[Hillsboro, OR] Starting a Firefly (Cortex Plus) Game

MacAllen

First Post
Greetings,
Have you ever noticed that advertising for gamers is a lot like a profile on an online dating site? In this case, it’s a very close parallel because I’m very picky about whom I game with as I’m an unusual GM. I am a character/narrative-driven GM, not an encounters one. We will go multiple sessions without the hint of combat, going through complex character interactions, with party members and NPCs, which doesn’t jive with a lot of players’ interests. Additionally I feed off the energy of my players, the more they invest, the more immersive the game becomes for all of us, so players who sit there like a lump can bring the entire game down.

So, if any of the following are true about you, we’re not a fit and thanks for reading, no hard feelings:
- You like to play phone/tablet/laptop games when you’re not the center of attention.
- You love loud, active side conversations with the other players that often derail the game, again when you’re not the center of attention.
- You’ve ever said “Dammit, it’s been an hour and I’ve not killed anything!”
- You’ve ever said “What’s up with all of this stupid dialog?”
- You smoke (anything) or drink (a lot) during a game.
- You hate Firefly/Serenity.
- You want to be led by the hand through the content, fed the storyline, and don't like being creative and innovative.
- You like destroying the party or game for your own amusement. You like backstabbing, stealing from the party, or in general making the game about you.
- You're a rules lawyer and or min/maxing game mechanic focused player. If the mechanics of the game, or the system, are more important than the story, you won't be a fit. This is especially true if you like arguing about the rules.
- If your idea of a gaming session is walking in, plopping your bag down, rolling initiative, and doing combat all night, you’ll hate playing with me.

If you're still reading at this point then there is hope :) I’m starting a long-term Serenity campaign, using the latest Firefly Cortex Plus rule set from MW. It’s a new start in an old ‘Verse, complete with maps and lore already in place, but none of the characters will know any of it. It's post-Miranda and you will never run into Mal & Co. Nothing custom, and the system is very rules-light, which is right up my alley. There’s an additional twist I’ve added that I am blatantly stealing from another IP, but it’s minor and only applies to the earliest parts of the campaign.

I currently have 2 couples who want to play, but I’d like a 5th player, and perhaps a 6th, if I can find people with the right fit to the group. The game will be at 6pm Wednesdays at my Hillsboro residence (large, comfortable gaming room). If you’re interested, drop me an email (macallen at gmail . com) and we can chat about it.

Thanks,
Chris

PS I'm posting this in 3-4 different places so you may see it elsewhere as well. I'm fishing in multiple ponds, hoping I get lucky and find the perfect gamers :)

Remove ads