[LPF] Into the Wilds Part 1

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The Captain is able to get you the sketched map after you are refreshed in the morning. It shows the major road which you came up leading into Wildsgate. A river heads out from Wildsgate and into the frontier lands, passing forests up until you reach a series of pikes and natural spires. Keeping on the right side of the River Bed eventually takes you into the parts of the Spires where it is written such joyous scrawls such as 'Dead Clans' and 'Flesh Eaters'. If you stay to the west side of the river, however, you eventually will encounter the patch of mountainous area that reads 'Goblins'. You suppose that is your destination, and that it is roughly three days hike away.

It is said their territory is connected by rope bridges connecting various cave entrances and wide cliff ledges. Not an easy place to traverse, but easy enough to defend when you grab a toehold. The cavalry force of Captain Argun would be useless out there.

sunshadow21

Explorer
Brog has no money to shop with and little to do to prepare, so he waits for the others to be ready to go quietly, sharpening his axe as he does so.

Sezarious

Explorer
[sblock=OOC-Lady Aborn]Sorry Deuce Traveler, I don't want to slow things down, but I was hoping we may have been able to speak with Lady Aborn and maybe see if I could somehow acquire money for a scroll and possibly acquire the scroll of magic weapon before we leave? OR if I can get the 25gp for the expense of learning a new spell, I think I learn it from Maenors spell-book if he's happy with that.

Also, can I please just check, do I need DM acknowledgement for when I've learnt a new spell? Just wanted confirmation on whether I learnt break. If not, I can just sell both it and burning hands for half $ then I'll be able to buy the expenses for learning magic weapon from Maenors book.

I don't want to slow the pace down too much, I just want to make sure we don't miss anything, especially a plot hook with a Noble. Regar would have tried seeking an audience that evening otherwise, or in the morning, with other companions who are better at talking[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
OOC: At this point your party is not notable enough to meet with any of the nobility, but yes you can feel free to make equipment purchases or spell preparations before my next update.

Radaceus

Adventurer
[section]
Snorri, not having much money of his own, enjoys a few ales with Brog, and excuses himself. He makes his way to the Hammer and Anvil Smithy and introduces himself to Master Bolo, mentioning Skorfell and his quest for his own vein to mine. He offers Bolo his services for the remainder of the day in hopes he might learn something useful from the master smith. [/section]

[sblock=OOC] to keep things moving:
Courses of action-
  • Snorri will pry Bolo for any information regarding mines, and goblins hereabouts [roll0]
  • If Bolo accepts/allows Snorri's help, he works fastidiously, eager to learn
  • If Bolo has no need of assistance, Snorri will circumnavigate the perimeter of Wildsgate and wander back to the Mug & Blade
  • In any event he retires to the Fallen Star Inn come evening[/sblock]

[sblock='Mini-Stat Block']
Snorri Ironaxe Stonelord (paladin) 1st level
Initiative: +1 Perception: +2
Darkvision 60 ft.
Speed: 20'

AC: 18 (touch 11; flat-footed 17) HP: 12/ 12<<currently shieldless (16)
CMB: +3 CMD: 14
Fort: +4 Ref: +1 Will: +3

Hatred: Dwarves gain a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against humanoid creatures of the orc and goblinoid subtypes because of their special training against these hated foes

In Hand:
Off Hand:

Conditions: None yet
[/sblock]

MerryMortician

Explorer
Caius Aurelius, Soldier of Amenthia

As Caius strode through the checkpoint at Wildsgate, a soldier there caught sight of the mess kit neatly corded to the bottom of the paladin's framed pack.

"Oi!" called the guard. "Yer from Tritower, int'cha? Cousin o' mine did some time ou' dere. Ya know a Squire Patsy? Reed of a feller an' a right maid's face, but sturdy."

"No," came the basso response. "But it's been some years since my time there. You've a good eye. Tell me, what all've you seen from your post?"

~~~

About an hour later, Caius emerged from Hammer and Anvil. He hunched very slightly, compensating for the poorly distributed weight in his "new" used backpack. Really more of a cracked leather bladder...Shouldn't have drank so much in Venza. Maybe then I'd have been able to pony the coin. The replacement bag held much the same contents as the higher quality bag he'd traded in; the transaction was necessary in order to acquire the unadorned shortbow in his off hand.

~~~

Standing among his companions again in the morning, Caius looks over some of their shoulders and heads to examine the map. "Rope bridges and switchbacks, eh? I've some good rope. Anyone else? It wouldn't hurt to have some pitons or a grapnel as well. Never know when we might find ourselves wishin' we'd planned better."

[sblock=OOC]Ok, there's a mediocre update to at least get back into the action. The past 9 days have been wildly busy with break-in aftermath and my anniversary.

DT, I'm rolling Diplomacy in case it makes a difference but I get the impression there's not really any more information to be gathered here. I just thought Caius stopping to talk to the everyman soldier fit his character and also explained my absence IC fairly well.
Gather Information from Wildsgate sentry: 1D20+9 = [6]+9 = 15

Here's my intended shopping list. I'll put it in the Mystic Pearl after I hear from you about the thistle arrows. Do I need to roll availability? Is there any chance they're there? I'd like to re-skin them as frog crotch arrows.
MWK backpack +50gp
Heavy flail +15gp
Shortbow -30gp
Arrows, common -1gp
Arrows, thistle (5) -5gp
Total +29gp[/sblock]

[sblock=Caius's Mini Stats]Caius Aurelius
HP: 11/11
AC: 16 FF: 15 T: 11
CMB: +4 CMD: 15
Fort: +3 Reflex: +1 Will: +2
Resistances: Acid (5), Cold (5), Electricity (5)
Perception: +7 S. Motive: +4
Initiative: +1
Conditions in Effect: ---
Weapon in Hand: Scythe
Daylight (Sp): 1/1 remaining
Smite: 1/1 remaining
Consumables: ---
[/sblock]

Sezarious

Explorer
Stressing and pacing left and right that evening, finally, Regar had a lightbulb moment! He couldn't get his hands on a scroll yet and he couldn't yet learn a new one, but he COULD borrow Maenors book to memorise the spell for the day! Though he wouldn't need it immediately, Regar realised he now had the means! With that, he decided to not worry about it for a little while, so he sat to learn the last spell he had a scroll of, 'Burning Hands'. He cast read magic to automatically read it. "Now let's see, standard evocation principle initially, open a connection to the fire plane, Omega connects to the primary bypass at .5 resistance, that creates a stable flow.... No, wait, I need it dispersed evenly through a 30 to 45 degree spread... I need to divide resistance evenly through 5 to 7 separate channels. Resistance of about .1 for each, should provide a stable constant. I suppose there's only one way to find out...". With that, it was time for him to attempt to learn the spell [sblock=Spellcraft -Burning Hands]1d20+9[/sblock]

Sezarious

Explorer
[Sblock=Burning Hands]Sorry, I forgot to put the roll brackets in [roll0][/Sblock].

"Oh Regar, you are a pure genius, pure genius you fabulous wizard, why were you never an evoker?" A memory appears in the back of his mind. Regar was in a classroom that was lit on fire. He was squealing in terror as he was rolling around on the ground, trying to put out the flames. Gnomish wizards
Buckkera and Jopanda were running in with buckets of water,
"You suck Regar!" Yelled one of them "Yeah, you're hopeless you idiot, why don't you just go home". Each of them snickered as they put out the final flames in the room. "Would you guys help me, ahhhh!" he cried as the flames spread to his hat. "What a loser", sneered Buckkera as he laughed and left the room, "Yeah, why don't you conjure up a water elemental to put yourself out you smartass" yelled the other as he left the room. Well, after quickly getting out of his robes, Regar WAS ok. But he had to run back through the dorms naked at the end of it. If the laughter from the other wizards wasn't bad enough, he was also chased by summoned birds and flying familiars playing the "Get the worm" game.

Regar paused a moment for the memory to replay itself in his mind, before looking at his new spell and smiling, he whispered to himself "
Absolute genius". With that, he went to bed, tucking spike into his makeshift bed and kissing him goodnight, before laying back looking up at the ceiling, looking forward to the next day.

With great enthusiasm, he awoke the next day, memorising his spells, he kept the same orisons, however exchanged 'summon minor monster' for 'feather fall' and 'Protection from Evil' for another Summon Monster I spell.

Grinning, he went again to Maenor.
"Maenor, would you mind if when the time comes I memorise 'Magic Weapon' from your book please? If I do the hard work now with your assistance, I can do without the need to decipher it when the time comes? May I do so as or before we leave?" With a smile, he awaits his response.

[sblock=Ministats]
Regar Lilothian - Level 1 Elven Wizard (Conjurer)
Alignment: NG
Languages: Common (Venzan), Elven, Gnoll, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan, Draconic (Class), Terran (Linguistics), Deltan (Free (Campaign related))
HP: 7 = [1d6 + CON (0) + FC (1)] (Wizard 1)
AC: 14 = [10 + DEX (4) + Armor (0) + Shield (0) + Natural (0) + Size (0) + Misc (0)]
Touch: 14
Flatfooted: 10
INIT: +8 = [DEX (4) + Misc (+4 Familiar)]
CMB: -1 = [BAB (0) + STR (-1) + Misc (0)]
CMD: 13 = [10 + BAB (0) + STR (-1) + DEX (4) + Misc (0)]
Fortitude: +0 = [Wizard 1 (0) + CON (0) + Misc (0)]
Reflex: +4 = [Wizard 1 (0) + DEX (4) + Misc (0)]
Will: +0 = [Wizard 1 (2) + WIS (-2) + Misc (0)]
Speed: 30'

• Acid Splash +4 (1d3+1 (Acid Flask as focus))
Attack: +4 = [BAB (0) + Ability (4), 25ft Crit: 20/x2, Special: Acid damage
• Acid Dart +4 (1d6)
Attack: +4 = [BAB (0) + Ability (4), 30ft Crit: 20/x2, Special: Acid damage
• Quarterstaff -1 (1d6-1)
Attack: -1 = [BAB (0) + Ability (-1), Crit 20/x2, Bludgeoning

Weapon Proficiencies: Longbow, longsword, rapier, short bow, club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff

[sblock=Familiar: Greensting scorpion (Spike)]

Greensting Scorpion CR 1/4
XP 100
N Tiny vermin
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +4
Defense
AC 18, touch 15, flat-footed 15 (+3 Dex, +3 natural, +2 size)
hp 4 (1d8)
Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +0
Immune mind-affecting effects
Offense
Speed 30 ft.
Melee sting +5 (1d2–4 plus poison)
Space 2-1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks poison
Statistics
Str 3, Dex 16, Con 10, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 2
Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 7 (19 vs. trip)
Feats Weapon FinesseB
Skills Climb +7, Perception +4, Stealth +15; Racial Modifiers +4 Climb, +4 Perception, +4 Stealth
Ecology
Environment warm or temperate deserts, forests, plains, or underground
Organization solitary or colony (3–6)
Treasure none
Special Abilities
Poison (Ex) Sting—injury; save Fort DC 10; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect sickened for 1 round; cure 1 save.
Greensting scorpions normally live in forests, but can be found almost anywhere. Their pincers are too small to be dangerous to anything but other insects, but they have a poisonous sting that sickens even larger creatures.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Class and Racial Features, Feats and Traits]
Low-Light Vision: Can see twice as far in dim-light conditions
Elven Immunities
Elven Magic

Arcane school: Conjuration - Summoner's charm - Whenever you cast a conjuration (Summoning) spell, increase the duration by a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your wizard level (Minimum 1)
Acid dart: Standard action - any foe within 30ft ranged touch attack - 1d6 8/day

Spell focus: Conjuration (Class feature): +1 to Conjuration spell DC
Spell Specialization:Summon monster I (1st Level): Treat the spell as if cast 2 levels higher (Effectively gives 2 extra rounds to the duration of the spell)
Alertness (Familiar): +2 to sense motive and perception with your familiar on you

Capable (Skill): Become proficient in 1 skill and get +1 (Escape Artist)
Two world magic (Magic):Learn one extra cantrip from any list
[/sblock]

[sblock=Skills]
Escape Artist 9
Knowledge (Arcana) 9
Knowledge (Nature) 9
Knowledge (Planes) 9
Knowledge (Religion) 9
Linguistics 9
Spellcraft 9
[/sblock]

[sblock=Spells]
Spells Known:
0 Level: All wizard cantrips plus purify food/drink, minus restricted schools
1st Level: Colour spray, Feather fall, Grease, Mage armor, Mount, Obscuring mist, Protection from evil, Summon monster I
Learnt from scrolls: -Summon Minor Monster, break, burning hands

Spells Prepared (Ready):
0 Level: Read Magic, Detect magic, Acid splash
1st Level: Summon Monster I (Favored school), Mage Armor, Summon Monster I, Feather fall

Spells Expended:
1st level:
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

ealt

Explorer
Maenor Thandgur

[section]

Groggily walking through the inn's common room Maenor gets a mildly perturbed look on his face when he is accosted by Regar. "Calm yourself, boy. Is it common place now to make demands of someone before they've had a chance to get up and awake?" He grins to himself, "Still, I can't fault your enthusiasm. I'm sure we have much that we could learn from each other. So to answer your question: yes. With the condition that you teach me a few things as well. But for now, I need to practice my forms." He leaves Regar in the common room and proceeds outside, where he begins to practice various elegant stances with his oddly curved short sword.
[/section]

[sblock=Sezarious]
Yeah, we can trade spells at some point. I don't know if we have time now, but if there is, Maenor can teach Regar Magic Weapon. I looked at Regar's spell list and there are a few spells Maenor wouldn't mind knowing, but there's no pressing time concerns there.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Maenor Thandgur Mini-Stats]Maenor Thandgur
AC: 15 (11 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 10/10
CMB: +0
CMD: 14

Fort: +3
Reflex: +3
Will: +3

Knowledge (Arcana): +7
Knowledge (History): +8
Perception: +2