Rebels and the Force Awakens

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Does the Star Wars universe have anything like the internet al all?

They don't even have communicators/cellphones! Actually, scratch that, they do have that handheld communicator Luke uses to call 3PO from the trash compactor. I think that's called a "droid called" if my memory serves.

Long distance phone calls are basically flickery blue holograms. Not even in full-colour! Clearly there's a communication issue.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think that's called a "droid called" if my memory serves.

It is referred to as a comlink. Stormtrooper helmets have them built-in...

Long distance phone calls are basically flickery blue holograms. Not even in full-colour! Clearly there's a communication issue.

Yes, well, interstellar communication isn't easy.

Lord Twig

Adventurer
Well Ahsoka isn't a Jedi. She is a force user, but she was kicked out of the Jedi Order. Likewise neither Kanan nor Ezra are Jedi. Kanan is a padawan, so that's close, but there are no Jedi... From a certain point of view. ;)

Staffan

Legend
Or how about, more simply, they honestly believe that there are no Jedi left alive? Jedi only feel each other over vast distances if there is some really major power going on. Yoda and Kenobi may well think them dead.
Season 1 has an episode where Kanan and Ezra locate a Jedi temple on Lothal. While Ezra goes on a trial in there, Kanan waits in an antechamber, and while there he has a telepathic conversation with Yoda (the ability to do so apparently being triggered by him taking on an apprentice of his own).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Season 1 has an episode where Kanan and Ezra locate a Jedi temple on Lothal. While Ezra goes on a trial in there, Kanan waits in an antechamber, and while there he has a telepathic conversation with Yoda (the ability to do so apparently being triggered by him taking on an apprentice of his own).

But, this is still years before A New Hope, right? Again - Yoda has years to come to the idea that they've passed.

Staffan

Legend
But, this is still years before A New Hope, right? Again - Yoda has years to come to the idea that they've passed.

Certainly, but it means that Yoda was aware that there were more Jedi remaining than him and Obi-Wan - or at least that there were eight years ago (Rebels is five years before A New Hope, and Empire is three years after).

Kaodi

Hero
Very unlikely that Ezra or Sabine would be old enough to die of natural causes. Ezra is more or less a contemporary of Luke and Leia, and Sabine is only a bit older I think. I have not been able to watch Season 2 of Rebels because of some channel tomfoolery here in Canada, but I thought that Ezra was had substantial natural force power, as seen in how he influenced those crazy darknesslovingwhatchamacallums.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Yes, well, if you feel like thinking the worst of people, feel free, I guess.

Me, I kind of figure that a decision by writers 30+ years later probably shouldn't be attributed to moral failings of the character by default.

Certainly, but it means that Yoda was aware that there were more Jedi remaining than him and Obi-Wan - or at least that there were eight years ago (Rebels is five years before A New Hope, and Empire is three years after).

Consider, from Yoda's point of view, the average life expectancy of Jedi (or even more generally, non-Dark Side force users) from Order 66 onwards.

Remove ads