Random Star Wars universe thoughts [spoilers]

Ignoring the novels (as the new movie does), the most likely "What happens after The Emperor was killed?" scenario is something like Original Traveller's* "Imperial Civil War" adventure module: a half-dozen large successor states (one is the New Republic and the audience is encouraged to root for it) plus countless de facto independent worlds and multiple petty states. Several Imperial Admirals / Generals can build a space to rule; Hutt space is a Thing again. Some other pre-Old Republic nations / races may have reasserted themselves as independent or effectively autonomous.

I wish the movie HAD used the novels, since Grand Admiral Thrawn was a natural BBEG - his master plan has aspects both glorious and nefarious. Good-hearted men can aid him in his endeavors, accomplishing shared tactical goals, even if they dislike his final purpose. He is not a Force-adept, so he's not a complete Palpatine clone. He's trying to emplace himself as somebody else's Grand Vizier (but he hasn't found somebody to be The Boss) rather than rule all in his own name.

* You can now make a good guess at my age.

Thrawn seemed to fit really well into the Star Wars universe, but with a distinctively different approach to strategy or people skills.
Thrawn used guile and trickery, and while he did rely on "super weapons" to some extent, he used them in surprising and unpredictable ways. He handled defeats a lot better, and had contingencies.

Taht is what mostly disappointed me about the new movie - the starkiller just seems doing more of the same.

That said,we'll see how things evolved. If Episode IX features a incomplete starkiller... A nice touch was that Snokes didn't rage or anything whe he heard the starkiller weapon was destroyed - he just calmly ordered evacuation and retrieval of his pupil.

I have no knowlade of the new EU books, and only know the old stuff before th Vong showed up...

I think that the new republic never fully formed based on the movie... that it was still building 30 years later and the first order had part of the galaxy... it's really sad because it means the return of the jedi victory was very short lived

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Thrawn used guile and trickery, and while he did rely on "super weapons" to some extent, he used them in surprising and unpredictable ways.
In one scene (forget which novel), Thrawn actively turns down an opportunity to grab an incomplete Super-Star Destroyer. He reasons that somebody else can spend the time and resources to build it, and he might decide to snatch it when it's finished. However his plans are going just fine with nothing more important or attention-grabbing than normal Imperial Cruisers.
(Thrawn was doing the same thing as the IRL railroad Robber Barons: the builders usually went bankrupt upon completion - or a little before that point - and somebody more far-sighted bought them out just before the trains started moving and the money started rolling in.)

Why rage? It has served its purpose. The Republic Capitol was kaput! That's a win!

In the novelization he is angry as he had many other (unspecified) plans, but he moved on and order Hux to grad Ren and get out.

My take is the New Republic was rather like the European Union and the First Order dropped a nuke on Brussels while Parliament was in session. It served as more of confederation with a weak central government than anything like the USA, with a strong central government. Further, while the First Order was weaker than the entire New Republic, it is probably stronger than any individual members, meaning by the next movie it can be steadily conquering the galaxy. The New Republic did not have any coherent or viable succession plans, as that would get in the way of movie drama the the idea only the Resistance has the vision and will to fight the First Order.

delericho

Legend
Yeah, he's got more sense than Tarkin, at least.

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? Meh, okay."

I'm not sure Tarkin can really be criticized on that one. The Rebel assault relied on someone making a shot that really was "impossible, even for a computer". And even if he took the Force into account, he had the most powerful known Force user on his side.

MarkB

Legend
I'm not sure Tarkin can really be criticized on that one. The Rebel assault relied on someone making a shot that really was "impossible, even for a computer". And even if he took the Force into account, he had the most powerful known Force user on his side.

Sure, but Tarkin didn't know that. All he knew was that "there is a weakness", and he dismissed the rebels' chances out of hand.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My take is the New Republic was rather like the European Union and the First Order dropped a nuke on Brussels while Parliament was in session.

Well, dropped a nuke on Brussels while Parliament was in session, and *also* dropped nukes on the major NATO military basis on the continent while he was at it - remember, they destroyed several worlds in one shot, and noted that they were destroying the New Republic *fleet* as well as the government.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I am thinking System States or Parsec Districts, much like you would breakdown a city into wards/districts, the empire has fallen into this. Each having there own trade, industries, gangs, guards, etc. a feudal system on a galaxy scale.

Your star lanes are the major trade routes to hub systems, allowing for a lot of backroads for backwater planets and smuggling.

Remove ads