Do Christians and muslims worship the same God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A professor at Wheaton College, a private Evangelical Protestant college, was suspended for saying that Christians and Muslims worship the same God.
I stand in religious solidarity with Muslims because they, like me, a Christian, are people of the book. And as Pope Francis stated last week, we worship the same God.
She also wore a hijab.

It's interesting as I never heard that there was a questions regarding whether or not Christians and Muslims worshipped the same God. I've heard people of various religions claiming that other religions are wrong, and that they are worshipping God incorrectly, or whatever, but not that they worshipped another God.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Islam is one of the Abrahamic faiths. As such, most people who teach religion or theology would probably assert that Muslims believe in the same deity as do Jews and Christians, and just call Him by a different name.

To say otherwise is...well...extremely rare. My gut feeling is that those who assert that position are found only among the most conservative Islamic, Jewish or Christian faith traditions.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I feel it varies from person to person and erm "holy-person" to "holy-person". Some can wrap their head around the possibility that all religious folk are worshiping the same entity, but just go about it differently. I know a few from my Catholic Confirmation classes that would outright state that other religions are wrong and that they pray to an empty sky.

I trend to the more compassionate of the two myself.

I have no problem at all with her saying that sort of thing. If it were to ever catch on, the world may end up as a much safer and cooperative place.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Islam is one of the Abrahamic faiths. As such, most people who teach religion or theology would probably assert that Muslims believe in the same deity as do Jews and Christians, and just call Him by a different name.

not even a different name. The Arabic Allah is just a dialect variation of Elah (the word as pronounced in Aramaic) and Arabic speaking Christians call Him Allah too

Christians worship Allah just like Jews and Muslims

Mallus

Legend
What Danny said. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are the three Abrahamic faiths; direct descendants of one another. Each positing the same transcendent monotheistic god.

Ryujin

Legend
Islam, Judaism, and Christianity all started in the same small area of the world, from the same root faith, with many of the same root stories. Many practices, like dietary proscriptions, were also initially the same. As the professor said, as also stated in The Quran, all are "People of the Book."

But I'll just stick to my own beliefs that if there is a God, it's beyond arrogant to think that a mere mortal could read his mind.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, they don't worship Odin, or Set, or Thor, or Zeus, or Paladine, or Pelor, so I guess so.

The statement she made also implies a belief in evolution and gives ethos to the Pope. Neither of those comments will help her popularity at Wheaton.

I also don't think the consequences of her statement should surprise her/anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads