D&D 5E War of the Burning Sky (5E)

SuperZero

First Post
This is a 5E conversion of the War of the Burning Sky adventure path.

leska.jpg

You can find the campaign's Player Guide here. We're using the 3.5 version, so check that version of the Player Guide--but since we're converting the campaign into a different edition you can ignore any rules material.
If you have any setting questions, feel free to ask--and you can of course feel free to create your own details, like the existence of towns and things.

[sblock=Intro]As the new year opens, the weather takes a sudden chill turn, and the sky darkens as the grip of winter intensifies. Tensions rise as regular channels of communication between nations go silent like a candle suddenly snuffed. Slowly, throughout the lands claimed by the Ragesian Empire, rumors spread between isolated villages, traveling by foot and horse and word of mouth--rumors that Drakus Coaltonge, the immoral emperor whose armies conquered every land he set his gaze upon, has fallen in a distant land to the east.

How the tyrant was defeated is unknown, but if it is true, everyone knows that war is imminent. The generals of Emperor Coaltongue will strike fro control, oppressed peoples will rise up in rebellion, and dangers once held in check only by fear of the mighty warlord will bring doom to the world.

Those in power are preparing for the coming conflict, readying fervent armies and powerful weapons and subtle, deceptive plots, but two questions burn in their minds: Who killed the seemingly-immortal Emperor Coaltongue; and what has become of the artifact that would let a man rule the world?
Who has the Torch of the Burning Sky?

While once news reached the Free City-state of Gate Pass by weekly teleporting courier, that channel has gone silent, and now news travels by the old routes of rumor--travelers from the outside world. You might be one of those travelers, or a concerned native of the city, but you have heard the rumors.

Emperor Drakus Coaltongue, ruler of the mighty Ragesian Empire which lies to the west of Gate Pass, has been slain in a distant nation--or so the rumors say. Of course, the rumors once said that Coaltongue was immortal. However, no one doubts the tales of armies mustering in Ragesia, with orders to secure the borders of the empire at this time of weakness and uncertainty. And from the Shining Lands of Shahalesti, the elvish nation east of Gate Pass, the rumors say its ruler seeks to claim the vulnerable Ragesia for his people.

Gate Pass sits alone in its mountain pass, one of the few safe routes between these two nations--Ragesia and Shahalesti. For weeks people have been saying war would come to Gate Pass, and now the rumors are true.

In
War of the Burning Sky, you will have the chance to fight in a war of mythic proportions, and determine the fate of many nations in its aftermath. Ever-escalating conflicts, powered by mighty magic and fervent faith, threaten your freedom and lives, and even the world itself.

Driven by the dogs of war, you will head for a distant safe haven, a mages' school named Lyceum, which has sent up a rallying cry for those who wish to resist the warmongers. You will have a chance to form alliances, to build an army, and to uncover the strange secrets that underlie the conflict. As the war reaches a climax, powerful magic will threaten to scorch nations, or sunder them into nothing but nightmares. It will be up to you to bring the war to an end before only embers and ruins remain.
[/sblock]

Teaser said:
You had been asked to meet an operative named Torrent shortly before midnight in the pub of the Poison Apple Inn to discuss things, and to use the alley door. Supposedly, she has an important mission and needs the help of capable adventurers, and she plans to leave the city with them.

Normally, streets were filled with happy people on New Year's Eve. This was more true in Gate Pass than anywhere else, where New Year's, and its Festival of Dreams, was the favorite holiday.
But the streets were nearly deserted. Perhaps it was the cold wind, or the dirty snow. More likely it had to do with the approaching Ragesian army and the Ragesian Scourge already let into the city by the cowardly city council in a feeble attempt to placate them.

The pub was in a poorer district paved with slush-covered cobblestones and with snow-filled alleys. Few windows had lights.
The Poison Apple was a two-story building with a bridge connecting its roof to that of the neighboring house--this kind of "skybridge" was common in Gate Pass, where space was at a premium since it was inherently limited. In some places, it was possible to travel across and through public buildings to get around without setting foot on the ground; in this case, it was likely just to connect the owners' house to the inn.

There was a sign on the door:
Trehan Finner, owner of the Poison Apple Pub, has been taken into temporary custody under the protection of the city guard, until such time that he can be questioned by representatives of the Ragesian Empire, and found innocent of hostile collusion.
The Poison Apple Pub is hereby closed until further notice.​
"Until he can be found innocent" was something of a joke, as the Ragesian Inquisitors had rather broad definitions of "guilty," which did seem to include knowing any magic while not being loyal to Ragesia--whether or not one was even Ragesian. A few non-magical citizens of Gate Pass did whisper that every spellcaster should simply surrender to spare the rest of them

There were boards nailed across the door, but snow had been cleared away from the alley, and a faint light peeked out beneath the side door.
Whenever one of the adventurers opened it, they were met with a human in defensive posture and bearing a battleaxe, with a symbol of Poseidon bound to her left wrist with a leather cord. Her axe and breastplate were both decorated with blue enamel, although they did bear the nicks and scratches indicative of actual use. She had unusual coloring for a human, with both medium-dark skin and pale blue eyes, and short white hair despite her youth.
She apparently recognized the adventurers by their descriptions, since each time she relaxed her guard with a nod. Most of the pub was closed up tight, with tables and chairs shoved against walls and windows shuttered and boarded up. There was one round table in the center of the room, with enough chairs for all present to sit. Torrent waved towards this table, which bore a disappointing array of cheeses and other cold food along with a less disappointing array of bottles and glasses.
"We have business," said Torrent, "and the situation is dire. But I hope we can celebrate the New Year as much as we can while we're here. Mrs. Finner left out her best bottles for us--though of course, if anybody asks we broke in since we knew it would be empty, and she has no idea we're here. She's very brave, but she has children and they've already lost one parent."

One thing the setting doesn't include is a pantheon. Religion is a bit important in the game, but largely relating to the heretical Ragesian Inquisition, a group of mostly divine casters who draw their power from their faith in their own collective power; they don't have a patron deity.
This is negotiable if someone strongly prefers something else, but I'm leaning towards using the fantasy Greek pantheon from PHB page 298.

[sblock=NPC Allies]This adventure path has a few friendly NPC adventurers who are likely to travel with the party for a while. I know a lot of players don't much care for that kind of thing, so I'm toning them down a bit.
I'm building them like PCs, but with simpler builds and at a lower level than players (that's one of the reasons I'm having you start at 2nd level instead of 1st like the book calls for, so I can make Torrent less powerful than you). I'll share the NPCs' character sheets, and in combat players can generally feel free to declare an ally's actions when they post their own.
If you still really don't like them, I can phase them out.

The first of these allies is Torrent. If a player wants to play a Tempest Cleric, I can re-write her not to step on toes.

[sblock=Torrent's Character Sheet]Torrent (CG Female Human Cleric 1)
Torrent.jpg

Str 16 (+3)
-Athletics +5
Dex 9 (-1)
Con 13 (+1)
Int 11 (+0)
Wis 15 (+2)
-Insight +4
-Save +4
Cha 14 (+2)
-Intimidation +4
-Persuasion +4
-Save +4

AC 15 (Breastplate and Shield)
HD 1/1d8
HP 9/9

Battleaxe +5, 1d8/10+3 Slashing
Trident +5 20/60, 1d6/8+3
Dagger +5 20/60, 1d4+3
Longbow +1 150/600, 1d8-1

Armor Proficiencies: Light armor, medium armor, heavy armor, shields
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple and martial weapons
Languages: Common, Orc
Tool Proficiencies: Playing Cards, Vehicles (Land)

Background: Soldier
Personality Traits: Torrent faces problems head-on. A simple, direct solution is the best path to success. Also, nothing can shake her optimistic attitude.
Ideal: Independence. When people follow orders blindly, they embrace a kind of tyranny.
Bond: Her mentor, Lee Sidoneth, a druid and the harbormaster in Seaquen.
Flaw: Torrent judges others harshly, and herself even more severely.

Features:
Spellcasting (Ritual Casting-spells prepared)
Divine Domain (Tempest)
Wrath of the Storm – 2/2 Torrent can thunderously rebuke attackers. When a creature within 5 feet of her that she can see hits her with an attack, she can use her reaction to cause the creature to make a Dex save. The creature takes 2d8 lightning or thunder damage (her choice) on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one.

Spellcasting:
+4 spell attacks, DC 12
Cantrips Known:
Guidance (V, S; Conc)
Sacred Flame (V, S)
Spare the Dying (V, S)
1st Level (2/2):
Bless (V, S, M; Conc)
Create or Destroy Water (V, S, M)
Cure Wounds (V, S)
Fog Cloud (V, S; Conc)
Thunderwave (V, S)

Tactics: Torrent has experience fighting alongside arcane spellcasters, and she tends to hang back to protect softer allies (and she tends to assume "arcane spellcasters" and "softer allies" are synonyms until she learns differently). She usually saves her spells for emergency healing, unless she has time before a fight she sees coming to buff herself or warrior allies.[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Character Creation]I don't much care about your character sheet format, as long as it's complete and legible.
Level: 2
Ability Scores: Standard 27-point buy or array
Alignment: Non-evil strongly preferred
Starting Gear: Standard starting gear or wealth plus 100 gp. You may spend that on common consumable magic items--potions of healing or 1st-level spell scrolls--for 50 gp each. You can assume your character's clothing is suitable for the cold weather.
Background: The game starts with the PCs going to meet Torrent, a member of the Gate Pass Resistance, to get information about their mission. They've already agreed to meet her and accepted the mission (which includes promise of an opportunity to get out of the city but not promise of payment), so your background should end with that.
Character Options: Feats, Variant Humans, and Multiclassing are all okay.
Notes: Your characters wouldn't necessarily know this yet, but I feel it would be unfair not to let the players know before character creation. This isn't so much a house rule as a plot point, as it's a recent development that characters are trying to figure out and/or work around. There's an odd effect where the Astral Plane seems to be... on fire. Teleportation, summoning, and and planar travel magic are all dangerous. Unless the spell specifically uses the Ethereal Plane or Shadowfell, the target appears in a small (often noticeable) burst of flame and takes fire damage. 1d6 for planar travel, or 1d6 per 100 feet (or fraction thereof) for teleportation. It's fire damage, and can be resisted or avoided in any way that protects against fire damage.
Secondly, you might find the Perform skill unusually useful in this game. Don't take that as a hint that everybody should have it, but it's a bit more useful than typical.
Dream: Gate Pass has a New Year's festival called the Festival of Dreams. Everyone in the city is encouraged to write a hope or dream on a slip of paper or parchment and put it in a small clay urn (which the city produces in mass quantities every year) and place it in Summer's Bluff. The high priests of the temple all break one open and pledge their temple to fulfilling the wish within; it's said to be bad luck if none of the priests open one wishing for spring, even if they can't actually do anything about that. Everyone present is encouraged to take one and attempt to fulfill the wish within, and any left over are buried, a tradition said to bring good fortune (although most adults recognize the ritual as a combination of superstition and tradition, and don't believe it has actual power). While somewhat self-centered wishes are tolerated, truly selfish wishes are discouraged and the citizens take great pleasure in perverting them.
Is your character participating? Did they fill their wish urn already? What did they wish for (you can PM this answer to me if you want, since nobody else would know, but it might help you write your character's personality and help me understand it)?
Answer this question, too: Why did you agree to meet with Torrent tonight?
Character Selection: Not necessarily first-come first-served.

[sblock=Races]Humans are the most populous race in the region. Most of the nations treat citizens of different races equally, but most of them also have human leadership. While ostensibly equal, the human majority are something of second-class citizens in the elf-dominated Shining Lands of Shahalesti. Perhaps ironically, humans actually are treated more equally in the human/orc Ragesian Empire, where Emperor Drakus Coaltongue was half-orc, and his right-hand woman, Supreme Inquisitor Leska Merideus, is human (or at least most people think she is--between the floor-length robes and white mask that she's always worn in public as long as she's been a public figure, it's hard to be certain).

Dwarves don't make up the majority of any of the region's nations, but they are quite a large minority in the Kingdom of Dassen. Until recently, that nation was ruled by the most "worthy" member of eight noble families, one of which was a dwarf family. Currently, it has a king but is ruled by a council (the king's vote counts extra) of the ruling nobles, so the Dashgoban noble family still has as much power as any of the human ones. Independent dwarf clans also live in various places within the region's mountain ranges.
There's no difference between Dwarf subraces.

High Elves dominate the Shining Lands of Shahalesti, although they're actually the largest minority (humans form the actual majority). There was once a sizable Wood Elf minority, but they've largely died out in recent decades, particularly after Innenotdar Forest caught fire (and has been burning continuously for decades without actually burning down due to unexplained magic); many of them now live in Gate Pass. Shahalesti has long-standing alliances with celestials, but they've become somewhat strained of late due to the actions of Shining Lord Shaaladel who is... less than perfectly pure-hearted. Shaaladel's only heir, Lady Shalosha, is considerably more well-liked.
Drow are nigh unheard of in the setting, and not recommended for PCs--but maybe you have a place for them in mind.

Halflings have no nation of their own, but they're not uncommon in any nation. Many of them mix with other races, and many form their own communities and halfling-dominated towns and villages.
Gnomes are the same, and sometimes mixed communities of smallfolk band together.
There's no difference between Halfling or Gnome subraces.

Dragonborn are nigh unheard of in the setting, and not recommended for PCs--but maybe you have a place for them in mind.

Half-elves are quite common in Shahalesti and Gate Pass, places where humans and elves mingle. They can be somewhat snubbed in Shahalesti, where the elves can be elitist, but they are readily welcomed in Gate Pass.

Half-orcs are extremely common in Ragesia (and therefore Gate Pass), where the emperor who carved out the empire was himself a half-orc who largely united human nations and orc tribes under his rule. Not all humans and orcs get along, of course, but at least in that respect the Old Dragon certainly made things better.
Beyond Gate Pass, people associate half-orcs with Ragesia, which is perhaps a bit different from their negative reputation in other DnD settings, but it's still a negative reputation.

Tieflings are quite uncommon. Those that exist largely hail from Ragesia, where trafficking with fiends is not unheard of. The ancestor who forged the contract that led to their creation might have lived in living memory--or might even still be alive. Tieflings might have orc or half-orc blood instead of human.[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=House Rules]I don't have much experience as a 5E GM yet, so this section may change. I won't spring anything on you, of course.

You may use the Climb onto a Bigger Creature, Disarm, Overrun, Shove Aside, or Tumble actions from pages 271 and 272 of the DMG.

Group Initiative:
This one is more for ease of use in PbP than anything.
Basically, I'll average enemy Initiative. Any PCs that beat them can act, then we'll rotate between enemy turns and PCs' turns. Players can act whenever it's convenient for them to post instead of waiting for their specific turn.

[sblock=Example]The party, including Abigail, Broderick, Candace, Dodger, and their friend Torrent, encounter a group of Thugs and Scouts led by an Inquisitor.
Abigail rolls 24, Broderick rolls 4, Candace rolls 18, Dodger rolls 15, Torrent rolls 8, the Thugs roll 9, the Scouts roll 11, and the Inquisitor rolls 13.
The enemies average 11.

Initiative order would be:
Abigail, Candace, and Dodger
Enemies
PCs (and Torrent)
Enemies
PCs
Etc.

Abigail, Candace, and Dodger's players can post as they're available, and I'll resolve their actions as I'm available and then take the enemies' turns. Then all players can post as they're available. If none of them declared an action for Torrent, I'll take her turn before the enemies' next turn. And so on.[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Party]Lord Davaros Silverfist, Human Paladin/Warlock by Steve Gorak
Andocles, Half-elf Bard by 3SpdDragster
Toby Goodberry, Halfling Ranger by GreenKarl
Caleb Raiden, Human Wizard/Cleric by Matthan
Kyrrie, human fighter/bard by Sezarious
Kincaid, human cleric by Schmoe[/sblock]

Last edited:

3SpdDragster

First Post
SuperZero thanks for getting this up and running. I am going to be running my own game as well but would love to participate in this.

Would a half-elf Bard be ok?

I think that from observation a Bard can be a bit of a pain in pbp but would like to try.

SuperZero

First Post
A bard is absolutely fine. Great, even.

(And I know you are. I got distracted writing this post plotting a warlock for that game.)

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
This looks like great fun! I'll try to come up with a character this evening. I'm leaning toward a scholarly priest.

mips42

Adventurer
Interested in playing, what class(s) need covered?
Concept: human Barbarian/Druid from Ragesian highlands

Last edited:

Alizaar

First Post
This sounds pretty interesting,not sure how many people you want to DM for. I am still new to pbp format but would definitely like to give this a try.

Matthan

Explorer
I love this adventure and have always wanted to play it. I'm currently running a 5E game of it myself through roll20. Would you be open to someone playing who has read and run the adventure before? I completely understand if you prefer your players to have no prior knowledge.

*edit* I'm open to building a character to fill holes, but a wizard trying to stay a step ahead of the Scourge sounds like a lot of fun for the adventure.

Last edited:

Hey, just wanted to say it's awesome to see new faces doing fresh things on PbP. Love it. I'm not putting in for this game 'cause I've got plenty on my plate, but I think it's a stellar adventure path, and I hope ya'll have a marvelous time.

SuperZero

First Post
I'm leaning toward a scholarly priest.
Torrent won't be with the party forever and I wouldn't call her "scholarly," but if you feel she steps on your toes having the same class let me know.
The NPC companions are less important than the PCs. I can rewrite/-build her any number of ways.

This sounds pretty interesting,not sure how many people you want to DM for. I am still new to pbp format but would definitely like to give this a try.
I'll probably try to recruit 6-ish? Maybe a bit much, but PbPs can lose a player or two. And if all six stick around, I can deal with that. =P

Would you be open to someone playing who has read and run the adventure before?
Sure. You might notice I'll probably change up a few things as we go.
I mean, I'd probably do that anyway, but since I'm already converting everything...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases