Vader and Fett Random Question

Cor Azer

First Post
So, assuming Jedi have some sort of mission debriefings, Anakin Skywalker should be well aware that Jango Fett is the template for the clone army (I don't recall if the name was said to Anakin on screen, because it was mostly Obi-wan dealing with Fett). If the report is thorough enough, he might know Jango has a son named Boba Fett.

So when Empire rolls around, and Vader has all the bounty hunters summoned/hired, does he realize his role in the creation of Boba Fett the bounty hunter?

I figure it's less likely Boba Fett realizes Anakin/Vader's role in his own childhood - it may or may not be known/rumoured Vader is a turned Jedi, but not likely that he was specifically Anakin Skywalker - one of the Jedi who were rescued the day his father Jango died.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One thing I find amusing about that bounty hunter scene in Empire is that he hires/briefs them that their task is to find the Falcon, then as he's doing that an officer interrupts to tell them the Falcon has been spotted. Those bounty hunters must have been really pissed off to see their pay day disappear even before the briefing was over. They came all that way to a meeting with Darth Vader on a Super Star Destroyer, all for nothing.

Luckily for them, the Falcon disappeared again a bit later. So I guess they got hired again offscreen.

Pondering the plot holes between the originals and the prequels is bound to send you spinning in circles. Somehow, by trying to explain all the mysteries, they made things make even less sense.

Maybe Vader's memory of his time as Anakin is distorted and faded by the trauma, dark side, and replacement of his body with machinery. But really, at this point anything is just making excuses for poor continuity and writing.

Cor Azer

First Post
Pondering the plot holes between the originals and the prequels is bound to send you spinning in circles. Somehow, by trying to explain all the mysteries, they made things make even less sense.

Maybe Vader's memory of his time as Anakin is distorted and faded by the trauma, dark side, and replacement of his body with machinery. But really, at this point anything is just making excuses for poor continuity and writing.

To be fair, this isn't a plot hole. It's just an interesting quirk of "prior" relationships not being expanded upon.

MarkB

Legend
It's a very tenuous link in the first place - it's basically "I was somewhere in the same battle when your dad was killed". Not exactly a personal connection.

I would say Vader knew of Fett's past and kept tabs on him, after all his "no disintegration" was obviously aimed at Fett, implying Vader knew Fett has a fondness for disintegrating his targets, although that seems kinda dumb for a bounty hunter as you would think you would need some sorta of proof that you killed the person or whatever you was after. So yeah I think Vader knows Jango was Bobas dad and the blueprint for the clone army, likewise Fett probably knows Vader is Anakin Skywalker.

delericho

Legend
So, assuming Jedi have some sort of mission debriefings...

It would appear they do not. Because otherwise you'd expect someone to point out that this clone army, that just happened to be secretly set up and funded so it was ready just when they were needed, had as a template the very bounty hunter who was just seen working with Count Dooku.

I know the Jedi are a bit stupid in the prequels, but you'd have thought at least one of them might have been curious enough to read the user manual, and might have thought to ask "So, what's up with this Order 66 then? Why have we commissioned a Clone Army with a built-in betrayal switch?"

Cor Azer

First Post
It would appear they do not. Because otherwise you'd expect someone to point out that this clone army, that just happened to be secretly set up and funded so it was ready just when they were needed, had as a template the very bounty hunter who was just seen working with Count Dooku.

Obi-wan should have noticed given his direct involvement in both, but yeah, I was trying to approach this from a non-plot hole viewpoint.

I know the Jedi are a bit stupid in the prequels, but you'd have thought at least one of them might have been curious enough to read the user manual, and might have thought to ask "So, what's up with this Order 66 then? Why have we commissioned a Clone Army with a built-in betrayal switch?"

To be fair, programmers have been inserting Easter Eggs into their work for ages ;)

And if the manual only accounts for standing orders 1-50, well, it's not like the Jedi have a decompiler to search the source code...

Remove ads