Contingency Measures Against Star Wars Spoilers

Have any of you been in the need of engaging contingency measures to avoid getting spoiled before watching Star Wars?

In this day and age, not watching something the very next day it's released and then logging into any social network feels like a game of Minesweeper in which all boxes are 8s! My father and I decided to execute "Operation Hermit" and disappear from Facebook, Twitter, and even Whatsapp chats for the next two weeks to avoid spoilers, but even so we're exposed to dangers in family/friend meetings with Christmas just around the corner.

How are you dealing with the risk, if you are not expecting to watch it during the premiere (or these seemingly unnecessary pre-premieres that happen these days)?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's pretty much a constant thing with every US TV show and movie for me, so I just get used to it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For Star Wars itself, it isn't much of an issue, as I'll get to see it Friday.

However, the phenomenon overall is a thing. I see it with Jessica Jones, Agents of Shield, Doctor Who - all things that I need to avoid discussions of when everyone else but I have seen them.

Janx

Hero
For Star Wars itself, it isn't much of an issue, as I'll get to see it Friday.

However, the phenomenon overall is a thing. I see it with Jessica Jones, Agents of Shield, Doctor Who - all things that I need to avoid discussions of when everyone else but I have seen them.

Yeah, JJ for instance, I had to travel a lot recently, so couldn't watch it. Which meant everybody had already seen it by the time I could sit down to it.

makes it harder to participate in talking about a show, when everybody's watch the entire series 2 weeks ago...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, JJ for instance, I had to travel a lot recently, so couldn't watch it. Which meant everybody had already seen it by the time I could sit down to it.

makes it harder to participate in talking about a show, when everybody's watch the entire series 2 weeks ago...

Exactly. I still haven't watched it - just haven't had the time. So, everyone else will be all talked out before I get to even consider discussing it.

Janx

Hero
Exactly. I still haven't watched it - just haven't had the time. So, everyone else will be all talked out before I get to even consider discussing it.

I wonder if that's going to be a new problem for TV shows. Asynchronous and whole-season availability breaks the old-style water cooler (or forum) discussion as folks who can't gorge on 12 episodes on release day have to avoid conversations.

At least in the old days, one episode a week was aired, and you could probably record it and watch it later that night or by the weekend such that you'd be reasonably caught up to other folks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Regional embargoes are the biggest issue. Until the world is getting everything simultaneously, the problem will continue.

I have a Facebook list of four people who have spoiled more than one US show or movie in plain view for me before I've had any legal opportunity to see them. As we get Star Wars a day before they do, I have not fully settled on how vindictive I feel.

OK. I won't, as that makes me as bad as them. I might poke them with a couple of fake spoilers though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'll just leave a big Star Wars spoiler here...

starwarsspoiler.jpg

Joke never gets old...

delericho

Legend
Have any of you been in the need of engaging contingency measures to avoid getting spoiled before watching Star Wars?

1. Go see it as soon as possible (15 hours to go!)

2. Don't read the reviews. I don't trust them to be accurate anyway, but some thirteen years ago a review of "Attack of the Clones" dropped a huge spoiler without preamble. Having carefully avoided spoilers to that point, I was not best pleased.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
At least in the old days, one episode a week was aired, and you could probably record it and watch it later that night or by the weekend such that you'd be reasonably caught up to other folks.

Admittedly, even for many shows that are one episode per week, I wind up behind. There are several shows (like Doctor Who and Agents of Shield) that my wife isn't interested in. So, I only get to them when I have the combination of TV time, and she's not around. Dump in stuff like Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and I quickly get swamped.

Remove ads