Pathfinder 1E Masterwork: Reforged

Sarac

First Post
So, unless I have read the rules wrong, you can only enchant items that are of masterwork quality and weapons can only become Masterwork when they are forged for the first time. This is an okay mechanic but it brings some problems, especially to a player like me.

I put a scary amount of time and emotion into my characters. I build elaborate backstories to them, why they're doing what they do, where they came from, what they're looking for and a lot of times, there weapons and armor are a part of that, not something I can just throw away.

For example, my current character is a Magus who uses a bastard sword as his weapon. It was forged by Elves, given to him by his lost love, his link between what he was and what he can be... but what? I have to throw it away for the first +1 Bastard Sword that shows up in a loot table? F*ck that!

My proposal is this. So long as you can pay the masterwork cost, and have access to a smith with enough skill, you should be able to get your blade sharpened and re-balanced and stuff to give it the masterwork quality. Your thoughts?

GlassEye

Adventurer
I don't see a problem with it. There is, after all, a spell that does essentially the same thing. Whether a spell or a smith the effect and cost is the same, everything else is a matter of fluff.

N'raac

First Post
I don't see a game balance issue allowing existing items to be Masterworked.

But he's going to entrust his blade, forged by Elves, given to him by his lost love, his link between what he was and what he can be... to some Smith? It seems like the spell drawing out its inner qualities would be a much better choice than allowing some Smith to scrape bits off and hack it up

Sarac

First Post
But he's going to entrust his blade, forged by Elves, given to him by his lost love, his link between what he was and what he can be... to some Smith? It seems like the spell drawing out its inner qualities would be a much better choice than allowing some Smith to scrape bits off and hack it up

That is actually a very good point... I like that.

*makes note*

Koloth

First Post
In most universes, Forged by Elves IS masterwork even if it isn't specifically listed in an item's description. Sounds like your character needs to take the Master Craftsman feat and as many ranks in Craft Weapon (sword) as possible in order to keep improving that weapon as he/she increases in level. No trusting that weapon to some random smith!

From a meta game point, masterwork seems a way to allow low levels to have a limited +1 item without the expense and balance issues of magic. In your case, if your GM insists on checking the masterwork box, just add the masterwork cost to the first enchantment cost of making your sword +1. Thereafter, you can improve the sword as normal. And don't forget, that masterwork quality is very useful inside an anti-magic area.

Wolf72

Explorer
Your backstory seems to indicate it was a MW already. Starting off with a MW is not that game breaking. It seems fair to let you start with one.

If your DM won't let you have the MW weapon, is this one worth more? It may not be MW, but is it a piece of art or jeweled or engraved with extremely rare materials.

Drawing out the emotional power attachment to the weapon through magic is a very good answer btw.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I do not know if it has been mentioned, but if traits are used, there is a trait that is called 'rich parents' or something like that. It gives you a starting cash of 900 gp - enough to get a MW weapon

Remove ads