D&D 5E Holiday Challenge: Vow of the Silent Knight

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I ran this with my group at work on Monday night. It was a blast. They figured out the charades pretty well and because there were more players and they were higher level I added some red-eyed, red-nosed, fire breathing reindeer (giant elk base) as well as buffing the dryads and letting the treant attack every other round.

The players had a lot of fun and 2 new players joined in just for the night.

Highlights are the teifling warlock getting charmed but the two characters under the tree just digging through the presents for the good stuff.
One of the players disarmed another player and took their hammer to place under the tree.
The rogue helping the paladin go up the tree making sure she completed her quest.

The psychic damage inflicted after I thanked them for helping the silent knight.

Sounds like a fun session! Thanks for playing it and telling me how it went!

aco175

Legend
I opened this up and it took me a minute to figure out how the first post could be Dec 12th when today is the 11th. Forgot about this one.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I finally got the chance to run this adventure this evening for some friends! It went over very well.

20191229_202535.jpg

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
(Back after a couple of days of holiday stuff)

Did they succeed?
They did! Although I'm glad I only went with one awakened tree, because those things pack quite a wallop. (Then they all got distracted trying to steal the treasure under the tree before I could tell them Tannenbaum would just give it to them. Players...) They loved the little drummer sprite.

To spice up the journey, I did my best to reconstruct the icy river hazard and "snobalds" (their spelling) from the video play-through. In case anyone else wants to try it, here's what I came up with:

____

Icy River:
Not frozen, but fast-moving and extremely cold; about 15 ft. wide; 1d6 cold damage per round spent in the water. DC 15 Strength (Athletics) check to jump the river without falling in. DC 15 Strength save to avoid being swept downstream 20 ft./round. Noëlle cannot swim.

While the PCs are discussing how to cross the river, have them make DC 15 Perception checks to see if they notice the 6 snobalds sneaking up to surround them. If no one notices, the PCs are surprised. At the top of the third round of combat, 6 more snobalds form on the far side of the river and attack from range with missile-toe.

Snobald.JPG

The players were extremely interested in the snobalds' hats and wanted to know what sort of hat each one was wearing. :D

P.S. Here's the correct link for part 3 of the YouTube play-through:

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Oh, also! I came up with a couple of ways to handle the problem of players wanting to give Noëlle a pen and paper.

First solution: If no one in your party speaks Sylvan ... then Noëlle only speaks Sylvan, and anything she writes is also in that language.

Second solution: When Noëlle enters, the little drummer sprite steps forward and announces to all assembled that she has made a vow not to communicate in speech or writing until she has completed her task, which she will now tell everyone about.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases