Contingency Measures Against Star Wars Spoilers

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The ones I always get hit by are Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, and all the superhero shows. It's very rare that I see an episode without knowing what's going to happen. One of the most frustrating examples of this was the recent introduction of a certain character in Supergirl. I would have loved to experience that surprise.

Janx

Hero
The ones I always get hit by are Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, and all the superhero shows. It's very rare that I see an episode without knowing what's going to happen. One of the most frustrating examples of this was the recent introduction of a certain character in Supergirl. I would have loved to experience that surprise.

Sorry that happened. We had somebody spoil who died next on TWD the night it aired on Facebook. With Amazon Prime, we get the show the next day.

What's the common source for your spoilage? Forums (ex. ENWorld that you have to moderate). FaceBook? blabbermouths in the UK who run up to you and tell you "OMG, those crazy yanks killed Captain Tightpants!"

Since you are in another country, I imagine you don't get our shows right away (not legally). It might be as simple as the lead time before you do get them and propagation of info.

Just curious.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What's the common source for your spoilage? Forums (ex. ENWorld that you have to moderate). FaceBook?

Facebook and Twitter are the worst two.

blabbermouths in the UK who run up to you and tell you "OMG, those crazy yanks killed Captain Tiuhtpants!"

Well, no, they haven't seen these things yet either!

Since you are in another country, I imagine you don't get our shows right away (not legally). It might be as simple as the lead time before you do get them and propagation of info.

I thought that was what I said! :D

Yes, it is exactly that. We are usually a week or so behind on most stuff.

Janx

Hero
Facebook and Twitter are the worst two.

Well, no, they haven't seen these things yet either!

I thought that was what I said! :D

Yes, it is exactly that. We are usually a week or so behind on most stuff.

But you didn't say it that way :) The lead time, plus if you have twitter/FB friends from folks in the US....

I don't do twitter, I imagine that to be a big blather of spoilage from a slew our sources.

FB, I normally trust to just be me and my friends. But one friend blabbed the night a major character got offed. Not cool.

Is the answer to avoid Twitter and FB? At least with forums, I can avoid the Doctor Who thread until I am caught up.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
B
Is the answer to avoid Twitter and FB? At least with forums, I can avoid the Doctor Who thread until I am caught up.

I think you've largely hit on it, yes - if your feeds have people who will blurt things out, you need to avoid the feed, or at least the posts of those particular people.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think you've largely hit on it, yes - if your feeds have people who will blurt things out, you need to avoid the feed, or at least the posts of those particular people.

I can't avoid social media. It's my job.

But I wasn't asking for advice. I was complaining. Different thing entirely! I was just pointing out that a phenomenon suddenly the US is worrying about is the norm for the rest of us for pretty much most stuff.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
I can't avoid social media. It's my job.

But I wasn't asking for advice. I was complaining. Different thing entirely! I was just pointing out that a phenomenon suddenly the US is worrying about is the norm for the rest of us for pretty much most stuff.

no, you weren't but the OP was, and your situation might be revealing as to how leaks happen. Which I think it was.

Since I dont' have Twitter, it didn't occur to me until you mentioned it, how that might easily be blurting out spoilers, especially as the networks formed there are likely less personal and thus unaware of you as a person and your delay to seeing a show.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As an example, 10 minutes ago I was spoiled in full view on Facebook about a US TV show. From someone who had been posting "Don't spoil Star Wars for me!" GIFS.

I gave in to the dark side. I PMd them a major (fake) Star Wars spoiler on Faecbook. I'm not proud of it, but FFS. They should just be glad it wasn't real.

I've never done that before, but right now is an irony rich zone. For me, it's incessant and never stops.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
As an example, 10 minutes ago I was spoiled in full view on Facebook about a US TV show. From someone who had been posting "Don't spoil Star Wars for me!" GIFS.

I gave in to the dark side. I PMd them a major (fake) Star Wars spoiler on Faecbook. I'm not proud of it, but FFS. They should just be glad it wasn't real.

I've never done that before, but right now is an irony rich zone. For me, it's incessant and never stops.

I'm still sorry that happened (wasn't me). I really don't like spoiling stuff for people. I once accidentally spoiled the breaking bad ending to a friend who was talking like they had seen it (and it was some time after it ended). If I had more than 2 emotions, I would have felt bad about it (it made me hungry, one of my 2 emotions).

I suppose it's hard to do, seems like the only way to not be the spoiler is to only talk about a thing inside a forum thread about that thing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But I wasn't asking for advice.

S'okay. I was responding to Janx, not to you.

I was just pointing out that a phenomenon suddenly the US is worrying about is the norm for the rest of us for pretty much most stuff.

With respect, Morrus, there is nothing "sudden" about this. Or have you forgotten that we have spoiler rules in the OT forum, and have had them officially posted for over a year?

The iconic College Humor video discussing spoiler rules is three years old, and the phenomenon of worrying about spoilers is notably older than that. It is only more visible now because we are talking about the largest pop-culture event in years, possibly ever.

https://youtu.be/v8IAhI-B6UU

Last edited:

Remove ads