D&D 4E 4E WotC Tools dead?

I've found the problem to be usually tied to having "old enough" versions of the << Microsoft Visual C++ "YEAR" Redistributable >>

You should probably try to download the older ones (I have 2005 and up however... so I'm not really going to play in there to find the breaking point... sorry :p ).

Yeah, its a matter of which version of .NET and its supporting files will work. There's probably a lower and upper bound. You could go back and do a bit of research on release dates of .NET Framework and pick one that came out around that time (2008/9) and it will probably work. That's already into the Vista era, so you shouldn't have any problems, some of the stuff targeted at earlier versions of windows can be a little rough sometimes.

D'karr

Adventurer
I have installed the offline Adventure Tools in Win10 without any issue but there are specific steps that must be taken to make it work properly. The adventure tools setup will install all the necessary files (.NET 3.5 w/SP1) to function if they don't already exist.

You will need 2 files to make this work:
The original Setup file (Adventure_Tools_setup.exe).
The Dec 2010 Update (Adventure Tools Update Dec 2010.exe).

Here are the steps to take.
(1) Create a folder where you will install the files. I use [DRIVE]:\utilities for all my installations but anything you can remember will work (replace [DRIVE] with whatever physical drive you want to use). During installation DO NOT INSTALL in the "Program Files" or "Program Files(x86)" folder. Windows has restrictive permissions to those 2 folders and installations might run into issues on those locations.
(2) Run the file "Adventure_Tools_setup.exe" as administrator. Make sure you change the location to the location you created above and leave the \Wizards of the Coast\Adventure Tools part to better differentiate the folder (e.g., c:\utilities\Wizards of the Coast\Adventure Tools). Please note this location as you will need it when you run the next file. During this installation UNCHECK the "run updater" selection box when asked to do so. The install will create a shortcut in the Desktop. When the installation is complete DO NOT start the adventure tools.
(3) Run the file "Adventure Tools Update Dec 2010.exe" as administrator. Change the file installation to the folder you used above (e.g., c:\utilities\Wizards of the Coast\Adventure Tools).
(4) when the installation is complete you can use the shortcut to start adventure tools. From there select the Monster Builder to start the MB.

There are 2 catches to this. Don't ever run the Update Launcher from the program. And since WotC changed their site (DDI links don't work properly anymore) any of the offline tools will give script errors on the welcome page due to these changes (e.g., carousel, etc.). Just click the stop script button and keep going. You will see the WotC site loaded in the little welcome pane instead of the old DDI "Dragon and Crystal Ball" page.

These tools were always in Beta so make sure you save often so you don't lose work.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

I have installed the offline Adventure Tools in Win10 without any issue but there are specific steps that must be taken to make it work properly. The adventure tools setup will install all the necessary files (.NET 3.5 w/SP1) to function if they don't already exist.

You will need 2 files to make this work:
The original Setup file (Adventure_Tools_setup.exe).
The Dec 2010 Update (Adventure Tools Update Dec 2010.exe).

Here are the steps to take.
(1) Create a folder where you will install the files. I use [DRIVE]:\utilities for all my installations but anything you can remember will work (replace [DRIVE] with whatever physical drive you want to use). During installation DO NOT INSTALL in the "Program Files" or "Program Files(x86)" folder. Windows has restrictive permissions to those 2 folders and installations might run into issues on those locations.

That was my first mistake, so thank you for this info.

(2) Run the file "Adventure_Tools_setup.exe" as administrator. Make sure you change the location to the location you created above and leave the \Wizards of the Coast\Adventure Tools part to better differentiate the folder (e.g., c:\utilities\Wizards of the Coast\Adventure Tools). Please note this location as you will need it when you run the next file. During this installation UNCHECK the "run updater" selection box when asked to do so. The install will create a shortcut in the Desktop. When the installation is complete DO NOT start the adventure tools.
(3) Run the file "Adventure Tools Update Dec 2010.exe" as administrator. Change the file installation to the folder you used above (e.g., c:\utilities\Wizards of the Coast\Adventure Tools).
(4) when the installation is complete you can use the shortcut to start adventure tools. From there select the Monster Builder to start the MB.

There are 2 catches to this. Don't ever run the Update Launcher from the program. And since WotC changed their site (DDI links don't work properly anymore) any of the offline tools will give script errors on the welcome page due to these changes (e.g., carousel, etc.). Just click the stop script button and keep going. You will see the WotC site loaded in the little welcome pane instead of the old DDI "Dragon and Crystal Ball" page.

These tools where always in Beta so make sure you save often so you don't lose work.

I hope this helps.

I will try that tomorrow and report back. I can't wait :)

Update: It worked!

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I don't know if this has come up yet, but I may have found a workaround that allows people to renew a subscription. Note "renew"--my method cannot be used to start a brand-new subscription. Here's the post where I spelled it out (for [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] ):

Providing this info for you, and anyone else interested.

Start here. https://store.digitalriver.com/store/dndi/DisplayHelpPage

Click any of the links that regard your account (e.g. "My Order History" or "My Payment Information"). You'll be directed to a login page, if you aren't already logged into your account. (I've merged my account with a Wizards account, so I can log into either place--it's slightly more convenient to log into the Wizards account and then click the DDI page link, but I've just provided that to you anyway.)

Once you're logged in, click "My Order History." This should now bring up a list of your previous orders. Click on any of the links which describe a completed purchase (none of the others will work for this). If you have a preference about what kind of purchase you'd like to make, select an order with the appropriate price tag (if there's one available). I, for example, have both the three-month $23.85 type and the one-month $9.95 type, so I can renew either of those types of subscription. If you only have one kind of subscription listed, I'm afraid that'll be the only thing you can renew (using this method).

From that individual order page, click the "Manage Subscription" link on the right-hand side. This will take you to your account subscription page. There should be a link on the left-hand side (again in a grey box) which says "Renew Now." Click it, and you'll be taken to a shopping cart with a new order for the kind of subscription you had purchased with the old order you looked at earlier, because you're renewing that specific order. You can then click "Check Out."

I have not tested it beyond this point, as I am not currently interested in renewing my subscription--I do not know 100% for sure it will work, but I do not see any reason why it wouldn't. Digital River still exists as a payment processor, the site is still up and running, new order IDs are still being handed out for pending shopping carts (see below), and the DDI tools still know whether or not your account has a subscription. That would seem to be all the necessary parts in place. Let me know if it actually lets you place the order. Somewhat to my surprise, the two times I tested this, I did create new "orders" in my order history--they're just listed as "unsubmitted" because I cancelled them instead of proceeding to checkout. (It's now three times, because I did it again to make sure I was accurately indicating the steps you'd need to take.)

As I told him, I'm curious to know whether it DOES in fact let you renew your subscription, since I haven't "completed" my testing. It's obviously not a perfect method, since even if it works it can't bring "new" people into the fold, but it's better than nothing if it works.

Last edited:

D'karr

Adventurer
[MENTION=6790260]EzekielRaiden[/MENTION], good find. Thanks.

Unfortunately it does not allow for correcting the billing information such as a changing an expired credit card. It seems to me that this is on a very limited life-support. Thankfully I have everything electronic in offline formats. Guess, I won't be sending anymore of my money in WotC's direction.

Demorgus

Explorer
[MENTION=6790260]EzekielRaiden[/MENTION], good find. Thanks.

Unfortunately it does not allow for correcting the billing information such as a changing an expired credit card. It seems to me that this is on a very limited life-support. Thankfully I have everything electronic in offline formats. Guess, I won't be sending anymore of my money in WotC's direction.

Actually, if you do the steps he outlines on one of your expired subscriptions, you can add in a new CC/debit card and update your info. That was my original problem, my debit card went missing and I had to get a new one.

I don't know if this has come up yet, but I may have found a workaround that allows people to renew a subscription. Note "renew"--my method cannot be used to start a brand-new subscription. Here's the post where I spelled it out (for [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] ):

As I told him, I'm curious to know whether it DOES in fact let you renew your subscription, since I haven't "completed" my testing. It's obviously not a perfect method, since even if it works it can't bring "new" people into the fold, but it's better than nothing if it works.

Well, you MIGHT be able to twig with things if you're sufficiently clever and get it to say 'renew' a currently non-existent subscription of a different type. Most of these carts aren't that picky about their inputs and pretty much assume people just click on the available buttons as opposed to submitting requests with different content. Still, that's not really much help to anyone that isn't willing to figure out a bit of a puzzle!

D'karr

Adventurer
Actually, if you do the steps he outlines on one of your expired subscriptions, you can add in a new CC/debit card and update your info. That was my original problem, my debit card went missing and I had to get a new one.

I tried that. It did not allow me to update/edit the credit card or add a new one. It throws an exception "Error:

We are currently unable to perform the selected action. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience. We have been notified and are already working to correct this issue as quickly as possible. Please click your browser's back button and try this action at a later time, or take a different action."

Though it did allow me to change the address.

Remove ads