

What would an OD&D Dragonlance, OD&D Forgotten Realms, and OD&D Eberron look like? What would all the 5E adventures look like if they had to use only OD&D rules?

Furthermore, what would every other TRPG setting and adventure look like in OD&D rules? Not only the close-to-D&D settings, such as Golarion and other d20 OGL fantasy settings such as Freeport...but also all other genres...sci-fi...modern...supers...everything: Star Wars...DC Universe...Middle-earth...Official Traveller Universe...World of Darkness...Call of Cthulhu...the Sixth World of Shadowrun...Pokemon Jr....Numenera...The Burning Wheel...World of Synnibarr...Dogs in the Vineyard...everything. It’s all OD&D. In this scientific exercise, it’s as if OD&D is the only RPG that was ever made.

Think about how many IPs have been rendered using the Monopoly rules or other Boardgame systems, or using Collectible Card Game systems (which are an even more "abstract", "meta-gamist" lense than OD&D). If those systems can be used to model fictive worlds, then it is likewise possible to conceive what an OD&D "gamist" rendering of any IP would look like.

I guarantee that the process of meshing all settings with OD&D would be revealing...not only about the systemic subtleties and potentialities within the OD&D system...but also about what is essential to each fictional setting. By the end, the scientist, or team of scientists, would be pretty insightful in these regards.

The RPG scientists would need to develop an overall, consistent policy in regard to how much a system can be modified with bolt-on rules and subsystems to represent other genres (e.g. new classes, new PC races, new magic systems, superhero power systems)...and still be considered to be 100% mechanically compatible. Basically, there would be bolt-on subsystems for each genre or world, coupled with guidelines for how to run cross-world adventures, with the "home genre" taking precedence. (Consider the Star Trek/X-Men cross-over comic...its "home setting" is the Star Trek Universe, and so a TRPG version of this story would keep the scifi subsystems even though a few superhero PCs or NPCs visited.) No matter what genre subsystems were in play, it would still need to be possible for a character from any other genre to cross over and be played on the same game table, using the same rules system.

After we had mastered OD&D, we would go on to the next RPG. Say, Tunnels & Trolls. It wouldn’t have to be done in strict chronological order, but the aim would be to cover every RPG system ever made.

Granted, it would take years and years. It would require almost religious devotion...a cadre of TRPG monks, mystics, and wayfarers. Given the legal landscape, our scientific-artistic research would need to either be presented in a way that didn’t threaten the IP holders, or would need to be shared only privately.

But either way, we would become TRPG masters.

We would have a Total RPG Corpus composed of all TRPG worlds ever published, available in every TRPG system ever published. An Omni-statted TRPG Omniverse.

For a glimpse of the magnitude of the TRPG Omniverse, see my (complete?) list of all the IPs from other media which have ever been rendered in a TRPG format.

https://sites.google.com/site/dndphilmont/ttrpgsettings

There’s 180+. Did I miss any?

Now imagine taking every single rules system which is represented in that list, and making a full conversion of all 180-some settings into each of those rules-sets. Of course there are somewhat fewer systems than settings, since some systems (such as GURPS) have been used to depict several licensed IPs.

The same would be done for the hundreds or thousands of other TRPG settings and systems.

An adventure worthy of the TRPG way of life.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Theoreticians among us developed the Threefold Model (and its offshoots), which proposed that every RPG is composed of, or leans toward, one of three “corners”

Theory without empirical support is not a good basis for practical application.

Here’s why it matters: if there really were such a thing as an “RPG scientist,” who really wanted to experience and understand what makes RPGs tick, there could hardly be any better exercise than to methodically go through every TRPG ever made, and strip it into its three components: system, setting, and aesthetic...and then recombine them in every possible combination. Doing so would reveal both the core essence and the nuanced details of all three components.

Eh. Your three components are not independent - this is best seen in "setting" and "aesthetic", which are by no means easily separable.

Moreoever, there are likely far better exercises they could take on. For example, engaging in an improved version of the 1999 WotC market research and another proper segmentation study would probably give us far more useful information on what drives games than analysis along an arbitrarily chosen triad.

Hi Umbran, thanks for the reply.

Theory without empirical support is not a good basis for practical application.

Agreed. Good thing my post isn't about that! :)

The whole Threefold Component concept is there as a foundation for a concrete/practical project, at least potentially: mastering and inter-converting all the TRPG systems and settings ever made. The Omni-Statted, Omniversal, Inter-Converted, Total TRPG Corpus! :D

Your three components are not independent - this is best seen in "setting" and "aesthetic", which are by no means easily separable.

The visual aesthetic is very easily separable. The bare black-and-white text of each TRPG book, before it received any graphic design, specific font, or illustrations, is System+Setting without Aesthetic. Separated. Voila!

Agreed though, that literary/textual aesthetic is not as easily separable from the setting. Yet that exercise is not within the main purpose of the Total TRPG Corpus vision.

Moreoever, there are likely far better exercises they could take on.

I would say that there are any number of exercises that one could take on. Whether they are "better", depends on one's goal and purpose.

For example, engaging in an improved version of the 1999 WotC market research and another proper segmentation study would probably give us far more useful information on what drives games than analysis along an arbitrarily chosen triad.

Market research would give us useful information about what games are popular, and what segments of the population play which kind of TRPG. Yes, that is one important field of knowledge. I'm grateful for Morrus' scientific research methods, where he's developed various ways of measuring what's hot. I've been meaning to complement him for that.

But if one's goal is to sink one's teeth into each and every TRPG in a systematic way, the ultimate picture is to inter-convert all TRPG systems and all TRPG settings. To make these conversions mimic the quality of the original, professional publications, would require both scientific/technical and artistic/imaginal/empathic skill.

The Aesthetic Component

So if inter-converting all the Systems + Settings is the main goal of the Total TRPG Corpus, then what role does the Aesthetic component play?

1) Though a plain black-and-white text of each conversion is the basic goal, we would at least use the original font, where available.

2) Ideally though, we would produce fully illustrated books which fully mimicked their source. In many cases, we would just be plugging in the stat blocks of a different system into the existing book. For example, our various restatted versions of Rage of Demons (OD&D, BECMI D&D, 1E, 2E, 3E, 4E, PFRPG, T&T, GURPS, HERO, Rolemaster, FATE, Savage Worlds, F-AGE, Chronicle, Cypher, etc) could just use the existing art and graphic design from the Rage of Demons book as-is, with the new stat-blocks plugged in.

3) The very ultimate goal would be for our team of scientific artists to learn how to mimic the style of each of the TRPG artists...from Erol Otus to Larry Elmore and Jeff Easley to Todd Lockwood and Wayne Reynolds, and thousands more...so that we could draw or paint anything we wanted, in a style which is passably reminiscent of each Aesthetic. Elmore has offered classes in the past. I wish all these artists offered a formal apprenticeship, so that we had a whole "guild" full of artistic proteges who could pass on these specific TRPG artistic lineages.

Those are ways in which the Aesthetic Component fits into the Omni-Statted, Omniversal, Total TRPG Corpus.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Agreed. Good thing my post isn't about that! :)

But, it seems like it is - you have broken down these three things that you feel is important - "I feel these are the important aspects," is not an empirical basis.

The visual aesthetic is very easily separable.

I have doubts that it is a particularly important aspect of the whole, though, given how many would prefer to not refer to the books in the course of play. The visual aesthetic is not very relevant when the book is closed.

I would say that there are any number of exercises that one could take on. Whether they are "better", depends on one's goal and purpose.

Then why did you say, "if there really were such a thing as an “RPG scientist,” who really wanted to experience and understand what makes RPGs tick, there could hardly be any better exercise..."?

And, again, I submit that if one wants to understand what makes RPGs tick, taking apart games without reference to the players is not going to gain you much. It is the *players* that make a game tick. What you suggest would be like learning how to write by analyzing a lot of books, without regard to what people *thought* about the books, without regard to how well the books communicated or entertained people.

Take it all apart, and rearrange in all combinations does not tell you what *works*. The result being that much of the project becomes busy-work that produces things nobody would want.

Market research would give us useful information about what games are popular, and what segments of the population play which kind of TRPG.

As demonstrated in the link I posted, it can give you much, much more information than that. It can give you practical, real-world definitions of player types, and information on why players engage with games, and what they get out of them. It can give you information on what makes a game *successful*, and what makes a game good in the eyes of its players, or bad in the eyes of its detractors. This is the real information about what makes RPGs tick, as it is information about the action of play.

But if one's goal is to sink one's teeth into each and every TRPG in a systematic way

Now, your goal is also your methodology, which is circular. An "RPG scientist" would say you are assuming the conclusion.

But, it seems like it is - you have broken down these three things that you feel is important - "I feel these are the important aspects," is not an empirical basis.

"Empirical" means "related to experience or experiments." I admit I haven't conducted experiments as to whether my proposition that a TRPG *product* (as a single book or product line) consists of three components: 1) rules system, 2) setting, and 3) aesthetic (visual presentation). Yet isn't that a self-evident experience? Aren't I stating the obvious?

I suppose someone could wrangle and argue that RPG products consist of length, height, width, weight, colors, paper, glue, molecules, and atoms...but that is not a meaningful breakdown.

I am using the word "scientific" in the wider sense of being "systematic", "thorough", and "finely tuned". Not in the most narrow sense of "peer-reviewed publications in an academic journal, using double-blind controls." Some of the scientific examples you gave aren't "scientific" in that sense either.

I have doubts that it is a particularly important aspect of the whole, though, given how many would prefer to not refer to the books in the course of play. The visual aesthetic is not very relevant when the book is closed.

The visual aesthetic may not be particularly important for the in-game play experience. Yet the aesthetic is very relevant to the actual RPG book/product...the "thing." The Aesthetic/Trade Dress is a salient component of that.

The primary purpose of this "experience/experiment/project" isn't about analyzing the soul (the likes and dislikes) of gamers. It's not about a customer survey or customer profiling. It's about perceiving and mastering, in a methodical way, whatever is essential to each TRPG system and setting. A byproduct of that is a Total TRPG Corpus series of texts.

Then why did you say, "if there really were such a thing as an “RPG scientist,” who really wanted to experience and understand what makes RPGs tick, there could hardly be any better exercise..."?

Okay, I overstated that. You're right. It sounded like I was discounting all other scientific approaches to RPGs (ENWorld's studies, WotC's marketing study, the various academic papers which have been written about RPGs). It would be better to say:

"If there really were a cadre of persons who desired to have a thorough experience of how all TRPG settings would be rendered via all TRPG systems, then isn't it self-evident that the ultimate picture would be to methodically go through every TRPG ever made, and strip out the aesthetic component...and then recombine all of the systems and settings in every possible combination?"

Your feedback helped affirm that recombining the Aesthetic components of different settings is not a primary purpose of this proposed experience. (It wouldn't be so interesting to put Star Wars trade dress on the D&D Players Handbook, for example.)

And, again, I submit that if one wants to understand what makes RPGs tick, taking apart games without reference to the players is not going to gain you much. It is the *players* that make a game tick. What you suggest would be like learning how to write by analyzing a lot of books, without regard to what people *thought* about the books, without regard to how well the books communicated or entertained people.

Such a project wouldn't just be about analysis ("breaking down"). Analysis would also be followed by *synthesis* (putting back together). The breaking down into the three components would always be paired with resynthesizing and recombining...with a clear, concrete fruit in mind: producing a professional quality text that mimics exactly what each world/setting would look like if it were to have been "officially" licensed to be rendered in each rules set.

Yet I partly agree with you. This Total TRPG Corpus would only be Phase One.

Phase Two would be to take the fruits of this experience, and then write an archetypal TRPG (or a suite of TRPGs) which is meant to be the most fun and satisfying TRPG "ever made." For Phase Two, the likes and dislikes of player experience (including ourselves) would now come into play. For example, even if some aspects of OD&D were to be incorporated into our new system, we would, of course, ditch THAC0.

In my (admittedly uber-completist) view, to focus only on player satisfaction without having developed a conscious path and goal in regard to system-and setting-mastery, is one-sided and incomplete.

The analogy is not perfect...but it'd be something like trying to reach the World Series by commissioning academic studies as to what baseball fans like and dislike about baseball games. Granted, such studies could contain much useful information, but without developing a team of persons who had methodically mastered the on-the-field "baseball game system", the team would not reach the goal.

Take it all apart, and rearrange in all combinations does not tell you what *works*.

There would be at least three fruits from the experience:

1) There would now exist a professional quality Omni-Statted, Omniversal Total RPG Corpus, where "all" (or many) TRPG worlds and adventures are rendered in "all" (or many) TRPG systems. We'd have not only an "all system" conversion guide (which would be an awesome thing in itself...think Peter Atkinson's Envoy metasystem, but to the nth degree)...but we'd also have fully-converted texts. That is a concrete, practical fruit. (Though due to legal constraints, this might have to be an largely private corpus for the time being.)
2) The person or persons who had enacted this would have developed a certain mastery in this regard. Their conceptions, perceptions, and artistic-technical skill would be honed.
3) There would be a social/community-building aspect to traversing this experience as well.

The result being that much of the project becomes busy-work that produces things nobody would want.

If such an endeavor were to actually embark on the path of an all-system/all-setting conversion, there could be prioritization, so as to minimize busy-work. We could cover the key systems and settings first: the largest currently active TRPGs (e.g. the ones on ENWorld's "what's hot" lists), along with some less-popular, but representative, "gems" from the OSR and Indie RPG world.

As demonstrated in the link I posted, it can give you much, much more information than that.

Yes, it's a cool article and diagram, which could be useful in Phase Two. I dig Ryan Dancey's contributions.

Now, your goal is also your methodology, which is circular.

C'mon Umbran...science is about questions. My questions are:

QUESTION ONE: "If ordinary practicalities were not a hindrance, what is the ultimate expression of TRPG system+setting conversion and localization?"
QUESTION TWO: "What components need to be separated (analyzed) and recombined (synthesized) in order to realize that ultimate expression?"
QUESTION THREE: "What is essential to each TRPG setting, and what is essential to each TRPG system?"

Granted, conventional academic journals do not care about those questions. But they're my questions. And "scientia" (in the widest sense of the word) is a tool for answering questions...what other way of knowing is there?

I admit I put the cart before the horse by not sharing in my OP the background for how I came to the Threefold Components (the answer to my Question Two), which I needed in order to answer to my first question.

Question Three can only be realized by a hands-on, experiential path.

Your reply helped me express this more articulately.

An "RPG scientist" would say you are assuming the conclusion.

I'm not talking about some academic experiment conducted in a vacuum. I'm using "science" in a wider sense of "methodological thoroughness", and in a specific sense as it relates to this project: "a finely-tuned honing of one's perception of what is essential to each system and setting." If my using the word "scientist" is irksome--fine, I could use some other word. Yet no one has a monopoly on the word "scientist." :)

Science is always about human perception and human experience.

A bit of biographical background...my main D&D world was Mystara, and it always intrigued me how Mystara would be depicted via its two rule sets: Classic D&D and AD&D 2E. In the CD&D system, a famous NPC would be Thief or a Fighter...while in the 2E the same NPC is a Bard or Ranger! I really enjoyed trying to discern how the rules systems served as two different lenses for the same world. That is where I developed my special interest in the questions: What is essential to the system, and what is essential to the setting?

That this question has some relevance to the wider world is evident in the ongoing production of "localized" versions of settings, such as Freeport's conversion from its original 3.0E, into Pathfinder, FATE, Savage Worlds, and Fantasy AGE.

I'm just taking the question and magnifying it to its ultimate conclusion...all systems + all settings.

Last edited:

Sounds rules-heavy.

It would only be as rules heavy (or lite) as each of the hundreds of existing RPG systems are heavy or lite.

Savage Worlds Golarion would be rules lite.
GURPS Golarion would be rules heavy.

BECMI D&D Star Wars Universe would be rules lite.
Rolemaster Star Wars Universe would be rules heavy.

FATE Accelerated Dragonlance would be rules lite.
HERO System Dragonlance would be rules heavy.

and so forth...

It's a simple matrix of All RPG Systems + All RPG settings.

And I'd personally reduce games to their rules and theme. Setting would just be an extension of the theme.

"Theme" (a.k.a. genre) is an abstracted setting. Besides the actual Setting IPs, all existing "Genre/Theme Settings" which have ever been covered by a TRPG would be included in the matrix.

For example, all of the GURPS genre-books would be converted to all TRPG systems.

Remove ads